Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I don't blame you one bit. I am a side sleeper as well.. The foam pad gets me by, but I don't love it. Carrying the small Neo Air is not a bad idea.

Have you used it under your legs for cool nights?

4"...that sounds glorious for ground sleeping!

It may depend on how you use your ridge line. My systems is a single line between two trees with prussiks (and mini biners) connected to the tarp. I like that system for a variety of reasons, but it is certainly good in rough weather.
    My pack has a foam pad that comes out that fits great in the bottom of my quilt.

I did however use the blowup pad under me in an area where the wind was sneaking under my tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    My pack has a foam pad that comes out that fits great in the bottom of my quilt.

I did however use the blowup pad under me in an area where the wind was sneaking under my tarp.
    Nice...what pack?
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Nice...what pack?
    I used the gossamer gear gorilla for both the AT and PCT. It met my needs and they were good about fixing any issues. They replaced if free twice when I had issues so no complaints. I have since put a roll top on it and I like it better than the drawstring top on the 2017. Gossamer Gear promptly started putting roll tops on them now so I guess they get the info.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I used the gossamer gear gorilla for both the AT and PCT. It met my needs and they were good about fixing any issues. They replaced if free twice when I had issues so no complaints. I have since put a roll top on it and I like it better than the drawstring top on the 2017. Gossamer Gear promptly started putting roll tops on them now so I guess they get the info.
    Ah...right on. My wife had a Gorilla in 2011 for our first hike (AT). it was a decent pack. I think they have changed beyond recognizability since then.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

A good all-terrain set-up is to replace the hammock tarp with an MLD Trailstar. A tough little tent that will keep you safe if you get caught out on exposed ground in stormy weather. The trailstar also works really well as a hammock tarp.

Add a Nemo Tensor and you'll be almost as comfortable sleeping on the ground as you are in a hammock. I have the short shoulder-to-knee 3/4 version. It's so deep & soft I had to buy a lightweight inflatable pillow!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123