Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    tenting is the equivelent of a bum crawling into a cardboard box.
    HAMMOCKING IS AN ART

it takes training

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516

There you go.

Oh I'm starting from Bear Mountain to William Brien Shelter end of April doing all of Section 12 on the AT to dial in some of my gear with a few friends. One is a noobie. Figuring out some last minute things before my 40 mile hike End of May. You're more than welcome to join us at Bear Mountain Inn. PM me if you are interested. You can bring your tent as my noob will be tenting. 25 mile round trip we may make it a 2 night trip just to relax and enjoy ourselves.

To me it's more about the experience than making distances.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    HAMMOCKING IS AN ART

it takes training
    Best quote ever! I'm making it my signature on WhiteBlaze and HF.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12
    Suspension
    slap straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    HAMMOCKING IS AN ART

it takes training

ha I never thought of it that way!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    The best way for you to find out what is best for you is to try some options out. I was strictly an on the ground camper with a tarp for a shelter. But as I have gotten older, the ground has got a lot hard. Then came my wool blanket hammock... too small. Then made one out of an old parachute that I had...too many stitchings made it very uncomfortable. Bought a Claytor JH, and with a home made SPE and sleeping bag I have been WAY more comfortable than I have ever been on the ground!

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I've been hammock camping for two years now and I still don't have an under quilt. I dont use a sleeping pad much either. If you're backpacking in a moderate climate (late spring through early fall), you're fine without either. IMHO

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'd like to point out one thing. Hammocks are much more versatile. You can easily set up a hammock on the ground if need be but pretty darn difficult to hang your tent in the trees. I've been hammocking for several years now and have only gotten skunked one night and that was in Joshua Tree Park which is a desert.

My friend converted to hammocks after a ten day hike. He said he had to hike many extra miles several days because he couldn't find a flat spot to set up his tent. he said there were countless places to hang a hammock. he's now a true believer and convert.

Ther are many ways to cut the cost of hammocking. Number one would be to sell your tent in order to defray the cost of a new hammock.

Good luck, Miguel

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The southern tier of NY can be unpredictable even late spring and early fall. But a pad would be a suitable alternative. As far as making you a believer, I am not even going to try. You have a choice. Try it or don't. Get down to the MAHHA event in April and check things out before you take the plunge. If you want to get to central PA and bum a ride down with me that could be arranged. Up to you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I guess I'm one of the "wrong" people Hooch speaks of...I am just as comfortable on a good air mattress as in a hammock. For me, it's about convenience. A hammock allows me the option of setting up over uneven, rocky, rooty, rain gullied, hill sides and even standing water areas. It gives me the option of stopping at a water source for supper and then hiking on until dark confident in the knowledge that it will be no problem to find a place to set up for the night. Since I have already eaten, even setting up after dark is only a minor inconvenience.

Pads work very well in a hammock. They are a light, inexpensive, waterproof, and pretty much foolproof way to stay warm in a hammock. They also give you the option to go to ground if you were to have an equipment failure or misjudge the overnight temperature. Hooch is right about the comfort of an underquilt but again, the wrong in me won't allow me to long distance hike with a quilt. I just can't justify the weight. A SPE is a great option but for the cost of that you could make or even buy a lightweight hammock and put a second layer on it. If the pads are between the layers they are quite comfortable.

As far as netting, I've used tule or wedding veil material for years. Super lightweight and inexpensive. It won't stop noseeums but that has only been a problem on one occasion and only until dark. A little bug spray took care of them.

Keep it simple and hammocking doesn't have to be heavy or expensive. Give it a real try as there is a learning curve. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Thermarest pad on the ground - wake up every 30 minutes all night long to shift body due to aching shoulders and hips. Checking watch constantly to see how much longer it will be before the sun might even hint about coming up so that I can crawl out of the confined area and start working the kinks out of the joints.

Thermarest pad in the hammock - sleep like a baby. Get up when I feel like it, feeling refreshed for the next section of hiking. Have a comfortable bed, chair, recliner to relax in especially if stuck in an all day down pour.

Last summer was my first year to use a hammock backpacking and I'm not planning on using my tent again. My opinion, even if your hammock setup weighs a pound or 2 more than a tent it's definitely worth it for the added benefits and functionality.
    DanD

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast