Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It hasn't been said so be sure your sealer is for the correct fabric. It's my understanding that the sealer used for nylon is different than that used for polyester. Maybe RSTBR, being "ripstop" means it is always nylon.

Perhaps the corn starch (talcum power) thing is for those of us who cannot wait until it is bone dry. The talcum itself can be rather messy but I'm sure it washes off on the first rain.

The only "leak" I've ever experienced was the panel pulls on the SuperFly. I had NOT sealed them - NOTE, instructions say to seal them but prior to that I never had to seal a tarp so I just figured it was option. IT IS NOT.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    **UPDATE**
    Ok, So we'll know in the morning if I did this correctly lol. I waited for the wife and kid to leave then headed to the basement to get started. I kept everything upstairs until I was ready, then after spreading the tarp out on the floor I realized it has a different type of seam than my OMW and Chill tarps do. This tarp has grosgrain ribbon outside , where they have a flat seam. So, I spread it with my fingers the best I could and went to work lol. I had a ceramic heater at each end of the tarp since the floor was really cold and that seemed to keep it from getting gloopy on me before I could work it in. At first I kinda spread it a little wide until I got the hang of it, but after a few feet it was much neater. I got about halfway done and decided to quit for the night since I was no longer home alone and had Daddy duty once again. Before I was done I made sure the seam wasnt sticking together as best I could but it might be slightly since there was a fold there from it being in its stuff sack and folded up for soooooo long. We shall see! I did leave the heaters on for now but will turn them off in a little while, I just wanted to make sure it's at least tacky before I go to bed . Any tips ?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Btw, the tarp is 1.1 silpoly and I got Seamgrip + Sil sealer , I got the right stuff right? Proly should have asked first lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

**UPDATE** lol,
    Just checked and it's actually drying well surprisingly. I can tell it's still wet underneath but the top is only slightly tacky. I do have some towels underneath so it's not laying directly on the ice cold cement floor and turned the heaters off. Hopefully it penetrated deep enough! I'll find out when it rains hu? Lol. Fishbites comment has got me a little worried that I didn't spread it far enough but its definitely covered so only stress and rain will tell I guess.....

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    *** FINAL UPDATE ***

So this morning I was doing what comes natural after one drinks too much coffee, and while I was sitting there I happened to glance over to the vanity and instantly had a gigantic lightbulb moment lol. I noticed the 10ml syringe that comes with liquid children's Tylenol and it made me remember a vid that Jellyfish did where she used a dental syringe to seal her green diy tarp. I went down and checked the section I did last night to find that my worries related to Fishbites comment above were indeed justified : I hadn't pulled the seam apart far enough/ correctly for the sealant to work it's way totally into the threads and needle holes.

With moderate force the dried sealant pulled apart exposing the unsealed thread below. I then went ahead and did this to the entire half of the tarp I had already done to prep it for using the syringe. After setting up the heaters again I went to work, using 2 fingers on one hand to open the seam completely exposing the unsealed area while injecting the sealant directly onto the thread. I did about 3 inches at a time.: pulling the seam apart, injecting , letting the seam close, re-opening , then using the brush to work it in where needed. This method of opening and closing the seam with the sealant applied really helped to work it deep into the needle holes and into the thread itself. I only had to use the brush mainly to spread excess sealer down the seam. Once I got past the area that I did last night it was even easier to apply and ended up 100× neater since I wasn't "painting" it on. Now I'll just wait for it to cure and hope that I did a better job, but I'm pretty sure that it's in deep enough this time though. So thanks to Fishbite, Jellyfish, and too much coffee this morning I think I just might have a seam that's gonna keep me dry! Crazy how things work out sometimes isn't it ? LOL !!!! Pics to come once it cured and I can pitch it for the first time with the new Chameleon finally.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    The finished product. I must say, I'm quite happy with how it turned out..... Especially for my first real seal job.

IMG_20200109_152416.jpgIMG_20200109_152454.jpgIMG_20200109_145535.jpgIMG_20200109_144730.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Now all we both need is some rain to run a “test”! I got a new Mountain fly for Christmas and went through the whole “how do I seal this when it’s cold out” thing.

I used the sealer Warbonnet sent with the tarp and thinned it with some Coleman fuel. I was concerned this would not work or somehow muck up the works but it seemed to work perfectly. The thinning allowed it to soak into the seams quite well. I had hung the tarp as normal from trees in my yard to tension it and open the seams as it would be in normal use. Seemed to work ok and, despite the cool temps, it dried just fine overnight. No tackiness at all and it looks pretty good. I didn’t have a syringe handy but worked out of a little mixing dish with a stiff short bristle brush about a 1/4” wide.

Tried it out hoping for rain yesterday but we got all snow! Time will tell.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12