Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The first netted hammock that I slept in, as a kid, was a military WWII "Jungle Hammock." The Clark reminds me a lot of that. Totally bomb-proof! The two biggest differences to me are that the JH has a built-in rain fly and it smells like an old tent!

I disagree with the statement that a Clark doesn't need add-ons. It certainly requires a rain fly (tarp) and needs at least some form of bottom insulation. Yes, the length can be an issue and the weight isn't trivial but the hammock is definitely going to hold up over time.

Over the years (and I mean many years) I've often thought of buying one and I just might have to do that.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Brommeland View Post
    This video gave me the impression that the Clark design is flat like a bridge, but in looking at it, it seems to be a variant of a GE design. How flat do they lay? Any issues with knee hyper-extension or calf ridge? Can you lay straight down the center (like a bridge) with an air mat, or are they meant for a diagonal lay? I'm looking for something like a Ridgerunner, but wide enough for a guy 6'2" 250# with shoulders like a Wookie to use with an inflatable pad. Is this it? Thanks to all who reply.
    They are definitely meant to be slept in on a diagonal. I've had a nx-250 in the past and currently have a nx-270. Not the largest (longest) hammock on the market but they are very comfortable IMO. Not much in the way of calf pressure but they are a bit tricky to hang. Installing a ridgeline on one helps for sure.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The first netted hammock that I slept in, as a kid, was a military WWII "Jungle Hammock." The Clark reminds me a lot of that. Totally bomb-proof! The two biggest differences to me are that the JH has a built-in rain fly and it smells like an old tent!

I disagree with the statement that a Clark doesn't need add-ons. It certainly requires a rain fly (tarp) and needs at least some form of bottom insulation. Yes, the length can be an issue and the weight isn't trivial but the hammock is definitely going to hold up over time.

Over the years (and I mean many years) I've often thought of buying one and I just might have to do that.
    I guess it is a variation of both. You don't have to lay on much of a diagonal but just moving like 5 inches for you head and feet and you will get flat. One of the tricks is the fabric and the amount of stretch which is very little. They when you do lay just a little diagonal you will notice the spreader bars will rotate with you moving towards your feet and head. It is hard to describe but it was something I was surprised to learn. Your lucky, I had to buy the whole company to discover how nice they lay. Over all it is a really sturdy and comfortable hammock.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    It's my go-to. Primarily because I can keep warm in it and I love the feature-set. The Z-Liner was the first no-hassle insulation that ever worked for my. Suspended quilts always left me with frozen feet or shoulders and 10 trips in and out of the hammock at night trying to adjust the suspension to keep it tight, but not too tight. Slightly asym, but not too asym. Keep the ends gather to hold in heat but not too gathered or they just pop out. When it was perfect it was great, but the other 9 times it was hell.

Now I can sleep in it down into the mid thirties pretty easily and a bit more if needed but that's about as cold as I like to camp at all anyway so it's a nice fit. Considering a Jungle Pepper for those places where night time 20's intrude into spring and fall.

It's built well. It's big enough for me to be comfortable in 5'10" 230lbs. I like the internal access to the pockets. I like the poles on the NX-270 that keep the sides off my face. I added an internal accessory ridge-line with a mesh pocket to hold quick-grab items and an external structural ridge-line so I don't have to be so perfect in my strap placement and height. Sleep great in it other than my dang snoring when I sleep on my back. I'm too fat.

I tried and liked the Warbonnet, but I cant stay warm in that hammock. The shape and lay position just utterly confound me trying to setup the underquilt and so I can't really use it outside of warm weather where I do prefer it to the Clark which can get stuffy in summer.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I've enjoyed my Tropical. Ordered with the climashield option and no tarp. The factory suspension was changed out first thing.I use it year round. I'm not a diagonal sleeper, I just pad under the knees. Still might have the pole mods added. The Clark is 10 times better than other jungle style hammocks I've owned. I'm glad Clark will continue on.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    I've got the Vertex, and it is just amazingly fun if you camp with a girlfriend.

I should rephrase this :

What I prefer in having a girlfriend is using my Vertex.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    I've got the Vertex, and it is just amazingly fun if you camp with a girlfriend.

I should rephrase this :

What I prefer in having a girlfriend is using my Vertex.
    I have had a Vertex for a couple years. It is like the RV of hammocks.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have had a Vertex for a couple years. It is like the RV of hammocks.
    Well, now you build them, so you're gonna get tons of groupies !

"Hey baby, look what I built for you"

That could be a great pictures thread : "Lovers you lured into hammock camping with a Vertex". I must say mine look pretty cute inside this huge craddle. You just want to marry them when you see them like that. Innocent of any notions of suspension average breaking strenght, just sitting there, you being the great magus.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-13-2020 at 08:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12