Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got my Haven XL last week. Have to admit it takes some study, comes with instruction on how to put assemble but not how to hang. No mention of head high or feet high, that you have to figure out for yourself. Took the biggest part of a day to get it to where I was comfortable. Head roughly 12 inches high. Have spent 3 nights in it and must say I'm impressed. I'm 6'1, 240# and have plenty of room. The only thing that worries me is that the pockets the poles go in are awful shallow, if for some reason one would pop out the hammock is ruined, personally I think they should be twice as deep. She is a little heavy but I think the comfort is a decent trade off. Sorry I,m not smart enough to post pics.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I got my Haven XL last week. Have to admit it takes some study, comes with instruction on how to put assemble but not how to hang. No mention of head high or feet high, that you have to figure out for yourself. Took the biggest part of a day to get it to where I was comfortable. Head roughly 12 inches high. Have spent 3 nights in it and must say I'm impressed. I'm 6'1, 240# and have plenty of room. The only thing that worries me is that the pockets the poles go in are awful shallow, if for some reason one would pop out the hammock is ruined, personally I think they should be twice as deep. She is a little heavy but I think the comfort is a decent trade off. Sorry I,m not smart enough to post pics.
    This video from Haven gives some good tips for set-up.
    I do like my Haven. Not my go-to but has some good things about it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Hello there.
    I just ordered my new Haven XL yesterday, hoping for delivery end of July or August.
    I’ll try and get out ASAP and take a few pics.
    Does anyone else who owns one, have any experience of it in windy conditions?
    Take care, best regards Charlie.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent 90degree
    The main innovation of the Haven seems to be putting the bottom of the hammock well below the spreader bars and using a pad to hold the shape. It seems like a good concept, but oh the weight! I'd like to see them do a lightweight version. The changes that come to mind are:

1) Make it narrower at the foot than the head. Many pads are done this way.
    2) Shorten the catenary by putting the feet out past the spreader bar (The Griz bridge hammock did this on both ends). This is OK because the feet don't need a view or so much width.
    3) Lighter materials all around.

Reducing the pad in particular could help the weight, size, and time required to pump it up. It's even possible that a shorter pad could work in combo with a closed cell foam sit pad as insulation for the feet. I know this is getting outside of the theme of the product as being a simple tent rather than a complex hammock, but the size and weight probably prevent a lot of people from considering it.

I'm curious about this for backyard use. I see the videos like Shug's that confirm that air pads with horizontal baffles are needed to maintain its shape. I own several 30" wide Exped Megamat 4" and 6" self inflating pads. Since these have a foam core, I wonder how they would perform structurally compared to the Haven air pad. Has anyone come across a report of anyone trying this?

I got a Haven back in February. Took it to Baja in winter. Did fine both on ground tied 1 end to my bike, other to stake and a day in a palapa hammock style. Just got in a couple weeks ago from a kayak trip with my 12 yr old son. We brought the Haven and the Hennessy explorer. Had some rain, little bit of wind. I like it best I think of my hammocks, which also includes a Ridgerunner. I'm a dirt bike rider primarily, so my opinions aren't for the weight conscious backpackers. My thoughts:

1. Haven easiest to set up with tarp. Hands down. Rain, goes quick and dry if you packed it with tarp on. Easy peasy.
    2. Use their air mattresses. In the cold, I thought I could use my nemo cosmo pad. It was an inch or two too wide, kept popping up. Tried the mattress they sent with. Works great. I'll need to pony up the cash for their insulated one soon. Was good to know 40's, high 30's tho.
    3. Their expensive mattress inflates quick, bag as pump.
    4. Don't overdo pressure, wont be comfy.
    5. My son and I both thought the gathered end Hennessy style was a great nap in hammock. All night sleep? Bridge is best.
    6. Way haven is cut and tarp attaches makes it easy to somewhat seal from wind, rain. I havent had it in a driving sidewase rain yet tho.
    7. It's less hassle to set up than the Ridgerunner for similar comfort. Less "tarpology" hassle. Packs up smaller too, with haven air mattress. Much less tippy for a similar lay
    8. Quality seems on par with other stuff I've seen?

I'll probably buy another, the XL. I'm typically a side sleeper.

This sort of reminds me of the Crua Hybrid hammock tent. Obviously different in some ways. Has anyone ever used both? Would be interested to hear comparisons.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If anyone could make a video or post pics showing what happens if you lay in the Haven Tent with a closed cell foam pad or even no pad at all, I'd be much obliged. Purely for science. I have some PTSD when it comes to air pads and now I avoid them whenever possible. Plus the Haven pad is way too heavy for me. I really love the fact that this can go to the ground so much better than a hammock, so if I can use a CCF instead of the IP, I'm sold. I'm sure there's some shoulder squeeze involved, but I'd really like to see just how much. I have scoured YouTube and not one single reviewer tried it lol. Again, I know that's not how it was designed, I'm not even saying I think it's gonna work well. Just curious over here, so don't shoot me down!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj_browne View Post
    If anyone could make a video or post pics showing what happens if you lay in the Haven Tent with a closed cell foam pad or even no pad at all, I'd be much obliged. Purely for science. I have some PTSD when it comes to air pads and now I avoid them whenever possible. Plus the Haven pad is way too heavy for me. I really love the fact that this can go to the ground so much better than a hammock, so if I can use a CCF instead of the IP, I'm sold. I'm sure there's some shoulder squeeze involved, but I'd really like to see just how much. I have scoured YouTube and not one single reviewer tried it lol. Again, I know that's not how it was designed, I'm not even saying I think it's gonna work well. Just curious over here, so don't shoot me down!
    I tried laying in mine with no pad at all. Not comfortable!!!!
    Sunk down and it closed in all around me. My opinion is that this hammock's comfort is designed around using the supplied pad.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I tried laying in mine with no pad at all. Not comfortable!!!!
    Sunk down and it closed in all around me. My opinion is that this hammock's comfort is designed around using the supplied pad.
    Shug,
    Thanks so much. I guess if the Lord of Lollygag is the first to say it doesn't work, then I can put this thought out of my overly curious mind. Maybe that can be my new invention, a "structural" CCF pad that works for applications like this.

Or maybe I'll just stick to my gathered end hammock, let's be honest, I'll always end up back there anyways ��

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast