Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guides

Recommendations for re-waterproofing a nylon tarp?

My My MEC Silicone Guides 10'×13' silnylon tarp is about 12 years old now, and while I normally only go winter camping with it, last weekend's trip was rather wet. We didn't have heavy precipitation, but it did rain for what felt like 24 hours straight. I noticed my tarp was weeping water on the inside, and occasionally dripping down on my top quilt. Water hasn't beaded up on the surface for years, but since I usually only have it out in sub-zero temperatures, it was never an issue.

What's the consensus on rejuvenating the water-repellent coating on this type of tarp? I have two bottles of NikWax TX.Direct (one spray-on, one wash-in) already. Would their SolarProof be better? I don't need it to be breathable. Any other products I should consider, or DIY options? I live in a condo, so my options are limited/non-existent when it comes to being able to conveniently string up a tarp for treatment and subsequent drying.

outside of the products made for that purpose, i have heard of people using Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard.

Knew a guy that swore by food grade silicon spray - that stuff is a little messy though. You can also take a hair dryer to it to revive the DWR but 12 years . . . may not be much to revive.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guides
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    You can also take a hair dryer to it to revive the DWR but 12 years . . . may not be much to revive.
    Yeah, I'm going on the assumption that by now, the silnylon is just plain nylon. �� 303 is popular with the boating crowd since it works great with marine fabrics. It's a bit expensive for the coverage I want, although still cheaper and less wasteful than buying a new tarp...

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guides
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    Same process to add water resistance to canvas if you're making your own hot tent and don't want to buy the fancy (expensive) stuff. The issue I have is the smell, even with low-odour mineral spirits, the fumes in enclosed spaces (I don't have a backyard or balcony or deck where I can just hang something for a few hours to dry), and how the resulting fabric tends to stick to itself. This guy uses a much weaker concentration than I'm used to, though... I might give this a try on a small patch to see how it works out on nylon.

• + New Posts