Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was having a lot of fun too --- tying continuous loops, UCRs, whoopies, universal loops . . . . but then I started trying to tie a button knot . . . . watched a lot of videos . . . . now thinking of giving up backpacking . . . . I am either slow or have a learning disability when it comes to that knot . . . probably both.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good job. I was kind of amazed how easy it was myself when I started a few years ago. Wait until you try splicing some amsteel. It's a breeze compared to Zing-It!.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I go so long between projects that I have to re-watch how-to vids to remind me how
    Same here. I have the BrewGuy's videos favorited on YouTube so I don't have to search for them.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 01-20-2020 at 14:59.
    "Behold, as the wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I am making my own hammock soon, so I need a fixed ridgeline. Instead of my usual "find somewhere to buy one" attitude, I decided to look into this splicing thing. I didn't even know what "splicing" was until years into hanging. I figured it was too complicated and gave up before even trying.

So I got some galvanized wire from the garage and a scrap piece of zingit. EASY!!!! Again, why did I wait so long? This is actually fun!

First rushed attempt actually turned out perfect! I went a little overboard on the bury length though. Now on to a long piece of my hammock!

I don't think it looks like you went overboard on your bury length. For 1.75mm a textbook bury is 5" and for 2.2mm it's about 6.5". 8" bury for 7/64" Amsteel.

One "fid length" = 21x diameter of the rope. Bury length should be 3.5x fid length.

Granted, the "textbook" wasn't written with Zing-It in mind, but I still typically follow those guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Granted, the "textbook" wasn't written with Zing-It in mind...
    Very true. According to Samson, zing-it/lash-it is "non-spliceable". No matter what rules of thumb we follow, we're apparently doing it wrong.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a bury longer than what is actually considered the "minimum requirement".

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    I was having a lot of fun too --- tying continuous loops, UCRs, whoopies, universal loops . . . . but then I started trying to tie a button knot . . . . watched a lot of videos . . . . now thinking of giving up backpacking . . . . I am either slow or have a learning disability when it comes to that knot . . . probably both.
    IKWYM! I had to sit down one night with 2 different colored ropes and pause the animated knots video every 2 seconds to figure it out. Super cool once you get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    You are not alone! Alot of people have problems with button knots. It sometimes helps to take a break for a while and then come back to it.

If you "do" opt to go with a loop turner, Dutch sells them for around $6.50 + shipping, however, if you have a Joann Fabrics in your area they typically go for $2-$4 out the door and will drop to a buck around the holidays.

With either Dutch's or Joann's though, the "hook" tips of them have a tendency to pop off the rod end... which happened to my $1 holiday special when I tried to "upgrade" my splice kit. They "are" easier to use and don't require occassional straightening like wire, but a bit of wire has never failed me yet.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Normally I like having options, but everything I've ever used (about 10 hammocks over 8 years) had a fixed and it was perfect. I don't wanna start messing with stuff now.
    With that in mind... remember that zing-it is very low stretch, but not zero, so take that into account if you want a SRL that is identical in length to your current one.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter

“To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.” ~ Horace Kephart, 1906

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    With that in mind... remember that zing-it is very low stretch, but not zero, so take that into account if you want a SRL that is identical in length to your current one.
    If I measure the old one, should I add maybe subtract a half inch? Or did the hammock material likely also stretch, negating the whole issue?

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If I measure the old one, should I add maybe subtract a half inch? Or did the hammock material likely also stretch, negating the whole issue?
    According to samson, here's how much it stretches based upon weight as a % of break strength (500lb)

It's 1.2% at 30% of break strength (150 lbs), so it could stretch significantly with a 110" SRL with a slightly shallow hang. SRL isn't supposed to be that tight, but as we know stuff happens.

Personally, I had one that stretched more than I thought (compared it to the original) on one of my Dariens (integrated zippered net... careful!) and I had to re-do it. If I were doing one now, I'd pull it really taut when making it, then take off about .75" and call it good.

But I've read quite a few places on the interwebs that there's no stretch and this just isn't the case.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter

“To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.” ~ Horace Kephart, 1906

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast