Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    So we've camped in winter before. This last weekend, against better judgement, I tried tenting again and it was a fail. Windy snow storm interfered with set up, to much gear, frozen ground thwarted tent pegs. Back to hanging I go.

My gear: 3 season Jarbidge UQ (next upgrade probably a full length zero degree), 10F HG down TQ, Superfly, Dutch Summer Sock, SOL breathable bivvy.

We sort of just leave the packs under hammock with their rain cover attached. We are a bit lazy with this, sometimes leaving bits and pieces out. I think during a blow like we had this last trip I want a) all gear secured in back while I'm in hammock, b) pack protected. So the question: do you guys hang your packs on a tree, keep them under hammock, put them in orange plastic bags? What works for you?

My pack just sits under my tarp with me on the ground by my hammock.

So I want my boots handy for that midnight call of nature. Not agile enough for p-bottle strategy. Up to now I get the occasional flake in them, but have been lucky. I think orange trash bag (not white (snow) or black (darkness). So the question: where do your boots go when you winter hammock?
    Keep my boots or mukluks right by me opened up wide and spread so I can get up and easily step into them when I get up to pee. I always have a pee spot dug and cleared right by my rig. Shovel over it in the morn.

The motivation for trying a tent again was to get out of weather for cooking and that time between dinner and turning in. Places we go have fire bans at times or we are backpacking and not interested in scrounging wood. So the question: Do you guys bring a secondary shelter (lightweight tipi?) for hanging and cooking in? Or just pitch the hammocks under same fly?
    Usually cook out in open but am using a white gas Whisperlite stove. Coffee is done with my Fancee Fest stove right by me under my tarp in the AM. Fancee Feest is used only for morning coffee.

Up to now I have not had trouble with tent or fly stakes in winter. If snow is deep enough I can "dead man" them. I carry extra line to extend reach to a helpful tree sometimes, I've even tied off to pack and left that out. So the question: stake suggestions for frozen ground when snow is maybe 3-4".
    If snow is shallow and ground frozen gutter nails work good. Pound them in.

Wind was a whipping. No way stove (alky) was going to maintain a flame. I may invest in the trangia wind screen system despite it's bulk. Snow not deep enough to dig a hole. So the question: without a tent/shelter how do you keep a stove going in storm conditions? I thought of a bothy shelter but that seems a bit extreme - and won't work if solo (mental image of making sitting snow man to share shelter with).
    MSR Whisperlight stove. White gas. May have to stack some logs or make a snow wall if truly windy but never had a problem.

Some (all?) of these may be answered with a fly that extends to ground?

I do see that there is an upcoming winter hang in PA. I may have to journey down there.

Again, we do winter camp now. Just working through tweaking some of our practices.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    What I do might not work for you
    Sometimes, what I do, doesn’t work for me

If it’s not snowing or raining, I hang almost empty pack with carabiner on hammock suspension.
    This keeps it off ground and keeps it from being dragged away, by critters, while I’m sleeping.
    Unlikely to happen, what would you do if you woke up and your pack was gone? How would you be able to pack out your gear with no pack?
    A bedroll?

Same with boots, they are tied together and tied to suspension at end of hammock. Or they are tied together and also tied to camp stool under hammock. Again how are you gonna hike out of there with one boot, after a critter absconds with your other boot during the night? This is a rare occurrence, but it does happen.

If it’s raining or snowing, pack is inside large sturdy trash bag. Amsteel is larksheaded onto pack loop and extends out of top of trash bag, then it is tied around top of trashbag, tying it closed and then it is tied to hammock suspension at end of hammock. It stays reasonably dry and a critter would have to chew through amsteel to take my pack. I’d probably wake up during the commotion. This is no guarantee, and this most likely would not stop mice and rats from getting to my snacks in pack. It’s worked up till now.

I carry shower shoes for midnight tree watering.
    They are not secured, but if one disappears, no great loss. If raining or snowing, I mark my trees, and sometimes only go to end of tarp.

Tarp guylines, when possible are tied to trees and bushes. This makes a loose setup, that looks bad.

If windy and raining or snowing, some or all tarp corner guylines can be tied directly to trees I’m hanging on. Again this doesn’t look great, but it keeps most weather outside of tarp
    In high winds, I have tied tarp corners together and tied all end loops together and not tied or staked anything to ground
    Tarp now looks like a postal envelope upside down hanging from tarp ridgeline.

I do what works for me, and sometimes it doesn’t work as well as planned. It’s good to figure ways that work, and sometimes get better ideas from other hammock campers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12