WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far

Has anyone used the HH Expedition 2.5?

My first foray into camping hammocks, other than just lounging for an hour during a sunny day, was a classic Hennessy Expedition 2.5. Has anyone here used this one? I must admit I didn't take to it. Climbing up through the bottom was kinda cool, but then I felt trapped. That was a sensation I really didn't like. I kept a pocket knife at hand the one night I slept in it so I could cut myself out!

That being said it was a comfortable hammock. It was high summer when I crawled into it and it was a good night sleep with nothing but a sheet and boxers. Bugs didn't get me, I didn't have to worry about rolling off a pad, and there wasn't dirt and sand showing up in unpleasant places. But there was that trapped thing. And if I remember correctly I could only really sleep on one side.

I haven't seen anything from anyone anywhere online about the Expedition 2.5. Just wondering about others' experiences.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Haven’t tried that particular hammock, but I do use a deep jungle xl every now and then. It uses a zipper to get in and I like it better than the bottom entry. Or maybe try a netless hammock and add a bug sock. Netless hammocks just seem to be a little more comfortable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HomesteaderWB View Post
    My first foray into camping hammocks, other than just lounging for an hour during a sunny day, was a classic Hennessy Expedition 2.5. Has anyone here used this one?
    I started with an Expedition in 2014, used it in its stock version for a year or so, then replaced the ropes with whoopies and used it some more. Mine was the classic bottom entry, though eventually tricked out by 2QZQ with a #2 Mod. I've still got it, or rather my daughter has. If you want some video of it in use, some of my older videos will show it. Search my user name on YouTube to find them and you'll see it. I think there's a photo or two of it on my Instagram page as well.

The Expedition is a robust system, but after a while I found it somewhat small. I'm only 5'9" but still think the Exped is on the short side. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for one of Hennessy's larger hammocks in the Explorer series, probably with zipped bug net in the Explorer Ultralight. The bottom entry is cool in theory but a pain with any bottom insulation system, even Hennessy's own Super Shelter which I also have.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    I just checked out the 2QZQ site. Interesting. So far I’m really liking my Bridge hammock, but then the HH exped 2.5 is the only gathered end hammock I’ve ever tried. Other than a traditional Mayan string hammock, that is (ungawdly comfortable for naps and such!). I’m planning to keep the HH around to loan out and as a backup, but I wonder if doing the mod might be worth it..? I’m 5’ 10” and recall I spent a lot of that one night kicking and trying to stretch out.
    Last edited by HomesteaderWB; 01-26-2020 at 11:51. Reason: Clumsy wording

• + New Posts