View Poll Results: Would you ever buy an underquilt that is not a differentially cut UQ.

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 25.93%
  • No

30 55.56%
  • Maybe - explained in post

10 18.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Differential underquilt vs. Non-differential UQ

For anyone that has owned both a differentially cut underquilt and one that was not, would you ever in the future buy or make an underquilt that is not a differential UQ? Or if you are buying or making an underquilt for the first time, how important is a differential cut.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 03-22-2010 at 10:36.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My belief is that the differentially cut quilts are much better at their jobs than a flat quilt. I can't say that I would 'never' buy a flat quilt because sometimes a good deal is just a good deal. However, given a choice and the funds, I'd always pick a differentially cut quilt first.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The ONLY reason I would consider a flat versus differential UQ is if for some reason I wanted it to be dual use as a top quilt also. But that's a mote point really because (1) I can get away with a narrower shorter UQ than would work as a TQ, and (2) if I were to BUY another quilt it would be a deep winter TQ of the type starting to come out of our local cottage industry guys, (3) I can't justify BUYING another quilt because I must have over a pound of down left from one down buy or another that I need to use first to make one.

I was never very good at short answers
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Honestly, after helping MrsMustardman make our differentially cut UQ's, it takes an extra couple of minutes of confirming your math during the design stage, and no real extra labor, so I see no reason to do anything that's not a differential design. The only exception might be a sewn-thru summer quilt, where the differential wouldn't make much sense to begin with.

Even for a TQ, I think the differential cut makes sense, since the quilt is gonna be curved around you anyway. I've played with our UQs and they make mighty warm TQ's too.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    It would have to be a good deal for me to buy a non-differential, rectangular underquilt for an end-gathered hammock. I think putting a rectangular quilt on the bottom of an end-gathered hammock sucks. I think rectangular topquilts with drawcords that make the footboxes suck too.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Coldspring - I think we all understand now that you don't like JRB's products. Let it rest.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm with Cannibal and Mustardman. Adding a differential doesn't take too much extra effort, but it does take a little more time in the design/planning stage. For that reason, maybe it's a bit much for a FIRST quilt project depending on how adventurous the stitcher is. (Stitcher sounds much better than sewer, IMO... )

But I think differential designs fit much better than flat-shell designs...you can pull them tight to get a great fit and not worry about compressing the down.

I think it makes better sense for a TQ as well, if you're only talking about fit. And for the same reason...your body is a 3D shape so a 3D quilt will fit it better.

But you do give up multi-use any time you're making something specifically for a single-use. E.g. - the Winter Yeti and MWUQ are great fits for underquilts. But I often use the MWUQ4 as a top quilt as well...can't do that with the Yeti b/c it's not full-length. At the same time, the MWUQ4 fits better as an underquilt than the Stealth...but I can't wear the MWUQ4 as a poncho. So I love the NS and Stealth design and often use them as worn insulation. I like the multi-use design and think it fulfills its role admirably.

That said, you could make a differentially cut UQ that has a poncho hole in it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

UQ poll

Hi: I'm relatively new to hammocks, but have been sewing for about 50 years. My first UQ with baffles was rectangular non-diff. I used down sucked out of an old sleeping bag. I find it hard to get the UQ snug without smooshing the down. It's heavier than it needs to be due to the extra fabric that just has to be gathered anyway and it doesn't fit very well at the ends. It was a good learning experience with putting in the baffles and the down, but now I'm gearing up for UQ #2 as a gift for a friend. She has a gathered end also so there is no doubt I'm going diff this time, probably shaped also, sort of like a blunt end canoe. I'm still in the thinking stage, but am getting closer to actual cutting and sewing. As others have said, I think the sewing will be fine, it's the planning and decisions that are more difficult with this type of quilt.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The planning stages are my favorite part. It's kinda like daydraming about making gear without the seam ripping. I will only make differential quilts in the future. It is amazing how much we have changed in just 2 years. bridge hammocks, differential baffles, and whoopie slings. Can't wait to see what is around the bend. I hope it's Shug.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd by a non-dif in one circumstance... if it was really cheap
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast