Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Looking for the sweet spot

This weekend was a time for backyard hanging to try out some new gear including my Switchback hammock. So Friday night I got everything rigged (Switchback, MacCat Deluxe with Opie's new toggled ridge line, MW4UQ, whoopie slings). For the life of me, I couldn't find the "sweet spot" and wound up with only about 2 hours sleep. Ugh!

Wondering if it was only me, I swapped out the Switchback for my trusty Blackbird and slept comfortably and soundly on Saturday night.

My experience was a dramatically more comfortable "lie" with the WBBB over the Switchback. The Switchback is beautifully made and hugely spacious. I want to like it, but it's not a good start so far. I'll give it another night or two. It may just be me...or the way I had it hung. Next time I'll try it with a bit more sag (the absence of a fixed ridgeline may have contributed to pitching issues).

What have other Switchback users found?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    It may just be me...or the way I had it hung. Next time I'll try it with a bit more sag (the absence of a fixed ridgeline may have contributed to pitching issues).
    First, I am not (yet) a Switchback owner.

That said - I think you hit the nail on the head there - it was likely the slight learning curve of a non-structural ridgeline hammock. It's very easy to set them up with too much, or too little sag. Experiments with ridgeline length show us that it doesn't take much to seriously affect the comfort level (folks talk of even an inch change can seriously affect the hang). I believe that once you "dial" it in for you, it'll be a great hang.

This may not be ideal, perhaps other owners and the makers could chime in, but could you add a structural ridgeline to it without negatively affecting the interior space?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Beep... I also think it needs a RL. I couldnt quite find the sweet spot in mine either.

I was going to add a RL if my intention was to keep it... But I didnt want to canibalize the bug net by poking a couple holes in it if I was going to turn around and sell it.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Beep... I also think it needs a RL. I couldnt quite find the sweet spot in mine either.

I was going to add a RL if my intention was to keep it... But I didnt want to canibalize the bug net by poking a couple holes in it if I was going to turn around and sell it.
    That's my dilemma. I really like the hammock's construction quality and spaciousness, but it's bulkier and heavier than my WBBB. Since both weight and bulk are a priority for me in my gear selection as a backpacker with pretensions of going lighter, I want to give it a fair shot, but I may end up selling it.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Beep... I say take the plunge. I think with a RL... It will be a contender in the top spot for hammocks. Just heat up the end of a pin and poke a small hole in the center of the bug net on either end and slip some zing it or some other small line through.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    This weekend was a time for backyard hanging to try out some new gear including my Switchback hammock. So Friday night I got everything rigged (Switchback, MacCat Deluxe with Opie's new toggled ridge line, MW4UQ, whoopie slings). For the life of me, I couldn't find the "sweet spot" and wound up with only about 2 hours sleep. Ugh!

Wondering if it was only me, I swapped out the Switchback for my trusty Blackbird and slept comfortably and soundly on Saturday night.

My experience was a dramatically more comfortable "lie" with the WBBB over the Switchback. The Switchback is beautifully made and hugely spacious. I want to like it, but it's not a good start so far. I'll give it another night or two. It may just be me...or the way I had it hung. Next time I'll try it with a bit more sag (the absence of a fixed ridgeline may have contributed to pitching issues).

What have other Switchback users found?
    Beeb,

Have you played with the suspension angle ? 30 degrees is a good starting point. Try starting out with a little more sag than usual and then tighten in increments of about 1" of strap on both ends. This is how I found my sweet spot in all of my hammocks, some less sweet than others. If you want, PM me your phone # and I will give you call.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another one thinking it was probably the sag of the hammock that was responsible for any discomfort. Blackbirds will spoil you...and fast! However, I find my Switchback to be a very comfortable hammock when it's set correctly. Keep playing with it and I think you'll find a hang that works for you.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    A middle aged thread I know, but I had the same issue last night. Granted, it was my first night in the Switchback but I was not comfortable at all. I'm going to play around with different degrees and sags. I may be trying to make it a flatter hang as I'm a newbie. If I were to go to a structural ridge line, does it attach to the ring buckles? I really want this hammock to work. It is well made and quite spacious.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    A middle aged thread I know, but I had the same issue last night. Granted, it was my first night in the Switchback but I was not comfortable at all. I'm going to play around with different degrees and sags. I may be trying to make it a flatter hang as I'm a newbie. If I were to go to a structural ridge line, does it attach to the ring buckles? I really want this hammock to work. It is well made and quite spacious.
    Hey Millarky! You can stop by and take a look at mine. PM me if ya wanna stop by tonight or anytime.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It seems to take a bit more tinkering to get that 'sweet spot' in my Switchback, maybe because it's narrower than the BB or Traveler. But once I found it, my opinion is that it's as comfortable as anything else available. YMMV, as always.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast