Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Desert Camo HH Clone

I’m almost finished with my Desert Camo HH Clone with removable and interchangeable bug netting and over cover. The only thing I have left to do is make some knot covers for the ends.

A few months ago I found some really nice tan 1.9 ounce nylon and some 1.1 ounce desert camo nylon at WalMart and decided I must make a Desert Camo Hammock. Thanks to Wilsonbmw for disassembling his HH and HC4U for taking the lead and posting about making an HH Clone.

I had a couple different ideas I wanted to try. The HH has corner reinforcements on the sides with the netting. I know the shape of the netting helps form the Asym shape but I believe the corner reinforcements have a lot to do with it too. So I added them to the bed of the hammock to help hold the Asym shape when no cover or netting is being used. I believe it will work real well in maintaining the shape.

I also added similar reinforcements to the end which reduces the length of the cover required. I used Velcro on one side and both ends and a zipper on the side next to where my head lies. You can see the zipper pull above my head in the self portrait. By using the end reinforcements it makes the zipper easily within reach, so a 2 way zipper is not needed.

The netting is some very stretchy material from WalMart. I’ve been told it’s like what they use in making skaters costumes so it looks like skin. All I know is that it’s not Velcro friendly at all, or maybe it is because it sure likes to stick to the hook side. Maybe I should have put the hook side on the hammock and the loop side on the netting and covers. I’ll probably try to get some real no-seeum netting sometime and replace it. But if I have to sew this stuff again I need to tape it and sew through the tape. It was no fun to sew at all.

Hammock with Overcover
    Hammock with bug netting
    Hammock with cover or netting
    Bottom Entry Slit
    Side Tie outs
    Hammock End
    Self portrait inside hammock
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stoikurt, nice hammock. Are you bringing it to blackie's hang? I really like the way the reinforcement patches look!

The only thing I saw that looked a little off was that orange and blue shirt you had on!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a really nice looking hammock stoikurt. How's it feel? The reinforcement patches look awesome
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Stoikurt, nice hammock. Are you bringing it to blackie's hang? I really like the way the reinforcement patches look!

The only thing I saw that looked a little off was that orange and blue shirt you had on!
    If I can come I will certainly bring it. GO GATORS!
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That's a really nice looking hammock stoikurt. How's it feel? The reinforcement patches look awesome
    Thanks. I've only napped in it so far, but felt good. It's just too blasted hot to sleep outside right now.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Great looking hammock Stoikurt.
    That is the first I've seen with those triangular reinforcement pieces at the side tieouts and on the ends. From the pictures it really does look like it helps form/hold the asym shape.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    ..... All I know is that it’s not Velcro friendly at all, or maybe it is because it sure likes to stick to the hook side. Maybe I should have put the hook side on the hammock and the loop side on the netting and covers. ...[/URL]
    Been there, done that... dont do it....IMHO
    the hook picks up everything and you can damage it by sitting on it(rubbing across it etc) I am in the process of changing out just the hook portion for some smaller size. First one I used was 1". The hooks on that were huge and caused me some grief everytime I switched out the but net. I am gonna try some with smaller hooks. It appears to hold about the same but does not catch my net as bad.

I am sure ther are far better ideas to follow by others but the hook on the hammock portion itself caused me more grief than the way it is.

I hope this helps..

GREAT LOOKING HAMMOCK!! Good job!
    Last edited by TDunc; 08-08-2007 at 13:12. Reason: dyslexic fingers and spelling! lol

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile

Thanks. I've only napped in it so far, but felt good. It's just too blasted hot to sleep outside right now.
    How about now? Heehee.

It's 99 in SC today. That means it's probably about 150 or so where you're at, I guess. A low of 78 last night with 80% humidity made it just no fun to try to sleep outside. I didn't even want to try.

Nice hammock, BTW.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    How about now? Heehee.

It's 99 in SC today. That means it's probably about 150 or so where you're at, I guess. A low of 78 last night with 80% humidity made it just no fun to try to sleep outside. I didn't even want to try.

Nice hammock, BTW.
    Charlotte 100 with heat index of 108 I'm headed to the pool!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post

All I know is that it’s not Velcro friendly at all, or maybe it is because it sure likes to stick to the hook side. Maybe I should have put the hook side on the hammock and the loop side on the netting and covers. I’ll probably try to get some real no-seeum netting sometime and replace it. But if I have to sew this stuff again I need to tape it and sew through the tape. It was no fun to sew at all.
    Been there, done that... dont do it....IMHO
    the hook picks up everything and you can damage it by sitting on it(rubbing across it etc) I am in the process of changing out just the hook portion for some smaller size. First one I used was 1". The hooks on that were huge and caused me some grief everytime I switched out the but net. I am gonna try some with smaller hooks. It appears to hold about the same but does not catch my net as bad.

I am sure ther are far better ideas to follow by others but the hook on the hammock portion itself caused me more grief than the way it is.

I hope this helps..
    I recently have experience using "Free Magic" velcro (like Omnitape, I think) to fasten no-see-um netting to a hammock body. Happily there are no issues with the velcro snagging the netting.

Sewing through the Free Magic though seems to require some tension adjustment on the thread. Otherwise I get thread balls galore on the underside.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast