Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    Here are a few pics of the Antarctic Mat in action tonight on top of the Ecotec Hybern8insulated pad. I've got my Darn Tough ¼ crew hiker socks + 281Z Polartec fleece liner socks, Condor BASE II midweight micro grid fleece top & bottom, TNF thin synthetic fitted tee + Russell lightweight base layer top, ragg wool & Thinsulate fingerless gloves, and my HF Buff + TNF beanie. I have the HG down hood here on standby if it gets cold enough as well. I'm also using the Snugpak fleece sleeping bag liner and HG 20° Econ Burrow. I tried to get pics of how the Antarctic pad is situated and also got a close up of the Snugpak fleece liner........ Questions? Comments?.

    IMG_20200221_214928.jpgIMG_20200221_214837.jpgIMG_20200221_215221.jpgIMG_20200221_215351.jpgIMG_20200221_215330.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  2. #12
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    [QUOTE=cmc4free;2010132]Not knocking the setup you plan to try, but isn't it supposed to be capable of working on its own, without another pad underneath?

    With a mat on top of a pad and a 20° UQ underneath, I expect you'll be warm, but it might be hard to tell how well the "Antarctic" mat is working.

    Curious for your report though. I can't put a lot of stock into the previously linked review, since it's written by a "brand ambassador."[/QUOTE

    I'm not using an UQ, I meant 20° Burrow TQ if I typed it wrong lol. Totally a your point though regarding the brand ambassador and it's performance. I was gonna use it on its own tot, but wanted to see if it would even work in a hammock first. I'll definitely try that next if tonight goes well. So far is working great though and the comfort level of the pad has increased significantly. I would hope id be warm with what I'm using tonight, it not I need to retake the winter hanging class to renew my credentials! LOL
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  3. #13
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,692
    Images
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I'm not using an UQ, I meant 20° Burrow TQ if I typed it wrong lol. Totally a your point though regarding the brand ambassador and it's performance. I was gonna use it on its own tot, but wanted to see if it would even work in a hammock first. I'll definitely try that next if tonight goes well. So far is working great though and the comfort level of the pad has increased significantly. I would hope id be warm with what I'm using tonight, it not I need to retake the winter hanging class to renew my credentials! LOL
    You didn't type anything wrong. It was my mistake about the Burrow. I know that's a TQ - I even have one - but in that moment my brain connected the wrong dots. Good luck with your test tonight, and it'll be interesting to hear your report as you get more experience with it. I'm far from a Snugpak ambassador, and don't have nearly as much of their gear as you either, but I do have their jungle blanket and hammock underblanket, and both are good pieces of gear for their price. I do have faith in the brand and would be surprised if the Antarctic mat wasn't at least decent.

  4. #14
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    You didn't type anything wrong. It was my mistake about the Burrow. I know that's a TQ - I even have one - but in that moment my brain connected the wrong dots. Good luck with your test tonight, and it'll be interesting to hear your report as you get more experience with it. I'm far from a Snugpak ambassador, and don't have nearly as much of their gear as you either, but I do have their jungle blanket and hammock underblanket, and both are good pieces of gear for their price. I do have faith in the brand and would be surprised if the Antarctic mat wasn't at least decent.
    I've always wondered how the whole brand Ambassador thing worked. They do make some pretty decent stuff though don't they?.It's definitely NOT the lightest by any stretch but for the money is usually work the trade off I think. So far I'm warm and comfortable with it tonight so well see how it goes!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  5. #15
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    ***UPDATE***

    Last night's test went well. I used the "A mat" on top of the Ecotec insulated pad to get an initial feel for the kind of coverage it would provide, to see how well it would stay in place, and it's comfort. It did very well in all 3 situations; providing a definite boost in comfort and a slight increase in lateral coverage to the inflatable pad and also didn't slip around at all once I was situated. I didn't experience any built up perspiration in my back as the wicking properties performed as claimed by Snugpak and their brand Ambassador.

    As far as it's ability to insulate goes, I can't say definitively yet since I was using it on insulated pad last night, but I did lay on it alone for about 10 minutes before I put the pad in and didn't experience any convective heat loss or CBS @ 25°. Now that I know it works " in general ", I'll test it with the non-insulated Snugpak pad in a tent as well as on its own in a hammock and a tent. So far I'm impressed with how it's performing, especially how acted as a " pillow top " like the mattress on that evil contraption in my bed room that my wife refuses to get rid of lol.

    More testing is obviously needed to confirm all of Snugpaks claims and I am trying to go this as skeptical as I can, but knowing how the rest of their gear performs leads me to believe that it too will perform fairly close to how it's advertised. I'll be posting a video review at some point today here also. Questions? Comments?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  6. #16
    Senior Member Danalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Posts
    574
    Thanks for the write-up!

    So let's see if I'm correct here as I'm not familiar with all the Snugpak terminology of different pads etc etc. The mat is wider than the pad you were using. You laid the mat on top of the pad that was in the sleeve of the hammock. The mat didn't move around once you were in position for the night. You had no condensation show up and the mat also insulated a bit wider so no arm chill while resting off the pad.

    That sound about right?

    Looks like it might be what I've been looking for. Who did you buy from and have it shipped to NA? I looked at their website and North american dealers listed didn't seem to have the mat for sale it was more hunting oriented with a small selection and Amazon UK says they don't have a dealer who will ship here.

    Thanks

  7. #17
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Thanks for the write-up!

    So let's see if I'm correct here as I'm not familiar with all the Snugpak terminology of different pads etc etc. The mat is wider than the pad you were using. You laid the mat on top of the pad that was in the sleeve of the hammock. The mat didn't move around once you were in position for the night. You had no condensation show up and the mat also insulated a bit wider so no arm chill while resting off the pad.

    That sound about right?

    Looks like it might be what I've been looking for. Who did you buy from and have it shipped to NA? I looked at their website and North american dealers listed didn't seem to have the mat for sale it was more hunting oriented with a small selection and Amazon UK says they don't have a dealer who will ship here.

    Thanks
    Yeah that's all correct, sorry if it was a touch confusing. It IS wider than the Ecotec Hybern8 pad that I had it on top of which helped decrease the chance of "arm chill" as you correctly pointed out. I have a single layer RR so I was laying directly on top of it, which both added a "yet to be determined " amount of insulation and also kept my backside totally dry despite my wearing a short sleeve wicking shirt + long sleeved base layer top + microgrid fleece top/bottom + Fleece bag liner + 20° Burrow @ 17° w/ a 8-10kt wind. It also did a good job of staying in place due to the friction between its specially designed backside with the "rough" texture of the Ecotec pads topside.

    Here's a link to the website I got it from,OutdoorGB : https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Snugpak_..._Sleeping_Mat/.

    Unfortunately, Snugpak doesn't ship to the U.S. so they use several different " stockists" that carry their products. Proforce Equipment llc is Snugpak USA it they don't carry the entire line of gear and clothing for some reason. But for only $40 I think this "mat" is definitely worth it even if it's only excels at being a " pad topper" type supplementary insulation so to say. It's definitely more comfortable than any pad I've ever used that's for sure. It might also do extremely well in a double layer hammock since it won't be compressed ( although it's claimed to work regardless). I will keep testing and post my findings . As soon as it's done loading on YouTube, I'll post my video review here as well, should be in 15-20 mins or so since I'm using my phone.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  8. #18
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    Chameleon ,RR, DIY
    Tarp
    old man winter/AH
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,089
    Images
    9
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  9. #19
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Posts
    2,262
    Images
    180
    What is the mfgr R-value or temp rating of the Antarctic mat alone? I've not been able to find any numbers for this.

    I also don't understand how the compressed insulation is supposed to work.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Posts
    1,044
    Images
    5
    Would this mat be able to fit in between a dual layer hammock like the dream hammock in much the same way as a piece of CCF would or is it too bulky to do that?

  • + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. DIY OutdoorINK Synthetic Summer Top Quilt ("Timbuktu")
      By kitsapcowboy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 06-12-2017, 06:59
    2. DIY OutdoorINK Synthetic Summer Top Quilt ("Tiger Stripes")
      By kitsapcowboy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 05-19-2017, 21:05
    3. FS: Marmot Never Winter Down "L" Sleeping Bag & DIY 1.1 Hammock (ridgeline, whoopies, straps)
      By Tacky Hiker in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-01-2016, 08:45
    4. Snugpak Hammock "cocoon" Hanging
      By jcdflint in forum Bottom Insulation
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 02-01-2016, 22:38
    5. FS - 0°F Bag - "W", "L", Synthetic, Mummy
      By millergear in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-27-2011, 11:42

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •