DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

DCF Tarps - Structurally stronger than Sil-Poly?

There have been a number of reports lately - here and on FB - chronicling the failure of the DCF Tarps in high wind. I have been curious about this for some time which coupled with cost has prevented my serious research in this area as a potential purchase; well that and noise but noise isn't that important.

So what gives,?; Is Sil-Poly better suited to high winds, does DCF have an issue with shock stress (as it doesn't stretch) or are the pictures and reports just very unlikely and happened with a very specific set of circumstances? I speak specifically in regards to a trip in the Catskills that was documented here where some folks had to leave the hang, some went to ground, and specifically one member here lost his tarp at the ridgeline.

Thanks for your .02 in advance.
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 02-10-2020 at 14:43. Reason: spelling/grammer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    There have been a number of reports lately - here and on FB - chronicling the failure of the DCF Tarps in high wind. I have been curious about this for some time which coupled with cost has prevented my serious research in this area as a potential purchase; well that and noise but noise isn't that important.

So what gives,?; Is Sil-Poly better suited to high winds, does DCF have an issue with shock stress (as it doesn't stretch) or are the pictures and reports just very unlikely and happened with a very specific set of circumstances? I speak specifically in regards to a trip in the Catskills that was documented here where some folks had to leave the hang, some went to ground, and specifically one member here lost his tarp at the ridgeline.

Thanks for your .02 in advance.
    Can you provide an example of a report here of DCF failing? I don't recall seeing many/any. Without making intentional implications, I'll say I'm not as interested in any reports coming from FB.

Cuben fiber was developed in the first place to make racing sails for yachts competing in the America's Cup. Certainly capable of withstanding high winds. That said, those sails were almost cetainly not made from 0.51 oz/sq yd material like backpacking tarps are. My guess is any weak points would be most likely to occur at seams, so I'm curious what failed in the reports you mentioned. For sure DCF isn't a very puncture resistant material, but the same could be said for 15d or 20d silpoly. Punctures are easily mended, though, using DCF repair tape.

DCF is claimed to have the "highest tear and tensile strength of any competing fabric on a weight-by-weight and thickness basis."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I recall the Catskills tarp issue, but haven't heard of any others. Cuben fiber has a much longer history in the field than sil-poly, including many AT thru-hikes. I've had my HG Winter Palace for near eight years - it's been in 60 mph winds and still looks as good as new.

Ultimately, people can find reasons to stay away from DCF. Some says it's costly, too loud, too translucent, too this or too that. I'm sure you can find sufficient evidence to support whatever position you choose.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Can you provide an example of a report here of DCF failing? I don't recall seeing many/any. Without making intentional implications, I'll say I'm not as interested in any reports coming from FB.

Cuben fiber was developed in the first place to make racing sails for yachts competing in the America's Cup. Certainly capable of withstanding high winds. That said, those sails were almost cetainly not made from 0.51 oz/sq yd material like backpacking tarps are. My guess is any weak points would be most likely to occur at seams, so I'm curious what failed in the reports you mentioned. For sure DCF isn't a very puncture resistant material, but the same could be said for 15d or 20d silpoly. Punctures are easily mended, though, using DCF repair tape.

DCF is claimed to have the "highest tear and tensile strength of any competing fabric on a weight-by-weight and thickness basis."
    Here is his thread where he talked about it - Dirtbag Hiker I believe;
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...kills-NY/page4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I recall the Catskills tarp issue, but haven't heard of any others. Cuben fiber has a much longer history in the field than sil-poly, including many AT thru-hikes. I've had my HG Winter Palace for near eight years - it's been in 60 mph winds and still looks as good as new.

Ultimately, people can find reasons to stay away from DCF. Some says it's costly, too loud, too translucent, too this or too that. I'm sure you can find sufficient evidence to support whatever position you choose.
    As cmc4free said I don't take much stock in FB but the thread here and there are nearly identical in what happened. Since nobody cares about FB I will just relate my recollection;
    Same situation sustained winds around 15-20 gusting at about 50-60. Total and complete failure at the ridgeline just behind the additional patching at the ends where it attaches to the straps. Tore in almost a jagged cone on both reports if I recall correctly. Several other pictures of this catastrophic failure were posted probably 6-8 months back on FB too but I don't recall the specific group.

In the post I linked to there seems to be the same question I posted as to whether a sil-poly or sil-nylon would have fared better for no other reason than it will stretch and give which will take the that inelastic shock down a bunch.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    On a trip this summer to BWCA with major wind event

2 DCF tarps - Failure
    1 SilPoly - No issues

Friend sent me a pic today of another DCF failure

Bottom line DCF have a shorter life span than standard tarps. They will eventually fail. Good news is that they can be repaired with duct tape in the field.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    On a trip this summer to BWCA with major wind event

2 DCF tarps - Failure
    1 SilPoly - No issues

Friend sent me a pic today of another DCF failure

Bottom line DCF have a shorter life span than standard tarps. They will eventually fail. Good news is that they can be repaired with duct tape in the field.
    Simply for comparative aspects - what were the specific conditions? I am hoping to draw comparisons if possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My tarp ridgeline goes from tree to tree.
    And it’s under tarp. Some wind stress is on tarp loops and seams. And some wind stress is on body of tarp as it lays on rope from one end to the other.
    One time in extremely high winds, I tied both corners on one end together and also tied all end loops together. Same in other end.
    Tarp was not staked down and tarp was not tied to any trees.
    The whole thing looked like an upside down postal envelope hanging from tarp ridgeline.
    The tarp and hammock swung back and forth in unison during severe winds.
    There are no guarantees but I was doing asbestos I can...maybe I was lucky!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Extreme straight line winds in excess of 40 mph ahead of a major storm. The DCF can not handle the constant stress of sustained flapping in those conditions. It is like bending a piece of metal, it will eventually break. The .51 DCF tarp ripped apart. The .7 DCF tarp held together but all tie out points were near failure with mylar layer gone. The lack of stretch contributes to failure.

I have several DCF Tarps/Shelters and use them without fear in the right conditions. I just do not take them when I know I will be in high wind exposed camps such as at altitude or open campsites on BWCA lakes etc. Normally I can find a sheltered spot in the woods to safely hang.

DCF lightens my pack but if I could only pick one tarp to own it does not make the cut.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Extreme straight line winds in excess of 40 mph ahead of a major storm. The DCF can not handle the constant stress of sustained flapping in those conditions. It is like bending a piece of metal, it will eventually break. The .51 DCF tarp ripped apart. The .7 DCF tarp held together but all tie out points were near failure with mylar layer gone. The lack of stretch contributes to failure.

I have several DCF Tarps/Shelters and use them without fear in the right conditions. I just do not take them when I know I will be in high wind exposed camps such as at altitude or open campsites on BWCA lakes etc. Normally I can find a sheltered spot in the woods to safely hang.

DCF lightens my pack but if I could only pick one tarp to own it does not make the cut.
    Excellent break down. Very helpful and correct me if I am wrong but... - To perhaps summarize; you feel DCF (Cuben Fiber) is not well suited to windy(ier) situations where sustained winds with moderate to strong wind gust conditions exist. More or less due to DCF not stretching or perhaps stated another way, being unable to ease the sudden stress applied by sustained and gusting winds.

Any way what would be your choice of tarps if you could have only one and you needed the best performance in all conditions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast