Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images

Cinched vs. gathered-Pros & Cons??

Ok, So as noob I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but couldn't find it in the archives-Pros and Cons to gathered vs. cinched hammocks.
    Both look to bevery easy to do, but is one more secure, or offer more shoulder room, etc.

Have at it, hangers!!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I usually cinch b/c it is easier, but I think the gathered looks better.
    Last edited by Dutch; 03-22-2010 at 19:09.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I think it's mostly just a personal preference thing. I assume by cinched, you mean like ENOs are? I whip my hammocks with a lopsided W whipping, and I find it more comfortable than a straight gather ala. ENO. Neither are more secure if they're done right. One could argue that certain whippings offer less shoulder squeeze, but again, it mostly comes down to personal preference.
    That's the beauty of it though! You can take it down and rewhip/gather it as many times as you like until you get it dialed in just right.
    Hope that answers some questions without raising too many more.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    Acer,

I'm familiar with the W whipping, but when you say lopsided, what is that? I've seen Just Jeff's W whipping, is that what you mean?

thanks,

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    It's a W whipping, but I make one V longer than the other.
    I lay head left, and so on the head end, the left side of the W is long, and the right side is 10". And since I can't really explain it that well, here's a crude drawing of me sitting in my floating hammock.

Hope that helps,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

I'm not sure how I missed the lopsided W. I've been sleeping in a W, relatively happy, but could stand to be a little flatter. Guess I'll have to take it out this weekend and re-whip it. Looks like a winner.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    My ENO is "cinched" at the head and gathered "W" at the foot. But after looking at acercanto's rig I might give that a shot.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great pic, acer.

The biggest negative I see to a true cinched hammock, where you run the support thru the end channel and that's the only connection, is that you're unnecessarily introducing a possible point of failure. You're peforating the material and relying on it to hold your body weight. Obviously it's worked for many hammocks so far...but the KISS principle is violated here. If there were and advantage to be gained by doing it this way, I could understand it...but unless you can say there's a marked increase in comfort, it just doesn't make sense to me.

But like I said...obviously it has worked for many hammock so far!

I think my next DIY is gonna use the Warbonnet style - cinch the ends to make an easy gather, but use a larkshead to connect the supports that bear the load.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Acer,
    I can't orient my mind correctly relative to your drawing. I went to JustJeffs description of gathering and whipping to make sure I remembered the basics, but I still can't make the leap (a mental leap with a half-twist, no doubt). So if it's okay with you I'll just bring some fabric to Hot Springs and get you to show me. I gathered my first hammock with lots of little 1" zigzags, but shortly thereafter started cutting the ends off my hammocks and adding adjustable strings (many tiny whoopie slings in 130 lb. spectra fishing line). I think for my next hammock I'll measure each string on a currently adjusted hammock and cut the fabric end of the new hammock to match those measurements. I suspect the result might come out sort of like your lopsided W, if only I understood what it does.
    Last edited by WV; 03-23-2010 at 09:56.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    WV, it's really just offsetting the center of the "W". Making the valleys between the outer posts of the "W" deeper or shallower will have a big effect on the size and shape of the center of the "W". Moving the center of the "W" to one side or the other will change where the knee break will be positioned. This is a marvelous whipping method for the footend of hammocks and gives you a lot of control over the fabric. The only PITA part is that once you start playing with the concept, you'll be whipping and rewhipping hammocks for at least a full weekend.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast