Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessy/ Woods
    Insulation
    Hennessy DB
    Suspension
    Hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    This “reflective surface” characteristic comes up from time to time. I haven’t had an opportunity for practical experimentation but “people say …” in order to benefit from the heat radiation reflection, there has to be a distance. In other words, If you wrap yourself in a space blanket - or have it right next to you (on top of the OCF), then it will act as a wind barrier, but there will be conduction heat transfer. If you create some space (below the OCF) then will act as a wind barrier AND reflect back heat. I think they are saying that if there isn’t a gap, the conduction property will be the pervailing characteristic over reflection.
    The Double Bubble Radiant Heat Reflecting Pad is a separate piece all together it doesn't come with the super shelter (which is basically a two piece under quilt) but it can be placed in between the hammock and undercover or inside your hammock between you and the hammock.
    https://hennessyhammock.ca/products/...ble-bubble-pad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrme1972 View Post
    mine is the old system not the new 4 season version.... expedition zip single layer hammock and just bought the super shelter for it (undercover and foam under pad) they just changed the stuff sack to a compression bag.
    OOPS, my mistake. I guess that stuff sack faked me out. As well as the "4 season insulation" label on the stuff sack, rather than "HH Super Shelter".

Are the directions(for the old system) still to place the space blanket on top of the OCF pad and any other added insulation? Or are the now saying to add it below the pad, your choice? I had some e-mail conversations with Tom H. when the new system came out, I posted them here in a thread about the new system. At that time, the plan was to put the space blanket under the pad when needed, between the pad and a new breathable outer shell. I had some misgivings about putting that space blanket/VB on the cold side of the insulation, thinking it was likely to lead to more condensation. But anyway, I notice that now the directions for the NEW system are to put it below the pad or above it, your preference.

The old system, using the space blanket on top of all insulation(on the warm side), and the wind/waterproof Under/outer cover always worked quite well for me, and I never had any noticeable condensation. Warm for me somewhere down into the 30s, but plenty warm to single digits plus wind chill(no tarp used) by adding various forms of insulation: unworn clothing not needed for sleeping, and/or the HH kidney/torso pads(about 3 oz, but I don't think they make them anymore), or even light weight quilts. Even a light fleece jacket thrown down into the UC under the pad and space blanket) added noticeable warmth. I have loved my PeaPods and UQs, but this system is still highly rated by me. Pros and cons. But wind proof and waterproof has always been a big selling point for me. And when I have carelessly(or on purpose for testing) allowed the pad to get wet, it still seemed pretty warm. You can also very gently(that pad is easy to tear but easy to patch) squeeze the water out, it will maintain full loft, and any remaining water will just drain down into the low point of the Under cover. Also dries quickly, in my experience.

Please let us know how it works for you. The HHSS fan club is a very small one, hopefully you will be able to join it! Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12