Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for...

Images
    Everyone has their own methods, and that's all good.

Personally, I like the one here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2012217
    And more recently I like the one here with Nama claws: https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...with-namaclaws

I've never much cared for using Prusik loops on tarp ridgelines, but that's just my preference. The Prusik hitch definitely has a lot of uses, I'm just not a fan of it for that particular application. One of my OCD tics, though, is that it's so often misspelled. Prusik. It's a guy's name. It's not prussik or prussic.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 03-16-2020 at 14:41. Reason: Busted by cmoulder :(

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Everyone has their own methods, and that's all good.

Personally, I like the one here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2012217
    And more recently I like the one here with Nama claws: https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...with-namaclaws

I've never much cared for using Prusik loops on tarp ridgelines, but that's just my preference. The Prusik hitch definitely has a lot of uses, I'm just not a fan of it for that particular application. One of my OCD ticks, though, is that it's so often misspelled. Prusik. It's a guy's name. It's not prussik or prussic.
    LOL Good 'un.

Also, it's pronounced PREW-sik, not PRUH-sik.

And I hope what you have is a tic and not a tick!!!

If I had as many ticks as I've got tics I'd be in a whole heap o' trouble.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LOL Good 'un.

Also, it's pronounced PREW-sik, not PRUH-sik.

And I hope what you have is a tic and not a tick!!!

If I had as many ticks as I've got tics I'd be in a whole heap o' trouble.
    Aww man.... BUSTED. Now I gotta go fix it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’m liking the idea of taking the tarp out of the suspension line - stringing a single line between the supports as a stand alone, then attaching the tarp to it.

In the past, my tarp ridge line was separate on a kite winder (UL’ers cringe ). The prussic style knots require I keep the line with the tarp (or else more fiddling, tying them on each time). That would work, especially as I plan to skin all the tarps.

Do those prussic (and its variants) work when a strong wind is flexing the setup?

I’ve seen some knots work great when under tension, but could loosen up if subject to tight/loose/tight/loose flexing that might occur in a storm.

In the past, my Figure-9’s have never failed me - but I think they are happier with thicker (3mm-ish) cord.

Is it a false worry - putting 1.75mm prussic on a 1.75 line? I try to have the line the prussic grabs be a little bit thicker. But it seems Dutch Bling is designed for the smallest cordage.
    Early on in my tarp-/hammock-rigging learning curve I used some Atwood Microcord (1.2mm) Prusiks with Zing-it and it held fine — once in extremely strong winds of 30mph sustained with 45+mph gusts — without any slippage at all. Some people report success with Zing-it-on-Zing-it but my experience is that it slipped unless the Prusik had 4-5 wraps, and then when it did hold it was very hard to release. (I've had very similar experiences with other UHMWPE products... for instance, using 7/64 Amsteel Klemheist/Hedden on Venom webbing for hammock. Trust me, you don't wanna do that. )

Early on, Zing-it with Micro cord Prusik... crl_zingit_atwood_micro_cord_small.jpg

Now I use 2mm Glowire/Guywire for all tarp RL and guy lines. Knot friendly and very tangle resistant.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12