Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    how do you use just webbing to tie to trees?
    My HH is set-up in this manner. The webbing is just wrapped around the tree, then lashed; really simple. I use ring-buckles the way Rockstar described for all my other hammocks, but this works good enough that I'm not sufficiently motivated to change it out. I bought it second hand already set-up like this.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    So I just tested my Hammock.

It took me a while to get it tied tot he trees since Im use to using the slap straps and not a knot expert. I use the "tie my shoe" knot a lot. (please dont send me links to knots, I already frequent them and as soon as I learn one it slips my mind. I am working on it.)

Then I couldn't get the thing pushed down far enough under my arse to get in. I wasn't sure about my knot jobs so I didn't want to dive head first or anything. So I moved the ropes down a few inches. Then I was able to get in. Surprisingly it didn't go as close to the ground as my ENO. Made me feel skinny for a minute. hehe

The ridgeline has been fixed and I think I need to tweak it b/c it sits a little too close to my face for my taste. I can't imagine hanging anything like a small fan or headlamp up there. The little mesh pocket thing on the ridgleine is neato badito! It is very comfortable! The tarp was...well thank god I have my MacCat. Thanks again TROLL! Overall I think with the webbing/rings and tweaked ridgeline...Ill be one happy camper! if it wasn't for the fire ant attack I had to endure to set it up I would have stayed. I had to retreat as my feet are swelling a bit due to all the bites. Those are the ONLY 2 trees I have near my house to set up. One is actually my neighbors. hehe

Now I can't wait for the hang in Andalusia.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Lashing the webbing is really easy once you see it up close and do it a few times. You'll have it down pat by the time you go home from the hangout. That assumes of course, that you haven't changed to rings or "cinch" buckles by that time.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I first started using webbing on my HH I just used the 4 wrap knot, no cinch or ring buckles. It worked great but you would have to almost completely undo the knot to adjust the hammock. I use ring buckles now.

Rockstar,

Polyester webbing is the way to go. I have used Ed's PolyPro before, and it really good webbing, but the polyester is where it's at. I no long have to adjust my hammock in the middle of the night because of stretching slowly lowering me to the ground. The polyester webbing that I got from Harbor Freight from ratchet ties has not shown any wear and it's almost the same weight as Ed's webbing (actually it's a little lighter) and has over double the breaking strength (1500 lbs). Some people get their polyester webbing from Strapworks. It's a little thicker than what I use but it's rated at like 2500lbs breaking strength.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Oh I will have the rings in by the hang. The webbing...Im not so sure. I wish there was a "HammockMart" So we could get everything and not have to pay shipping here, there, and everywhere.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My HH is set-up in this manner. The webbing is just wrapped around the tree, then lashed; really simple. I use ring-buckles the way Rockstar described for all my other hammocks, but this works good enough that I'm not sufficiently motivated to change it out. I bought it second hand already set-up like this.
    so you don't use ring buckles on your HH? i think i'm picturing what you do. you simply just wrap the webbing around the tree at your desired tension? i can't believe i haven't thought of that.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    hey rockstar, there might be a harbor frt in your area,check their website for store locator.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    You get a Biner, have a loop sewn on one end. Then use 2 rings or buckles. See the "Ring Buckle support" thread. It explains it all. Grab a tissue, your eyes may bleed.
    FYI...no need to sew a loop in the end....just tie a loop with a bowline knot and attach the biner. I do admit the sewn loop is neater looking but the knot works fine for me....plus I never quite trust things that are sewn.

Miguel

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Sounds like a good option to me. To test out anyway.
    -Churchill

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    FYI...no need to sew a loop in the end....just tie a loop with a bowline knot and attach the biner. I do admit the sewn loop is neater looking but the knot works fine for me....plus I never quite trust things that are sewn.

Miguel
    or a figure 8 knot, which is slightly more ideal. Y

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast