Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Dyneema/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson989 View Post
    Thank you all very much!

I was concerned with the logic of a 20 degree UQ in such warm temps but, I guess I can always adjust my suspension and vent as needed. Was briefly thinking of getting a Phoenix 40 degree UQ to save on the weight but I think I'd be better off getting the 40 degree TQ and just pair that with the incubator I already have.
    As an addendum to my prior post, I have a 40f UQ too. I was thinking of versatility of just one quilt.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    As an addendum to my prior post, I have a 40f UQ too. I was thinking of versatility of just one quilt.
    I'm operating under the general assumption "if I could have only one....."

Personally, I'm in the 0-20-40 "camp" and pick/choose accordingly. And I have long and short 20deg quilts. AND I have used 0deg up to 57F (bizarre weather forecast!) and avoided overheating by venting or removing TQ. Aside from weight/volume concerns, UQ rating is not so critical regards to overheating.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter

To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art. ~ Horace Kephart, 1906

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Big Red Love Tarp
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well, as a she hanger and someone who has lived in a cold climate my experience has been to insulate the heck out of what I am sleeping on. With my first hammock back in 2004 I used a sheep skin. Then I found Hammock Forums, I moved to my trusty USA Poncho Liner from the Vietnam era. As Hammock Forums first members evolved new innovative ways to keep the cold butt at bay I started using a UQ, I went with full length not the short version for the weight conscious.

I now use a 0* UQ. I do live and hang mainly on the West Coast in non-arid region.

Whatever is under me is my primary heat keeper in. I add or subtract what is on top of me and what I wear to sleep in. I have not hung in temperatures over 100*F, I have never needed to vent the UQ, I have removed the UQP due to condensation.

Your hammock acts like a swamp cooler does, air goes under and cools things. I like the 20*F quilts but I do get cold when my respiration slows way down, the 0*F gives me a bit of extra insulation.

In my experience the TQ is the quilt to adjust (which is easy if you are too warm, hang a foot out or both feet, leave your shoulders bare, be naked).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12