Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

VIDEO: Back on the Clark Fork River

I normally don't like to go back to trail that I've already done... let alone walked just the previous year, but it's that time a year when clear trail to hike is tough to come by. So we decided to ditch the snow shoes and head back to the Clark Fork River.

This trail really is the perfect shoulder season trail. It's 9 miles one way and the hills on it seems to level out just as I start thinking I need to stop on the way up. The forest is incredibly diverse and there's plenty of spots for camping.

We got started early in the afternoon giving us a few hours of daylight to find a camp. We hiked in a couple of miles and then left the main trail to find a camp. After bushwhacking for a couple miles we hit the river and found a nice campsite on its banks. Since it is still early in the season we brought some food luxuries and we'll have to leave behind in another month. For the first night it was steaks on the fire! I hauled in a cooking grate and it made for a great night.

I may have celebrated a little too much on the first night and it was a slow morning getting out of hammock. We only had 6-7 miles to go that day and so we were able to hang around camp for a while. We finally started walking in the early afternoon and it was a perfect spring day. We bushwhacked along the river until we crossed the the main trail, then jumped on it. It was smooth sailing from there and it felt great to finally be hiking down the trail.

For the second night's camp we climbed up on to a bench up above the trail. It was a great spot. Plenty of wood around and flat, grassy land to camp on. We didn't string up our tarps on the first night and on the second night we planned on doing the same. The clouds started gathering, but the weather held off for the evening. For the second night, Irish Bratwurst were on the menu. In my opinion, these are the best ones by far. We cooked up 2 packs of them and saved some for breakfast the next morning.

Some time in the middle of the night I felt the dreaded drops of water on my face. At first I just laid there, hoping it would stop. The rain let up a little bit and I thought that I was safe..... then it picked up. Then it picked up again... I jumped out of my hammock and rushed to string up my tarp. (No, I didn't string it up and leave it in the tarp sleeves). The rain continued to pick up while as I frantically setup my tarp. Finally I had it setup and I climbed back into my hammock. Shortly after the rain stopped. Isn't that just the way it goes....

The next morning it was a bit cold out, but we warmed up with coffee and brats. We had our longest hike in front of us to get back to the truck. It was a perfect day for hiking and it felt like the miles just few by. That's not a great thing when you're wanting to stay in the forest for a while. As they all do, this trip came to an end. It was another great early season trip, and it's safe to say, we'll be back here again.

Thanks for watching!

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Beautiful area! Typical rain, stopping once you get out of bed to set up the tarp. You have great narration and storytelling in your videos, that is an area I am trying to improve on my own. Thanks for sharing!

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Beautiful area! Typical rain, stopping once you get out of bed to set up the tarp. You have great narration and storytelling in your videos, that is an area I am trying to improve on my own. Thanks for sharing!
    I will say that it did take at least 20 minutes after I strung up my tarp and got back in hammock before the rain stopped.. Thanks for checking it out!

Images
    Great video, as usual!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Now that is wonderful. Belle and I will plan on making that foray this spring. Thanks for the tip.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Now that is wonderful. Belle and I will plan on making that foray this spring. Thanks for the tip.
    It's a great trail! You won't be disappointed!

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I would never get used to some of those views..WOW...thanks

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    A little late to the party here... another great video & it looks like a really fun trip!

And what a beautiful area to hike. Would definitely make it hard for me to come back to the real world after being in those surroundings.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    A little late to the party here... another great video & it looks like a really fun trip!

And what a beautiful area to hike. Would definitely make it hard for me to come back to the real world after being in those surroundings.

Thanks for posting.
    The way things are now.. it was very hard to come back.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I always enjoy your trip videos and the views are fantastic. I am surprise you did not go fishing the first night for dinner

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast