Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook

Hey guys -- been gone for a while -- now Im back . . .

I have been a long time fan of Dream Hammocks and have a slew of them. I'd like to try a Draumr.

I have been watching videos, reading posts here and at this point, a little bit of overload.

I am 5'9" or maybe 5' 10" broad shouldered --almost cube like ...lol My weight is @ 250lbs.

Do I need to be looking at a Draumr or a Draumr XL? I realize that my height would require it-- it there is a good reason to go bigger I can. If there is no real benefit based on my description, then would it make more sense to by the standard size? (more pad choices, easier for a guy with a 30-31" inseam to get in and out of etc?)

Also, whats the word on the tarp options -- best choice there?

Thanks in advance

Hangin Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I am shorter and heavier than you and I still got the Draumr XL, mainly because I could get it cheaper on pre-order at the time. But, after spending time in it, I am glad I did get the XL. I sleep on my stomach and when I stretch out, I can touch both ends in my sleep. I didn't get the accompanying tarp at the time, but Amok just released a new tarp with more coverage for their hammocks. I am still planning on getting it, but other tarps like the SLD Winter Haven 90 or WB Superfly will also work. Having a short inseam as well, the one problem I still struggle with at times is getting into it. It just takes getting used to.

Once this is over, see if someone won't bring one to a hang for you to try. Good luck and welcome back!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    My questions aren't about the Dream Hammock-- sorry for any confusion. My questions are for people who have purchased the Draumr and have practical experience. Although, I might go post some in DH anyway-- Papa Smurf is a great guy!
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    90 Degree/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    I'm 6'1" and have a regular length Draumr. I don't feel like I need the bigger one. Sure, the space would be nice, but I already have a couple suitable pads, and I'm guessing you lose a bit of space under a tarp with the big one. I'm a side sleeper.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    I am shorter and heavier than you and I still got the Draumr XL, mainly because I could get it cheaper on pre-order at the time. But, after spending time in it, I am glad I did get the XL. I sleep on my stomach and when I stretch out, I can touch both ends in my sleep. I didn't get the accompanying tarp at the time, but Amok just released a new tarp with more coverage for their hammocks. I am still planning on getting it, but other tarps like the SLD Winter Haven 90 or WB Superfly will also work. Having a short inseam as well, the one problem I still struggle with at times is getting into it. It just takes getting used to.

Once this is over, see if someone won't bring one to a hang for you to try. Good luck and welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
    My questions aren't about the Dream Hammock-- sorry for any confusion. My questions are for people who have purchased the Draumr and have practical experience. Although, I might go post some in DH anyway-- Papa Smurf is a great guy!
    Isn't the above response about the Draumr? Grunt didn't mention Dream Hammock..

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I just noticed your sig line, Mikekim.

Yeah, I know nothing of Dream Hammocks...yet. I keep one designed and in my cart there, but haven't pulled the proverbial trigger.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    On one hand, I am older than I was yesterday. On the other, I thought that I recalled someone talking about dream hammocks in reply to tbird.

sorcery, that's what's going on.

• + New Posts