JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!

JRB Bridge with 2QZQ zipper mod!!!!!

Recently purchased a JRB Bridge to test for my upcoming thru-hike of the Long Trail. Comfort is spectacular, construction was fantastic and the pad pocket seemed like a good way to shave a few ounces during the mid-summer trip.

I had one problem though and it was the bug netting attached around the perimeter with Omni Tape. To get into the hammock you need to undo quite a bit of it. The problem was in reattaching it once inside. If you are unlucky enough to have the foot section come undone it is almost comical the gyrations the hammock goes thru as you bend forward attempting to get this secured. Then you try to lay down slowly reattaching it all along the edge. Let me just say that for me it was enough to make me think about trying another brand until I had an idea.....

Let's permanently stitch the foot and one side and then use zipper on the other side and leave Omni Tape at the head as it would just attach itself once the zipper was closed. A couple emails explaining my desires to 2QZQ and they convinced me to go with zipper at the head as well. Hammock arrived a few days ago and today I took all the webbing off and went to Whoopie Slings and Amsteel for the spreader bar lines. Knocked about a half a pound off.

Off into the backyard I went with my zipper modded, lighter Bridge for it's first official hang and WOW what a difference it has made!!!! Whoopie slings make setup a breeze. Unzip hammock along head and long side and it still works great as a camp chair, netting gets right out of the way for comfortable sitting. The real joy is once you get in you just lay down holding the zipper and you are done. So easy I could see doing this with a bit of Scotch in my system whereas before I would have just let the bugs eat me! Zip, zip. All secure in Sector ??!!!

There are reasons that are quite valid for the way JRB attaches the bug net. For those who don't live in an area with year round bugs the netting can be left at home saving four ounces or so. Winter camping just about everywhere in the US is a good time for no netting. A valid argument for sure but here in Vermont we have bugs from the time the snow melts till it flies again. I am not a hammock camper in winter (yet!) so for me having the bug net stay on all the time is fine. JRB is a great company and make a great product. I just modified mine to match my style of hanging a bit better.

Thanks to 2QZQ for their excellent customer service and their impeccable craftsmanship. I highly recommend this mod and their service!!! And thank you to JRB for thinking out of the box and building a truly unique hammock that gets a lot of attention!

Cheers,
    Bleemus

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I know this thread is useless without pics but the light was poor and I was in a hurry. Will definitely get some soon and post!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's awesome. Can't wait for pics.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Oh boy, now I am already thinking about having this done. It really sounds attractive in most ways. I wonder how much weight it would add to the stock hammock? A few oz?

I also cursed the net during the 1st few months of use, but I came to at least appreciate some of it's benefits. Most obvious, like you point out, being able to leave it behind when bugs are not an issue, and saving a few oz and a little bulk.

Plus I have also learned to nearly eliminate MOST of the hassle. What seems to work best for me lately is to start out with the net fully attached head to foot and both sides, and then just fold it down like a blanket just enough for me to sit down and then lay down. Then, in a pretty quick move I am able to pull it back up and attach the head end. After that it doesn't much matter about the remaining unattached sides, because they drape down either inside or outside the hammock and so far still seem pretty effective at keeping the flying bugs out just in that mode. Then I can take my time with the remaining Omnitape on the sides. Truth is I very often lounge around without bothering with the sides. It drapes with enough of a "seal" so as to get the job done, in my experience so far. But I can see how that might not hack it in certain bug conditions. Plus, it won't prevent crawling bugs (spiders,ants, etc) from coming in, so I don't sleep that way.

But any way, sounds excellent! It certainly sounds easier and more convenient to use. I might have to have that! Was there no way to have partial Omnitape and partial zipper and still have it removable? Apparently not.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I'll wait for Bleemus to post his pictures but will post this one. A side effect from sewing the netting is this handy mesh "shelf/pocket" created.

ZQ says ignore the pins!!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 03-25-2010 at 11:22.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That looks like a nice add on to the bridge. Now I may have to order a bridge and send it to the Q's. I think my GF would like the Bridge Hammock much better then a gathered/cinched end. Bleemus, when you leaving for your E2E, im leaving June 23-25 SOBO, hope to cross paths with you on the trail.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I never cared for the stock bug net on the stock JRB bridge. That is awesome! From the Photos, it looks as if you could attach a ridgeline out of shock cord to the spreader bars to keep it up a little. I was thinking of buying a Warbonnet traveler bug net for this reason. Now it looks like I have an option.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    It's funny-->during my brief trial of the BMBH, I thought that a mod like this would make it a LOT more enjoyable.

Kudos for seeing it through!
    I took the liberty of looking at the rest of the pics from 2questions.
    Looks like excellent work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I added a thread with photos for all interested...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16155
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

• + New Posts