Thread: Clark vs. WBBB

Clark vs. WBBB

I know there is probably a thread like this buried somewhere, but after looking through 10 pages of threads I'm starting my own. Can anyone compare these two by experience, because the websites dont really make up for real world use? I'm thinking about the Tropical because I like to be relatively cool while I sleep, and the NA seems like it would be too hot for me. Would a closed cell pad and a decent bag make up for the NA's added insulation in cold weather? I do plan on using either hammock all year round. What else could make the Clark so superior to account for the price difference?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    I orderd the Blackbird last week as a second hammock in hopes of getting a flatter more comfortable lay. I have not received it or slept in it so I can not provide any information on the BB. However, I do have the Clark NX-200 which is different from the tropical.

The pockets are overkill unless you are car camping and put lots of stuff in them to keep you warm. The weathershield is awesome. One of the reasons the Clarks are more expensive is that it comes with a tarp. When purchasing the Warbonnet the tarp is extra.

If I remember correctly I have slept with a cheap walmart pad comfortably in 50 degree weather.

My latest trip I slept toasty in 25 degree weather with my pockets stuffed with wool blankets & a summer underquilt on the bottom.

This is my thread that I started.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15417

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by King O' Nothing View Post
    Can anyone compare these two by experience, because the websites dont really make up for real world use? I'm thinking about the Tropical because I like to be relatively cool while I sleep, and the NA seems like it would be too hot for me. Would a closed cell pad and a decent bag make up for the NA's added insulation in cold weather? I do plan on using either hammock all year round. What else could make the Clark so superior to account for the price difference?
    I have the Tropical and I've had a chance to try out the BlackBird. First thing I noticed was the differences between how you lay in each of these hammocks. The Clark, you lay right down the center and it's more like a cocoon feeling. I'm a side sleeper and the Clark tends to nestle you pretty close. The BlackBird for me was the exact opposite, you sleep off center. And the BlackBird has built in places for your feet and at the other end a shelf (or pocket) for small items. This hammock is huge inside (where the Clark is cocooned feeling). You just need to decide if you want a wide open off center sleeping inside or a cocoon down the center sleeping type hammock. Both hammocks are very well made and both have lots of added things to them.

On to my Tropical...
    Yes, the Tropical is cooler than the NA, I've tried both. I have to use more insulation in the winter than my friend does with the NA. But come summer, I'm way cooler!!! I ordered the optional WeatherShield and love it!! It's made the difference quite a few times when I'd not packed enough clothes and was able to close the shield and stayed warm. It also will shield you from blowing rain. You can use a pad in any of the Clarks but I found that I like an under quilt better. I used an Exped Down Mat until I made my UQ's. I've never tried a sleeping bag, my friend does though. They will work. I've used my Tropical for a year now, summer and winter (though my winter is mild compaired to yours). I did get to test in snow and 20 degree temps. With enough insulation, I slept toasty. It's starting to warm up here and I've already switched over to my summer UQ and summer top quilt.

Good luck with your decision....

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I just posted the bit about banana sleeping in the Clark on the other thread.

Have you looked at the Switchback as an option? they do have a website now, but just enter it into the archives and you'll see plenty of photos.

• + New Posts