Cinched Hammock ideas

I was over on Just Jeff's site looking at the Cinched Hammock and thought of a couple ideas that may be of some value:

1.) it seams to me that the cinched hammock approach might lend itself to some easily reproducable effects in the setting the tension of parts of the hammock body - sew the channel in a "wavy" end and it would be fairly easy to get tighter edges and center line with looser areas in between.

2.) Jeff mentioned a problem with the cinch being too tight - the thought that I had on that was to use a mini-spreader bar in the loop that goes through the channel - something on the order of a 6 inch stick with V grooves in the ends

Now I know it is fairly common practice to get the effect of the first idea by adjusting the ends of the hammock when wrapping or zip tieing the ends but the idea with using the channel approach makes it easier to always get the desired effect with no unwrapping and rewrapping.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's the Cinch Hammock on Jeff's site.

I had been thinking about this whipping technique for a little while, but I have never experimented with it. It looked like Warbonnet hammocks may use a similar technique on their hammocks.

The only problem I can see is that the Cinch Hammock could potentially have very loose sides. Not a big deal if you use and like side tie outs like I do.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I don't see how the channel makes any difference once you attach the support line on as you would any hammock with a hem at that end, unless you pass the webbing through the channel and off to each side of a tree. Or did I miss something?
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

The webbing would go through the channel with a loop as shown in Jeff's picture:

The main part of the idea 1. is that the channel does not have to be straight - by having a "wavy" end the amount of fabric between the ends of the hammock can be set differently for different parts of the hammock thus allowing tighter edges etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It looks like the ENO set-up, except with webbing in lieu of cord. The Warbonnet method is hidden inside the whipping and I have been, to date, too scared to take it apart and look.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Here's the Cinch Hammock on Jeff's site.

The only problem I can see is that the Cinch Hammock could potentially have very loose sides. Not a big deal if you use and like side tie outs like I do.

I used the cinch method on both of the last two I have made. Yes, on the first one with the hammock bed made exactly square, the sides were too loose for me. On the second one, I cut one end of the hammock with the sides being 1" shorther than the middle length. Then cinched it like the first.
    This seemed to take the "flop" out of the sides enough for me. I tried it this way knowing that if it was not enough that I could always go back and do the other end the same way.

edit: this was on 60" wide cloth. and 10' length hammock.
    Last edited by TDunc; 08-01-2007 at 11:06.

• + New Posts