Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuben Tarps!

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Counselor, I take it that you will be taping your seams. A number of different people (including me) have posted information on tape and glue options here and on other forums. My own thoughts are based on research and a bare minimum of experience - hardly authoritative. What's your take on the best way to make a cuben seam?
    I am in the final testing phase of glues vs. tape vs stitching. I'll let you know soon!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks! Best of luck in your endeavors!

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    Count me in too pls, email me when your operational. I'd like to sell them in Australia. They sound interesting.
    http://www.amtcgear.com.au/ go to contact us.
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I was going to make a tarp with Cuban fiber last year, but it so expensive. I’m interested to see what your prices will be.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Counselor - I'm definitely interested in a cuben tarp. Be sure to post the details as you get it. I've been thinking of a cat tarp w/ sewn on doors, with a ridgeline 18-24" longer than the Blackbird...you considering anything like that? Also, how will the price compare to Spinn tarps?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Earlier this year I was thinking that this would be a great new cottage industry if started. There really is nobody producing cuben fiber tarps sized for hammocks (or cuben hammocks themselves for that matter) commercially. The few cuben tarps I've seen for sale are geared more towards ground dwellers and are both short and narrow for hammocks. It's a wide open market! And you have a pretty large target audience here.

Alas I have neither the time nor skill for such an endeavor, so I'm glad to see that someone else is having the same idea. I have been toying with buying some of this precious fabric to make my own, but perhaps I will wait a bit longer and see what you have to offer. Ultimately, if one factors in the mistakes and waste I would make, buying one would probably be cheaper. (It's one thing to waste a yard or two of $2.50/yd 1.1oz nylon, or even $6/yd 1.9oz, But $26/yd CF ... )

Good luck! Looking forward to see your designs!
    For my part, show me a tarp with the coverage of the SuperFly or WinterDream at half the weight and I'll reach for my wallet.

I think I read a post somewhere, maybe on BPL, about dyeing cuben...might make for some spiffy custom options down the line.
    Last edited by BER; 03-26-2010 at 06:33.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Counselor...

How did you know I was planning on some tarp shopping?

I want something that will hang tighter than my 8x10 silnylon when I am going solo. I am also looking for new options for the "honeymoon suite" that is large enough to cover the two hammocks and provide privacy for mom when she wants to change clothes, probably with doors.

I am interested in seeing what you come up with here and...

...if you need a local tester, I know a guy just up the road from you who would be glad to help, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Counselor - I'm definitely interested in a cuben tarp. Be sure to post the details as you get it. I've been thinking of a cat tarp w/ sewn on doors, with a ridgeline 18-24" longer than the Blackbird...you considering anything like that? Also, how will the price compare to Spinn tarps?
    Price will be more then the Spinn tarps because the price of the Fabric is significantly more.

I do plan to offer a cat tarp, however i'm going to be producing rectangle only first. The cuben fiber allows you to pitch the tarp nice and tight in a traditional rectangle cut. I actually worry that a cat cut will weaken the material.

i will be custom sizes made to order as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Earlier this year I was thinking that this would be a great new cottage industry if started. There really is nobody producing cuben fiber tarps sized for hammocks (or cuben hammocks themselves for that matter) commercially. The few cuben tarps I've seen for sale are geared more towards ground dwellers and are both short and narrow for hammocks. It's a wide open market! And you have a pretty large target audience here.

Alas I have neither the time nor skill for such an endeavor, so I'm glad to see that someone else is having the same idea. I have been toying with buying some of this precious fabric to make my own, but perhaps I will wait a bit longer and see what you have to offer. Ultimately, if one factors in the mistakes and waste I would make, buying one would probably be cheaper. (It's one thing to waste a yard or two of $2.50/yd 1.1oz nylon, or even $6/yd 1.9oz, But $26/yd CF ... )

Good luck! Looking forward to see your designs!
    For my part, show me a tarp with the coverage of the SuperFly or WinterDream at half the weight and I'll reach for my wallet.

I think I read a post somewhere, maybe on BPL, about dyeing cuben...might make for some spiffy custom options down the line.

Thanks for the wishes - i know the felling about being scared!

I can get custom colors already in olive drab, red, green, and white. They are all very transparent though.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    will you be sewing or taping? will the holding points be made similar to the bpl tarps or what?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast