Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foot/ankle pain in the hammock?

Has anyone experienced this? I've done a few searches and came up nothing.

The last several times I've slept in my hammock (indoors/outdoors, 1.0 / 1.6 weight, and both left/right lay) I wake up with my outside foot sort of hyper-extended against the hammock edge. It's uncomfortable enough to wake me up quite often.

Any ideas on how to combat this? I've also experimented with pulling the hammock ends out for a symmetrical lay but that actually creates a slightly smaller "pocket' for my feet as well as hanging my foot end higher. No luck so far...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Try using a small camp pillow under the leg to change it’s angle somewhat. Sometimes it just takes a slight shift in body position and occasionally you may need to play with the hammock sag a bit.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    a pillow under the knee helps draw your outside foot away from hammock fabric,i also suffered with this a bit ,but normally shuffle my backside back a bit towards head end, i have a Warbonnet Blackbird with foot box, how do you sleep, (feet crossed gives you more room) or do you sleep feet touching together, this can make a difference, also the gathered end of hammock tends to slide your feet towards edge of hammock so I stuff a small down pillow in foot box of TQ to wrap my feet in, keeps my heels more comfy as well
    Last edited by hangerdave; 05-17-2020 at 06:55.

I experienced the same type of foot issue when I started hanging. I found a small pillow under my knees helps. However, the more I slept in a hammock the less of an issue it was. Now, I only use an under knee pillow occasionally and have found a hang angle and body position that works for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images
    Use a Giant Knee Pillow or Travel Vacuum Bag to elevate your heels off the hammock a bit.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Use a Giant Knee Pillow or Travel Vacuum Bag to elevate your heels off the hammock a bit.
    I like that looks super comfy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I found that a longer hammock helped that issue (and a few other issues) significantly. Also, the way the end is gathered can make a difference. I found I prefer to larks- head my continuous loop below the end knot, which allows the fabric to lie more flat. Keeping the edges stretched helps, too. Lastly, experiment with different lay angles and placing your head nearer or farther from the end.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Thanks for the tips guys. I like that knee pillow idea. In a tent, I need a similar pillow under my knees to take strain off of my lower back.

So if that works, I won't be changing my set up too much. Thanks!

I have given a try to most traditional advices and remedies, but I guess I'm just an impossible option or condition;you name it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    brady1, I didn’t see the brand/size of hammock you are using or your height. Those might have something to do with it. I’m on the short size and an 11 ft hammock is enormous for me. I have hastily put a hammock up and felt sort of a “torque” in a joint in the morning - so I know it happens. For me, it was a matter of reviewing the setup and usually added more sag than reducing it. At this point, if you are still having the issue, one might ask how long the hammock is, what’s the length of the ridgeline (if you are using one), and what’s your hang angle. You might have all that set up according to common lore, but we don’t know.

When you say, “The last several times…” it sounds like there was a time when everything was peachy. Was that the case? Because then one can investigate what changed - even if it means going back to a location where your setup was really comfortable. I call it “returning to a point of goodness.” Sometimes if there’s a problem, you can return to a point of goodness and then slowing progress in the direction where the problem occured. Often, along the way, the critical change will make itself known.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast