Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images

Does Size Matter???

It's a personal preference I know, but does size or the length of hammocks really matter. Ive been par-oozing some hammock forums for a while now and the topic of size comes up a quite a bit especially about the DD hammock?? I own a 2010 DD hammock and @ 6'2 have no problem with space even with my motor bike boots on(now 6'4) with a good foot to spare. I know some of the older DD's where shorter but not by much. does a couple of inches really make that much difference. Some people get quite hysterical or should I say adamant about the size of hammocks, controversial I know :0 soz for that.
    Ive ordered a claytor hammock from Tom to feel the difference ( I really ordered it for the cammo effect shhh I love it)
    Ill report back when I have a go on the Mosquito jungle hammock.
    Noob question ??? maybe, putting it out there any way.
    Can some one ask shakeel o'neal if he fits in a hammock, some one, any one?
    tnt
    alienjeff650
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I'm about your size, 6'-1" and shrinking I think, or I'm wearing my pants lower.

When I make a DIY, I buy 10' of 60"ish material. Hem it, gather it, and go. I don't even know if I've ever measured the finished size. I made one once about 48" wide finished and couldn't get too flat. I've made them starting with 9' of material and thought they were a little short.

It is all personal preference. If you like it, use it. I still have a heavy canvas bottomed jungle hammock I bought back in mid 90s. Kind of the HH predecessor. Hammock, bugnet, and roof/tarp all in the same package. Hang2 lines to a couple trees, stretch a bungee and go to sleep. It might be 3'x7' max It's not too bad to sleep in and I used it frequently. I usually added a wooden spreader and slept on the diagaonal before I knew it was cool. Mainly because by the time I added a pillow, I needed the length.

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    It might be just because I never put a structural RL on it, but I have a "The Travel Hammock" Ultrlight Travel Hammock, and I just cannot get a flat lay in it. It's 9'6"x4'6". It's still great for lounging on campus, but just never could get comfy enough to get a good night's sleep. AND since my DIY 10x5 weighs about an ounce less, I'm not too torn up about it !

cwayman1
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I had a heck of a time figuring out the size issue for myself when I first started making diy hammocks. I kept thinking I must just need more width, since I'm only 5ft tall. Even with a wider hammock, something still didn't feel right about it though.

For the heck of it, I tried making a longer hammock, and that was the ticket!

Even at my height (or should I say shortness? ), I prefer the actual bed part of the hammock to be about 10 ft. So, now I start with 10.5 or so ft. for my diy.

This made a huge difference in comfort for me!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alienjeff650 View Post
    Ive ordered a claytor hammock from Tom to feel the difference ( I really ordered it for the cammo effect shhh I love it)
    Ill report back when I have a go on the Mosquito jungle hammock.
    Noob question ??? maybe, putting it out there any way.
    Can some one ask shakeel o'neal if he fits in a hammock, some one, any one?
    tnt
    alienjeff650
    The Claytor Jungle is nearly 10 feet long. Not reall all that short, for example my Speer is 8.5. But their(Claytor) Expedition hammock, now there is a short one for you, at 8 feet.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I hear that it's not the size of the ocean but the motion of the waves.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    "Its not the size of it, its how you use it" -Michael Caine
    (Gold Member)
    Seriously though, what your saying is that the longer the length of the hammock you get a flatter lie. And whats the biggest hammok out there?
    There will be a thread on here somewhere about all this i'll bet.
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I make my hammocks 11' long now. It removes the cut-across-the-leg problem from gathered end hammocks, and gives you a flatter lie. It is not as critical that you get the sag just right.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    awesome thanks guys, most appreciated
    Jeff's Touring Gear

Images
    There are plenty of folks who have been completely happy with their (shorter) HH Expeditions and ULBP and saved some weight to boot. And I'm fairly sure a persons height figures into how it works out with a given hammock length.

But I will repeat a question I have asked previously: has any one other than me noticed how many of the shorter HHs come up for sale here as compared to the Explorer models? In the last 4 years, how many UL Explorers have come up for sale here? Very darn few. In fact, how long has it been since there has even been an UL Explorer for sale? I'm sure it is pretty rare.

So I guess I'm asking: Is this telling us anything about hammock length needed for a lot of folks? Maybe not, but it has made me wonder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast