WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Mamba/Yeti in Compression Sack

Anyone put their Mamba or Yeti in a compression sack? I'm not a gram junkie, but I am a CC junkie. It can weigh as much as it wants as long as it doesn't take up much room in my pack. That being said, does anyone use compression stuff sacks on their down Warbonnet gear?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use a Large Granite Gear Compression sack for my winter ptarmigan and burrow. I dont pull the starps as tight as I could because I dont want to fully compress the down. I make it just small enough that it fits in the bottom of my pack. Even though the nylon is thicker and heavier I like the comprssion and the xtra waterproffing it provides. Its also easier to stuff those two quilts into a large compression sack then into stuff sacks IMHO.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't compress my down more than I need to fit it into my pack, but I don't see any reason Warbonnet's down would react to compression any differently than other down.

FWIW, here's my take on compressing my gear. If I compress it tightly in the stuff sack or a compression sack, I have a cylinder or ball to put into my pack. Put in another tight cylinder or ball, and now I have space between them that's difficult to fill because they're both firm shapes.

If my stuff sacks leave some room to squish, and I put them all into my pack, they'll squish down and shape to each other...so there's no wasted space in my pack. If I need more room, I put everything in there and squish it down from the top. Then I close the pack, and my gear expands to fill the volume, creating a more stable load.

And when I'm three days in and my food volume is lower, my gear still fills up the entire volume, keeping my load stable until I squish it down to fit in more food.

Bottom line - by using slightly larger stuff sacks I actually save room in my pack.

Just my system...you may have different requirements or just a different style so it may not work for you. But I think using compression sacks on a Warbonnet won't be any different than using compression sacks on a Montbell or Mtn Hardware bag. May not be the best thing for the gear, but they can handle it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use that method for most stuff Jeff, but compressing my sleeping bag/top quilt down until it fits into my cook pot is just too much fun!

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I agree with Jeff. I don't put my down in stuff sacks because I have a Osprey Atmos 50 and the internal shape is a really thin U. I find it works best if I just shove my down in the bottom and let it fill the voids and compress less. It also makes my hip belt fit a little better. If I need more space I just pack it down tighter from the top and use my other gear to plunge it down. YMMV.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I use that method for most stuff Jeff, but compressing my sleeping bag/top quilt down until it fits into my cook pot is just too much fun!
    Haha - well, whatever cooks your Mtn House.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Same as the others here. I use a Yeti and GOlite TQ. I use one of those very large ziplock bags as a pack liner and shove the two quilts and my down parka in first with no stuff sacks.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i use stuff sacks ...but i ike to have alittle play in them...so i can take up dead space in my pack...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I pack my quilts into a bit of an oversized sack too. I find things actually fit better in my pack that way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Just Jeff I took up you suggestion on not useing stuff sacks for my quilts and really like it. It worked really well. just stuffed them at the bottom and packed stuff around them. But my WBBB and Food Bag in the middle of the pack and packed my clots and etc around it to stablize it. Glad I got rid of that xtra compresion sack I was useing.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast