Hammock
    Not Yet Purchased
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    TBD
    Suspension
    TBD

Synthetic w/ no UQ protector vs Down with UQ protector?

Hi all,

I have never owned down anything, am just buying my first hammock (but have slept in several) and am a little worried that the NewEngland humid and rainy summer days / nights may make synthetic a better choice for an underquilt. I know I can't beat the weight and packabilty of down and is a consideration for the weekend backpacking that I do. I was wondering if you'all could offer some advice / answer some questions regarding a 20 degree under and top quilt configuration:

With an underquilt protector and down underquilt / down topquilt combo and a hex tarp what should I expect regarding wet down and upkeep to it? Another option I would like feedback on would be using a synthetic quilt (looking at Ceder Ridge Up) for my underquilt and a down topquilt. With that combo what do you think the importance / benefit is of using an under quilt protector?. Avoiding the need for an underquilt protector as saves about $50-60 and 4-5oz (makes up some of the difference between the synthetic and down underquilt options). Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Best,

Images
    Hi Sethery, for me a summer UQ made with a high quality synthetic material sound like an excellent choice. I would sure prefer that over a sweaty pad.

Winter hammock hanging is where synthetic would just be too big and bulky for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    The UP synthetic packs down nearly as small as down. And the wet humid weather performance of the UP is awesome. I have a cedar ridge TQ which gets used in the Everglades during winter months. It gets soaked and has never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have camped more in Florida than anywhere else, where the humidity cannot get any higher and, during frequent thunderstorms, it rain sideways and visibility is limited to a hundred feet. I have used nothing but down under quilts and top quilts I'd have never gotten either wet.

I have never used an underquilt protector and I use midsize tarps. In my experience, you'll be fine as long as you don't use a tarp as small as a dinner napkin.

By the way, I live in New England now where I consider the conditions much less harsh as far as rain and humidity are concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    The UP synthetic packs down nearly as small as down. And the wet humid weather performance of the UP is awesome. I have a cedar ridge TQ which gets used in the Everglades during winter months. It gets soaked and has never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any idea if it's possible to purchase UP insulation in the UK or Europe? Or is it one of those things DutchWare have patended just for themselves?

Nik

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If it's just weekend camping, I wouldn't worry about humidity (and I'm in Florida).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have camped more in Florida than anywhere else, where the humidity cannot get any higher and, during frequent thunderstorms, it rain sideways and visibility is limited to a hundred feet. I have used nothing but down under quilts and top quilts I'd have never gotten either wet.

I have never used an underquilt protector and I use midsize tarps. In my experience, you'll be fine as long as you don't use a tarp as small as a dinner napkin.

By the way, I live in New England now where I consider the conditions much less harsh as far as rain and humidity are concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    This has been my experience as well. I have a UQP but have not encountered conditions that I thought it absolutely necessary, and I've been out in some truly crappy weather more than a few times. I have a 40deg CS UQ but it has seen very little use, about 2 nights.

What will make quilts—and everything else—quite wet is fog. However, even then Downtek treated down works amazingly well in my experience.

Worst case scenario... Fog! Down worked fine

How wet can it get? This was just from fog, no rain...

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, the ground fog is the worst. Everything is covered in dew. One night getting into the hammock I had to shake off the UQ and hammock body. Thankfully, I had the tarp in its sleeve ready to deploy, so it didn't cover it too bad. Pulled the hammock from underneath and gave the sleeve a good shake to knock off the water.

I guess the UQ fabric had a DWR finish, because the water was all beaded up and shook off easily.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah, the ground fog is the worst. Everything is covered in dew. One night getting into the hammock I had to shake off the UQ and hammock body. Thankfully, I had the tarp in its sleeve ready to deploy, so it didn't cover it too bad. Pulled the hammock from underneath and gave the sleeve a good shake to knock off the water.

I guess the UQ fabric had a DWR finish, because the water was all beaded up and shook off easily.
    Sounds like perhaps Argon 67 or 90 shell. Good stuff for major wetness!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts