Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Split ridgeline knots - do you trust a taut line hitch?

I have a 11ft SLD tarp, and 2 12ft sections of Zing It for a split ridgeline. On one side, I have a taut line hitch for easy adjustment. On the other end, I have a truckers hit to get it tightened down. I just hung this setup for the first time this afternoon.

In practice, do you trust a taut line hitch using Zing It to hold under load and if wet? I have little experience with Zing It, and zero with a a taut line hitch using this line.

Any feedback would be great!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I've used it on guy lines and it held just fine. I prefer a prussik on guylines now, but not because the taut line didn't hold.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    No personal experience with taut line hitches on tarp ridgelines, but I'm aware of a variation of the taut line hitch called the Midshipmen's hitch -- that might have slightly better holding power: https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot

Images
    If the tautline is a backup knot, should be okay. If it's the primary knot, then not ok. I do use tautlines on guylines though.

I used a truckie hitch on both ends for a number of years (not to be confused with a truckers hitch). It's an adjustable, self-tightening, quick-tie approach you might like.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Just use a truckers hitch both ends. Taught line hitch is for guylines, although the adjustable group hitch works much better.

https://www.animatedknots.com/adjust...rip-hitch-knot

Tie it slipped by tucking a bight (loop) in at the end.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think a lot of these sliding hitches expect a steady pull to keep them cinched. That’s why it works so well on guy lines. My concern is storm-like conditions when you really need your tarp to do it’s magic. As the wind whips around, the tarp can be subject to tight/loosen, tight/loosen type forces and I don’t know how well a sliding knot would behave when subject to that variability.

For that reason, I “lock” my ridge line with hardware. In the past I used Figure-9’s. This summer I’m trying Nama Claws. If the tarp is taking a “pull apart” force directly - like with split ridge lines - I’d have something weaker than the tarp in the suspension series so it will break/deform before the tarp is injured. Something like an inexpensive split ring. You could put a LashIt type “jumper” cord that connects elements on each side of the split ring so if the ring fails, the jumper cord will still keep every thing up while you figure out what to do next.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use slipped Midshipman's hitch with 2mm Glowire/Guywire and it holds fine in all conditions.

Not so well with Zing-it or other uhmwpe materials.

For corner guy-outs, Blake's hitch, also fine with Glowire/Guywire, not with Zing-it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Check out the Superfly setup on Warbonnets page. Brandon shows the Slipped Buntline one one end and the Trucker's hitch on the other. Slipped Buntline is easy to loosen after a lot of wind load (flopping).

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If the tautline is a backup knot, should be okay. If it's the primary knot, then not ok. I do use tautlines on guylines though.

I used a truckie hitch on both ends for a number of years (not to be confused with a truckers hitch). It's an adjustable, self-tightening, quick-tie approach you might like.

When using paracord, I find that with the Truckie hitch that the bend would always want to fold over and slip.
    I make a second bight and loop to secure the first bight loop and I've never had this fail on me - It also just falls apart once the tension is released.

You can make the standard truckers hitch less prone to binding at the loop on the standing line if you twist the loop a few more times before feeding the working end through it.

Cheers

Macca

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I really like the adjustable grip hitch over the taut line hitch. It seems to hold better in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwG4u57Hgdo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast