Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Ridgeline and Tie Outs

Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has every used baided fishing line for a tarp ridgeline or tie outs. I think it would work well for tie outs but was wondering if it would work for a continuous ridgeline. Braided fishing line is typically made from Dyneema and comes in many pound test. I have some that is 50#, 80# and 200# test line. This line is very small and very light weight. I do not have to worry about any snow load where I am at. I am just curious how strong the ridge line needs to be for a tarp when you consider wind and rain.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Images
    Hi, neighbor! What do you mean, not worrying about snow loads? We had a ton of snow in Irmo this year!

FWIW, I used to use mason line, which I believe is 150 lbf breaking strength.

Everyone has used many different types of line to secure their tarp, just remember that if you are hanging in high winds you want the line to break and not the tarp tie outs to be damaged (plastic rings, grosgrain, whatever is on the tarp for the tie out to be tied too), if you carry extra line with you then if the line does happen to break then just tie on another piece! All in all you should be fine with 150-200lb line! I'm sure that others with more experience than I (which is just about everyone) will chime in soon!!

CB

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yea, the big blizzard of 2010! As you know in SC, when it snows just wait a few hours or a day at the most and it is gone. It is just enough to let the kids have fun and then it is gone. Plus we only have to worry about every 5 years or so.

Chris

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    50-80lb test, if that's an accurate rating, should be enough for a ridgeline. That said, I'd go for the 200lb test if you've got it. If it's Dyneema, it's little to no stretch, which is ideal for tarps. Go for it!

I've used some pretty nice, uber inexpensive, 30lb test braided polypro line and it was plenty strong.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well I tried the braided fishing line this weekend with my tarp in the back yard and found that the diameter is so small that i was having a hard time getting the ridge line tight. My current figure 9s are too big so I need to see if the smaller ones will work. This line did perform well for the tie out points using a clove hitch on the stakes.

One thing to note is that typically on braided fishinglines they have a coating that is somewhat slick and it can be difficult to get some knots to bite (ie taut line hitch).

Chris

• + New Posts