Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HG Zippered vs. Dutch Chameleon vs. DH Raven: compare and contrast

G'day!

Please hit me with the good, bad, and ugly about these three hammocks.

I believe that I want a symmetric hammock. I know that I need a bug net. I'm not sure that I'll ever need all the bells and whistles that are available for the Chameleon (although they sure are sexy), and I'm certainly not getting any of it, right away.

I don't want it to weigh the Earth, but I am not an Ultra-lighter. (I like to think of myself as a semi-lighter: I carry everything I need, and almost nothing I don't.) I don't think I can go with the lightest fabrics. Although I'd love to lose some of my on-body pack weight, I'm currently dragging around 180# on my 5'6.5" frame.

With HG's sale, this weekend, I can get theirs for $111. A comparable bare-bones Chameleon looks to be $168. The Raven is $150. No idea what any of them will charge to ship to the Great White North.

I know that a group hang might get me a chance to see them all, but it doesn't seem like those are likely to happen, this summer, and I never seem to be able to make it out to them, anyway. I'm not a gear junkie, and I don't want to keep buying stuff. If this next hammock doesn't work out, I'm going back to being a ground-dweller. I've never actually had any complaints about sleeping in tents, but I just started solo trips two years ago, and I thought a hammock would be cool.

Thank you for all input.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I may catch some flack for this, but I think the SMR Ninox is a super comfortable symmetrical hammock. It is a little on the heavier end and it's not perfect, but it is definitely super comfy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’m a big fan of Dutches hammocks. If you’re looking for a bugnet you can save some weight and go with his halfwit hammock. It’s $98.00.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ha...bric-and-color

Sintaxx77 has videos featuring it if you want to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Falarny View Post
    I’m a big fan of Dutches hammocks. If you’re looking for a bugnet you can save some weight and go with his halfwit hammock. It’s $98.00.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ha...bric-and-color

Sintaxx77 has videos featuring it if you want to check them out.

I really enjoy my Halfwit,.,.

IMG_6254.jpg

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I don’t have a DW or Raven to compare to, but I have really enjoyed my HG netted hammock over the past year. It did take a couple of nights in the backyard to get my under quilt learnt, but once it was dialed it was game on!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just curious - you seem to indicate you are having issues and not getting as comfortable an experience in the Hammock as you had hoped. Dealing with anything specific that maybe someone could help you with other than buying new gear? (Don't get me wrong, I love new gear and I love spending other people's money).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have had my dream hammock Raven for years. I have not had a bad night's sleep yet. I camp in all weather winter included. You can't go wrong.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Just curious - you seem to indicate you are having issues and not getting as comfortable an experience in the Hammock as you had hoped. Dealing with anything specific that maybe someone could help you with other than buying new gear? (Don't get me wrong, I love new gear and I love spending other people's money).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good question.

I agree with jedavisii, maybe we should know your current issues with a hammock first.

My current (first) hammock is HH Exped Classic. I use a Dutch Xenon Hex tarp, rather than the included HH tarp. I have used both an inflatable pad on the inside (four-day hike, two years ago) and the HH SuperShelter on the outside (backyard testing on several occasions since last November).

We recently got an el-cheapo hammock (netless, gathered-end, parachute nylon, with no ridgeline or net) for the family to enjoy in the back yard, and now I have some points for comparison.

I actually quite like the bottom entry of the Exped, but I dislike the hard, thick ridge it puts up the centre of the leg end. I have messed with hang angle a LOT, and have not successfully removed that problem. I would also like to be able to lie both ways. I have done it, occasionally and briefly, even in the Exped, but I know it's not good for the bug net. Now that I've lain both ways in the open hammock, I have confirmed that I would like to be able to switch, in the middle of almost any snooze, so even the swappable asyms are not really what I want.

I briefly toyed with the idea of netless plus bottom-entry bugnet, but it's not really much cheaper, once I add the Knotty mod, and I now totally understand about the "floppy" edges of an open hammock, so I think I want that. I'm sure it's lighter, due to the loss of zippers, but it also loses out on all the other handy clips and loops, which I imagine I might find useful. Please feel free to tell me otherwise.

Not sure that a Half-Wit would work for me, although I love its simplicity. My metabolism apparently makes me the tastiest treat any blood sucker has ever smelled, and any square inch of exposed skin will be in peril. It's only June, and I've already had some nights that I didn't want a blanket on me.

I am a light sleeper and an active sleeper. I know that the right hammock may change how much I move around, but I move around a lot, and so far that seems to be the case, still. So I need a hammock that allows for that, fairly easily, so I don't have to wake up all the way, every time I want to shift.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That’s all really good I formation so thank you for sharing. Others may chime in. Here are my thoughts.

I’ve only ever spent 1 night in a Hennessy so I can’t comment too much on what might be going on there.

I will say that el cheapo Amazon hammock won’t give you a truly fair comparison as a “real” gathered end will give you. I started with a 10 1/2’ el cheapo with integrated bug net and found a WORLD of difference when I upgraded. It’s added length (11’+ for most) and material is much more comfortable in that you can get a more diagonal lay. And diagonal = flatter.

Personally I have a netless hammock (Dutchware but I doubt that matters much) and a separate, bottom entry bugnet. I like the flexibility it gives my in how I lay and in getting in/out of the hammock. It’s probably heavier than say a Chameleon because there’s so much extra mesh to wrap around the full hammock.

My son has a chameleon and while he likes it (because of all the organizers and hooks it can have), he says my netless is more comfortable and less constricting. When I investigated this I seemed to feel that the various covers limit how much the hammock can spread and open up for the diagonal. Maybe it’s me but...

That said, I’m sticking with my netless and bug net for the flexibility. I have purchased a ridge line organizer and a peak shelf from Dutch to clip into my netless for some of the organization you mention. Another option would be to get just the Chameleon body that would have all the hooks etc and get the separate bug net. (I know. I’m running up the bill...!)

Also it sounded as though you are using a sleeping pad in the hammock vs an underquilt. Some find that setup unwieldy. However some say a sleeping pad will address the “calf ridge” you describe.

Hammocking is “fiddly “ and a process. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast