Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

An idea on dealing with the NX series poles

Losing the little poles is a definite worry. One idea I came up with that seems like it might work well is to sew a little sack just wide enough for the poles to fit into, and with enough extra length to be able to fold over the open end and secure. I used a little loop of shock cord, but I don't think it will hold in the stitching for very long. I would suggest elastic strap, simple ties, or velcro for the next mod. I have a string tying the sack to the handle of the built-in stuff sack. When I'm pitching the hammock, the sack with the poles in it simply hangs beneath the hammock out of the way but secure. When I'm ready, I remove the poles, install, and stow the pole sack in the hammock stuff sack and put the stuff sack back in the pocket. When breaking camp, simply do the exact reverse, placing the three poles from each end of the hammock into the pole sack as they are removed. You never have to lay them down and risk losing them. When the hammock is in its stuff sack, simply slide the pole sack under the flap. Even if it should happen to work out of the flap, it is still tied to the handle of the stuff sack. I have pictures but haven't figured out how to post them yet. I'm working on it!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I'm going to try adding a picture or two. The first is a picture of the pole sack. It is just a prototype, so ignore the horrible color. It was a nylon coat lining!
    Second: close-up of the shock cord loop and tie string
    Third: End folded over and secured
    Fourth: Poles in sack laid over the hammock stuff sack
    Fifth: Poles under flap as they could be carried
    Sixth: Pole sack hanging under stuff sack while hammock being strung
    Seventh: Retrieving poles as needed
    Eigth: Poles deployed. Pole sack still hanging from hammock pocket. I just put both the pole sack and hammock stuff sack back in the hammock pocket. Then they are the first things to come out when taking down the hammock. The poles are placed in the stuff sack as they are removed from the hammock and never have to lay them on the ground or have them fall out of your pocket. Pole sack is tied to hammock so you would have to work real hard to lose them.

I hope this might give someone an idea and we'll see where it goes from here. It seems really handy to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by waddy; 03-28-2010 at 07:17. Reason: Edit caption on last picture

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    wow, pictures....grasshopper you are ready to leave
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Coincidentally I just made the same bag as my second ever sewing project....the first being a SPE. I have also begun using a separate stuff sack for my NX 250 which has a narrow internal sleeve built in which accepts the poles perfectly. The sack is cylindrical shaped and about twenty inches in length. I like the idea of having everything in one bag...including the poles.

I also recently purchased a Luxurylite pack which is a cylindrical modular system. The modular bags/cylinders come in an 18" and 20" size which is perfect for stuffing the hammock and poles. (and lots of other crap) In that configuration I'd simply use the pole bag and lay it in the bottom of the cylinder.

Thanks for sharing your project.

Miguel

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I was concerned about the poles too, but I came up with a solution that works wonderfully. I "encase" the poles in nylon cord that has had the inner strands removed and tie both ends shut so the poles can't slide out and become lost. This way, you can never lose a pole section by accident...the cord keeps them all together, and makes setting up the hammock easier, IMO.

It's kind of difficult to explain...I mentioned it in my other thread too. I'll see if I can get some pictures up in a day or so, to show what I'm talking about. It's such a simple soultion, but it works!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    The simpler, the better. I'd love to see your pictures, I can't quite visualize it. Did you 550 cord or someting larger?

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    I was concerned about the poles too, but I came up with a solution that works wonderfully. I "encase" the poles in nylon cord that has had the inner strands removed and tie both ends shut so the poles can't slide out and become lost. This way, you can never lose a pole section by accident...the cord keeps them all together, and makes setting up the hammock easier, IMO.

It's kind of difficult to explain...I mentioned it in my other thread too. I'll see if I can get some pictures up in a day or so, to show what I'm talking about. It's such a simple soultion, but it works!
    Cool idea!!!

Thanks for posting...
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Molawns, I went back and read your original thread, and now I've got it. I'm going to try it, though I may have quite a time finding the proper rope. Not many marine stores in northwest Colorado.

• + New Posts