1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Ground Hammock

Most of the hiking I do in the winter is in the desert. When I went out a few weeks ago, I knew it would be tough to find a spot to hang, so I just brought my tent. I was miserable ... tossed and turned ... major back ache ... swore I'd never sleep on the ground again. But I enjoy backpacking in the desert. So I started to think about why I sleep so well in a hammock. And for me, a major reason is that I sleep on a small incline. My head is slightly higher than my waist.

So, I thought if I could just raise the the head end of the hammock off the ground, it might be close enough to 'hanging' that I could get a good nights sleep. So, last night I tired it. It was the best night's sleep I've ever had on the ground.

I used a bridge hammock (JRB BMBH). I don't think this would work with a gathered end hammock. I think the BMBH is perfect for this as it has a pocket that accepts an air mattress and keeps it in place. I was using a Thermorest NeoAir. Pads would work as well. You just need to find a single, 5-6' tree/object to hang the hammock from ... with the surrounding ground relatively flat/clean. (This is a least possible in the desert). I think the spreader bar is what makes this work. It allows the head of the hammock to be 10-12" off the ground but most of air pad is in contact with the ground, improving the insulating capability. It's comfortable either on my back or side. Bottom line, I think I only woke up twice ... feeling some cold on my back. But I readjusted my TQ and I was back to sleep. Some pics:

This is how I hung the hammock. The foot end is stacked to the ground and used to pull the hammock away from the post the head end is hung from. I used a small piece of Tyvek to protect the hammock.

This is with the tarp. If I felt like it was going to rain, I'd probably pull the hammock away from the post a bit more. Would probably need a beak as well.

Another angle.

Last edited by Scratch; 03-28-2010 at 14:26.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is a great idea. As long as you can find a suitable set up, but with enough amsteel anything is possible. I also like to hike in the desert.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Nice design. I have friends who hammock in the desert and hang between two rocks or over an arroyo. Is it stable enough to tie the back end off the ground if you find appropriate tie outs?
    Jim S

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Nice design. I have friends who hammock in the desert and hang between two rocks or over an arroyo. Is it stable enough to tie the back end off the ground if you find appropriate tie outs?
    Jim S
    2 stakes (one in back of the other) appear to be sufficient to keep the hammock stable (in hard soil).

I've tried the 2 rock approach ... but finding rocks that are appropriately spaced that have a means of affixing the suspension ... well that's another matter.
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts