Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    As goes with any of our HF Cottage Vendors. They can receive and act upon user/buyer input and feedback.

If something goes wrong with a product, it can be changed and modified, to better fit the customer and market, because they aren't in the middle of a 1 million unit production run. You have a complaint or failure with mass produced products, the best you can ever hope for is probably a replacement of the same exact item.

Easy to go on..but that is just one thing that has always jumped out at me. I rarely buy a hammock w/o speaking with the builder at some point. Try that with a major store brand on any kind.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    The cottage-vendor hammocks will be longer, made of better (stronger/lighter) material, and will be one-piece, where the cheapy hammocks might be three pieces sewn together with two potentially uncomfortable seams.

If you want something cheaper than a Chameleon, Dutch sells both netless hammocks, and separate, non-zippered bugnets. It's what I use and prefer.

Example:

$30 Hammock: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wi...less-hexon-17/
    $57 Bugnet: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bottom-entry-bugnet/

Also, if you have access to a sewing machine you can buy the fabric and sew them yourself to save a bit of money. They're both super-easy things to sew.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I started with a cheap Amazon hammock that was on sale and I thought it was great.

Then I upgraded to the Kammock mantis and was amazed how much better it was. But they only make them in 10.5' and I'm 6'2".

So doing more research I recently got a 11' dream hammock sparrow and it's way better.

Better fabrics, more space, all this sounds minor but makes a huge impact.

Having a lay built to how you lay, head right for me.
    The mantis had quite a bit of stretch and it made it hard to get out of. With my dream hammock I went dual layer and it makes it a lot easier to get out of.
    Also the firmer material made side sleeping a lot easier and better.

Also your cheaper hammocks don't always have Ridgelines, storage options like Ridgeline hangers, peak lofts side pockets, etc..

I've spent a decent chunk of change with my 3 hammock setups in the last 5 years or so but I also hang on my deck so I spend a lot of time in them and I don't regret a penny I've spent.

I guess it all also depends on disposable income. One thing that might help is the cottage vendors mostly have amazing long warranties so you know your purchase will last a long time or if not they will stand by it. Your cheaper hammocks do not have that.

This last weekend my brother had 3 coalatree hammocks for his wife and 2 kids and I wish I took a picture because the stitching was terrible and compared to my dream hammock it was night and day.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What defines cheap is another discussion. An ENO doublenest can cost $40-$70 and it's a cheap hammock. I wrote a longer post 4x but most of it is nit picky or has been already said.

Most important is the quality of the fabric. You can't upgrade that. The cheap hammocks I have owned and operated, including a doublenest, feel very scratchy in comparison to my DIY hammocks made from hyperD fabric (also available from cottage vendors at a price comparable to making your own when about $10 in labor is considered). They also seem to sag way more than they ought to, considering their weight.

The ridgeline is also very important, but you can add one yourself.

If you do your research on this site, which can be a bit overwhelming, you can buy a cheap hammock and it'll make you want to upgrade because you'll probably like the experience for what it is, knowing that some things could definitely be better, and will probably want the better stuff. If you jump in thinking a cheap hammock is the whole deal you'll probably decide you don't like hammocking. You're off to a good start. I'm glad I started with a cheap hammock, I'm just bummed I spent more than I would have on a good one.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I think the biggest benefits from the mass produced stuff I noticed is -

Better / more comfortable fabric
    Amazing customer support
    generally more comfortable lay, significantly so in some cases
    you feel good about yourself for supporting small businesses and having something unique

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    One more thing is that a quality cottage hammock has high resale value posted on the HF For Sale forums whereas the cheapo amazon hammock has practically no value or interest for HF members browsing the for sale forum. My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Derch View Post
    I started with a cheap Amazon hammock that was on sale and I thought it was great.

Then I upgraded to the Kammock mantis and was amazed how much better it was. [snip]

So doing more research I recently got a 11' dream hammock sparrow and it's way better.
    I'm currently happy with my cheap Amazon hammock but I haven't experienced any of the nicer hammocks either. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (especially for the wallet)

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. so its more like a handmade craftsman quality car vs an assembly line and quality varies much more on the assembly line.

An assembly line in Asia...

Hammock
    Generic Wish.com special
    Tarp
    Evolution 12'x10'
    Insulation
    Subito 50°
    Suspension
    Walmart tree strap
    Ok, I'll drop my opinion too, though I'm not sure how qualified I am to do so.

If I understand your question correctly, you're contemplating the difference between a $20 hammock vs a $160 hammock. Beyond the obvious difference in price, here's what I think...

$20 hammock... Depending on exactly it's type, and making a few assumptions, while it might work well enough for hammock camping, but likely is more so intended for relaxing in the backyard. This one is likely mass produced in China to achieve such a low price.

$160 hammock... This is a hammock that has bee researched, tested, refined specifically for hammock camping. Because of its specific niche it's more than likely not mass produced.

I currently have and primarily use an 8ft generic hammock I bought off wish.com for about $10. I'm 5'11" and for me right now, it's comfortable enough for the couple of nights a year I get out. I will be upgrading my hammock at some point in the future. I'm fortunate that I get to camp once in a while with other people that have some of the purpose built camping hammocks that I can lay in to try out different manufacturers and styles.

So my opinion is get which ever you can afford. If you have the opportunity to try the expensive one you're looking at before you buy to make sure it's going to work for you, I'd try before you buy.

Just my thoughts.
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast