Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Spring MAHA ?: DIY Woopie Slings

So I am attending the MAHA and have some 2.2 grey lash/zing it from the group buy. I was wonderin if any one attending has a woopie sling makeing tool and knows how to make them and would be willing to help me make a pair and attach them To my WBBB on saturday. Ive looked around at Joan Fabrics for a thin needle and am just not getting it. I am a very visual learner and just reading the directions dont really do it for me . Thanks for any one who can help me out mucho appriciated. Cant wait for this hang spring is fighting it way around the corner.

~LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There was a good workshop on whoopies at the Fall MAHHA, and there were a number people there who were familiar with making whoopies using a number of different splicing tools. I think you can count on there being whoopie tutors available. I just bought ten loop turners, some of which I will keep, but will be happy to sell the others at cost ($2.47). With 2.2 mm cord, you may want to use a piece of wire bent in half. Also a large darning needle works, but you may want to use a fine file to turn the sharp point into a ballpoint.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That would be pretty cool WV...I have about 120 ft of 2.2 zing/lash it left over after I made my ridge line so Im set on cord. id be more then happy to purchase a loop turner from ya if you have xtras. Then I can pick at people brains for some hands on DIY instructions. After My first Trip this past weekend I very quickly identified many areas that i can lighten up my load. Starting with switching from straps to woopie slings

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    That is a great video and makes the concept of splicing much easier to visualize in my head, but man now doing that with 2.2 mm cord I see why their such a challenge to make. Ill prob wait to the spring MAHA to make a pair, dont want to end up on my a$$ in my hammock. I got a solid 11hrs of sleep in it Friday night to sat morning slept comfy as a baby in its crib. Dont ever want to wake up on the ground again.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I agree with WV. There will be plenty of tutors available, especially around dinner time on Saturday when most of us are together for the potluck and raffle. The picnic tables at the pavilion are the perfect place to sit around and make and discuss them. You'll be amazed how quickly you can make a whoopie sling once you know what you are doing. Just bring the supplies to make them. Cord, scissors, tape to tape the ends, yardstick to measure length (if you want to be that precise). WV brings the turners. You'll have slings in no time. The pavilion is right by the parking lot so you can leave supplies in your car until dinner.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    lazy, if you goto yoru local fabric store, you can purchase a small package that sould have 4-5 different threading(don't know proper term) needles. There are these plastic light blue ones that work great for 1/8 or 7/64 amsteel, smaller metal ones work better for dynemma.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I spliced my lines of lash it/zing it I used an old guitar string. Just bent it over to create a loop to grab the line. Worked great plus plenty long.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    So I am attending the MAHA and have some 2.2 grey lash/zing it from the group buy. I was wonderin if any one attending has a woopie sling makeing tool and knows how to make them and would be willing to help me make a pair and attach them To my WBBB on saturday.

~LRR
    Just for the record, 2.2mm Zing-It/Lash-It has a rating of 600 pounds (IIRC). Not the most suitable strength for a hammock suspension. Most whoopie slings are made from 7/64th or 1/8th Amsteel which has a strength rating of 1600 - 2500 pounds.

That being said, there is no reason not to splice the cord you have for hammock structural ridge lines, tarp ridge lines, tarp guy lines, etc.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    When I spliced my lines of lash it/zing it I used an old guitar string. Just bent it over to create a loop to grab the line. Worked great plus plenty long.
    Good idea. I've heard of people using telephone wire (individual strand, with or without insulation, too. It's probably good to try a number of different methods. Loop turners may not be for everybody, and they might be a bit large for zing-it/lash-it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast