Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing

a widowmaker is vanquished (attached pics)

Weary of test hanging in the woodshed, yesterday I commenced a preliminary run to my very much under development backyard haven. Several implements of destruction were loaded into me ole huntin' truck and up the hill we went. After clearing underbrush for a couple of hours, the first big project was to do away with a widowmaker. Enlisted spkldoe's help felling this one as it appeared the tree would want to pitch the wrong way.

Practicing my very rudimentary ropecraft...slung a small line thru the 12 ft high forks w/ a weighted bag, pulled up a long heavy rope, tied a slip knot and tugged it into place. Tied that rope to another heavy length using a double fisherman and secured to ball hitch with a couple of half hitches and then spkldoe tensioned whole shebang with the truck. I notched the sizeable sugar maple and commenced the back cut. As the widowmaker begin to give ever so slightly, I whailed like a banshee for spkldoe to pull for all the lil pickup was worth and I continued cutting until the bole pitched to the notch whereupon me and Mr. Stihl most hastily hauled freight out the back door . The tree settled neatly to the ground in the intended location and as my sphincter begin to relax, a major adrenaline rush ensued!

Shortly thereafter, the widowmaker was completely vanquished and a firewood supply for our budding backyard campsite (and a share for the woodshed too) was in hand.

After a little more limbing, trimming, piling and raking, next major addition will be a fire pit of field stone gathered from our ground over the years. Nuttin' fancy, just a keyhole pit with chimney rock, a sturdy metal grilling grate and perhaps a dutch oven hanger.

Future plans include a picnic table, a privy and some benches fashioned from a huge Arbovitae (think cedar) log that blew down years ago. I never knew why I kept that log off the ground all these years, but I do now!

It's raining today and progress is hold, but the view from the new site could be worse. Thanks for listening and y'all come on over, the grub and the danglin' is gonna be good!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Very cool report! Thanks for sharing the tale...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
    Weary of test hanging in the woodshed, yesterday I commenced a preliminary run to my very much under development backyard haven. Several implements of destruction were loaded into me ole huntin' truck and up the hill we went. After clearing underbrush for a couple of hours, the first big project was to do away with a widowmaker. Enlisted spkldoe's help felling this one as it appeared the tree would want to pitch the wrong way.

Practicing my very rudimentary ropecraft...slung a small line thru the 12 ft high forks w/ a weighted bag, pulled up a long heavy rope, tied a slip knot and tugged it into place. Tied that rope to another heavy length using a double fisherman and secured to ball hitch with a couple of half hitches and then spkldoe tensioned whole shebang with the truck. I notched the sizeable sugar maple and commenced the back cut. As the widowmaker begin to give ever so slightly, I whailed like a banshee for spkldoe to pull for all the lil pickup was worth and I continued cutting until the bole pitched to the notch whereupon me and Mr. Stihl most hastily hauled freight out the back door . The tree settled neatly to the ground in the intended location and as my sphincter begin to relax, a major adrenaline rush ensued!

Shortly thereafter, the widowmaker was completely vanquished and a firewood supply for our budding backyard campsite (and a share for the woodshed too) was in hand.

After a little more limbing, trimming, piling and raking, next major addition will be a fire pit of field stone gathered from our ground over the years. Nuttin' fancy, just a keyhole pit with chimney rock, a sturdy metal grilling grate and perhaps a dutch oven hanger.

Future plans include a picnic table, a privy and some benches fashioned from a huge Arbovitae (think cedar) log that blew down years ago. I never knew why I kept that log off the ground all these years, but I do now!

It's raining today and progress is hold, but the view from the new site could be worse. Thanks for listening and y'all come on over, the grub and the danglin' is gonna be good!
    Nice account spklbuk. I dropped a big hybrid poplar that was too close to the house in January - one of my hammock trees. The other one blew over on the house in December. I applaud your technique. Mine was similar, even including having my wife watch the top of the tree while I cranked the come-along. She blew the safety whistle when it started to move, and I hustled out of the way. Ain't it great when they fall where you want 'em to, and anxiety is replaced by pride of accomplishment? Looks like you have a pretty spot for your hammock!

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    That's a great story! looks like I nice place to "HANG" out . I love working on my own hang out spot too.( pics in my profile)

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Appreciate y'alls time. Can't wait to make more headway!

WV...hope your house has recovered from the Dec fall...that bites. I been putting off cutting a sugar too close to the house. Might just give your come along technique a try. Thanks.

Myles...easy to see why you enjoy your spot!
    montani semper liberi

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    ...dropped a big hybrid poplar that was too close to the house in January
    I got one over 100' tall that is 30' from the house, and preventing three hemlocks underneath it from flourishing. Before we bought the house, the poplar dropped a big branch through the roof. Gotta get some help and eliminate that thing!

Nice job, spklbuk!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Thanks Mac.

And yep, definitely time to recruit help on that big mambajamba!!
    montani semper liberi

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post

...snip..

Gives " hang'n out the woodshed" a whole new meaning.

That looks a lot like my '92 Toy w/ same deercatcher on the front!

Nice location. Thanks for sharing.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Yeh, it sure feels great when they come down where you want them. I had a fair-sized maple die at the corner of my driveway and the road. Wire running along the other side of the road - so wanted to drop it in the yard. I cut a good wedge out and worked the back cut - the tree wouldn't fall. I left my wife to stop traffic if the tree looked like it would come down the wrong way and hunted up a good wedge. Eventually I pounded in the wedge and and it went over in the correct direction. Only about an inch of tree had been left uncut and it was balancing with that. Sometimes those dead trees are the worse.

I'm glad yours came down as planned. Have fun hanging back there.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I still chuckle about the time when the good ol' boy topped a pine tree next to my house, while a crew was busy working. He cut the pinetop and turned off his saw to watch it land with a big Thud! into the only empty space, narrowly missing a beautiful dogwood and a group of azalea bushes. Everyone was silent for a moment, then from the top of the pine stick, he yelled, "Right where I wanted it... on the ground!"
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast