WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

New and requesting some help please

I live in upstate NY and am an avid fisherman and would like to start doing more overnight trips and I've never had a good experience sleeping on the ground so this seems right for me. I am trying to put together a 3 season system that'll see me through the occasional night down as low as the mid to low 30s in the late fall. I have decided on a Warbonnet Eldorado, Superfly, and a 20° Yeti I'm fairly certain. I have been buying the best that my budget will allow, a bit more in fact but I could not find any comparable items any cheaper elsewhere so I figure I'm best off just doing the essentials right and going from there. I am not certain what to use as guyline though, what do y'all use? Warbonnet has 1.75mm dyneema but it's $20 for 100', am I best off just getting a spool of this or are there bettter options for comparable or cheaper cost?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    There are tons of options for guyline out there. I personally use lash-it or zing-it, I buy it by the mini spool of 180ft for $22-$25. It's low stretch, uber strong, UV stable and doesn't hold water. This is pretty much the same as the 1.75mm line. That said, a roll of braided (not twisted) Mason line for $5 will also get the job done as will paracord, tarred bank line or any other small diameter cordage. A lot of folks like to build a weak link into the tarp system that gives before the tarp tears in high wind, I've never had a problem but many make a passionate case for it.

I actually use the tarred bank line for all my auxiliary tarps and cordage needs and it has made it's way into my pack by virtue of it's availability(big spools are cheap). I think the last spool I bought was ~$15 for a 1lb roll of No. 12 which they say is around 1500ft and has 100lbs breakstrength.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you've done your homework and are off to a great start!
    Last edited by Kallorne; 08-11-2020 at 10:17.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would recommend Ripstop By The Roll for the 1.75 dyneema line but shipping charges might come into play there as far as economy goes if that's all you're getting from them. Are you settled on down? Simply Light Designs sells a great synthetic underquilt. The insulation is cut to cover just the part you actually use so the weight is still quite low. Better water protection and $45 less for the same temp rating. It has other benefits but I'm already repping them pretty hard and I don't work for them just a happy customer.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rusty, Welcome to the forum. Remember, you don’t have to buy “new”. There are a lot of good deals in the ForSale sub-forum. As for line, I don’t like to fuss with it and I am strong enough to deal with the weight difference between 2.2mm and 2.5mm, or even 3mm. The thicker (up to a point) the easier it is to deal with.

There are “all knot” schools of thought and “no knot” schools and in-between. So people use hardware, like Nite-ese Figure-9’s or more expensive titanium “bling” from Dutchware. Nama Claws instead of prusik knots on tarp ridge lines, etc.

It’s all preference and though reading about it gives you depth of knowledge, it doesn’t give you experience. For example, you’ll read about the glory of Whoopie Slings - it’s an adjustable length loop made from Amsteel (strong woven cord). But until you used them it’s difficult to predict if they are your cup of tea (or coffee - see differences; not good or bad).

Note that the “weak link” mentioned above is usually not the cord. There are many sources for inexpensive split rings. The idea is you’d put a split ring on the end of your tarp or some guy lines and if the wind is really strong and your tarp is taking the brunt of it, the split ring is weak enough that it will start to bend and open. It idea is that something in the suspension is weaker than the fabric (but not too weak) so that it will break/distort before the fabric rips.

The setup you mentioned sounds really good for 3 seasons. If you get a UQP (under quilt protector - like from 2QZQ) it will add a little more warmed at the cold end and on really warm days or day hikes (with napping on the agenda) it may provide enough wind protection (you loose heat from wind blowing under the hammock) that you may not need an underquilt or could get by with light ReflexIt material between the hammock and the UQP.

You may read about snake skins for your tarp. Just like the “weak link” and UQP, some like them; some don’t see the need. You may not see the need until you try to set your tarp up in strong wind. So again - there’s broad “knowledge” and there is experience.

The way to get experience is to get out there and so you can make as many mistakes as your can and learn from every one of them. I know things from reading; I learn things from making mistakes. Maybe I’ll make that my signature line
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really like the Warbonnet guyline. Sorta stiff so does not knot up a lot when deploying.
    Eldorado is my go-to hammock these days.
    Enjoy your hammock quest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Rusty, Welcome to the forum. Remember, you don’t have to buy “new”. There are a lot of good deals in the ForSale sub-forum. As for line, I don’t like to fuss with it and I am strong enough to deal with the weight difference between 2.2mm and 2.5mm, or even 3mm. The thicker (up to a point) the easier it is to deal with.

There are “all knot” schools of thought and “no knot” schools and in-between. So people use hardware, like Nite-ese Figure-9’s or more expensive titanium “bling” from Dutchware. Nama Claws instead of prusik knots on tarp ridge lines, etc.

It’s all preference and though reading about it gives you depth of knowledge, it doesn’t give you experience. For example, you’ll read about the glory of Whoopie Slings - it’s an adjustable length loop made from Amsteel (strong woven cord). But until you used them it’s difficult to predict if they are your cup of tea (or coffee - see differences; not good or bad).

Note that the “weak link” mentioned above is usually not the cord. There are many sources for inexpensive split rings. The idea is you’d put a split ring on the end of your tarp or some guy lines and if the wind is really strong and your tarp is taking the brunt of it, the split ring is weak enough that it will start to bend and open. It idea is that something in the suspension is weaker than the fabric (but not too weak) so that it will break/distort before the fabric rips.

The setup you mentioned sounds really good for 3 seasons. If you get a UQP (under quilt protector - like from 2QZQ) it will add a little more warmed at the cold end and on really warm days or day hikes (with napping on the agenda) it may provide enough wind protection (you loose heat from wind blowing under the hammock) that you may not need an underquilt or could get by with light ReflexIt material between the hammock and the UQP.

You may read about snake skins for your tarp. Just like the “weak link” and UQP, some like them; some don’t see the need. You may not see the need until you try to set your tarp up in strong wind. So again - there’s broad “knowledge” and there is experience.

The way to get experience is to get out there and so you can make as many mistakes as your can and learn from every one of them. I know things from reading; I learn things from making mistakes. Maybe I’ll make that my signature line
    Thanks for the helpful info, I am just going to start as basic as I can with suspension and guyines and all that and try this and that until I find what works for me. As far as used vs new I've always preferred to start out with new but I'll take a look at the used thread, thank you.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    I would recommend Ripstop By The Roll for the 1.75 dyneema line but shipping charges might come into play there as far as economy goes if that's all you're getting from them. Are you settled on down? Simply Light Designs sells a great synthetic underquilt. The insulation is cut to cover just the part you actually use so the weight is still quite low. Better water protection and $45 less for the same temp rating. It has other benefits but I'm already repping them pretty hard and I don't work for them just a happy customer.
    Is there any advantage to synthetics over down? I looked at their site/selection and unless there's a good reason to go with them I think I'd rather pay the extra $40 for the more well known make with down. They also want an additional $15 for their compression/stuff sack.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Is there any advantage to synthetics over down? I looked at their site/selection and unless there's a good reason to go with them I think I'd rather pay the extra $40 for the more well known make with down. They also want an additional $15 for their compression/stuff sack.
    I own 2 trailwinders and they are excellent and several other items from simply light, like my favorite hammock. That said they will not hold a candle to the warmth to weight ratio and compactness of the 20* Yeti, they're not in the same category.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This may well be the case. Down will pretty much always beat synthetic insulation in warmth/weight ratio as long as it's dry. The compression sack is an addition thing, the Trail Winder comes with a stuff sack. In general, synthetics are better for humid/wet environments as they retain their insulation value when wet. The TW in particular is essentially an insulated UQP. I've had about half of it soaked in a storm when my "porch mode" tarp setup failed while I was at work, and it dried out fully in the span of a summer afternoon. Down in contrast becomes useless and heavy when it's wet. That said, you're probably not going to soak everything on a short trip. It becomes more of a thing during longer/consistently raining backpacking trips/through hiking.
    Last edited by bearito; 08-11-2020 at 13:37.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    According to the Whats Included section on the Eldorado it says it comes with "Elastic side-guylines" you just need to provide the stakes. I could be wrong at what your asking though

Happy Hammocking!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast