Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Hi All,
    No I'm not trolling, sorry if it seems that way. I am just totally amazed at all of the gear carried by hammockers and was commenting about how complex its become. I mean things get more and more complex until suddenly they get simple through some innovation. I'll sleep in a hammock or a tent as seems fit. I have been watching hammock movies including Shugs, and I just am amazed at under quilts, under quilt covers, reflective pads, inflatable pads, extension pads and over quilts, covers, bug nets and tarps. Frankly my winter tent set up is extremely uncomplicated and goes up in ten minutes including the air mattress.

I was just trying to point out that there is so much gear, like Shug uses a big ole sled to carry it all, and somehow in the back of your mind is the image of simplicity and hangin free.

I may decide to post photos of my device, As I hesitate to call it a hammock tent anymore... the materials for the next model are in the mail. And yes Lori you seem like such a crusader, and in a way your are, but please don't take that as a diss.
    Jim S
    Well Jim .... I used the sled/pulk once and all I had was my pack in it. Just trying something different and was looking to have a muse for a video. Same with all the other gear in the videos .... I don't always take it ALL on a trip but just trying to show options. I get a lot of e-mails through YouTube from folks wanting to see this or that or have it explained. Having spent some time at this hammock thing ... I just wanted to show that one can use a pad or a under quilt covers, reflective pads, extension pads and over quilts, covers, bug nets and tarps or whatever they want. Less or more.

This year on my winter trips my pack was on my back. I do like that way better in the back-woods.
    You see it as complex but I see it as fun with options and exploring them and finding MY system is really joyful for me. Same as you inventing your hanging tent.... hopefully joyful.
    But see ... I am a tarp guy .... have done tents forever and ultra-light tarps and bivy bags but I really never liked the confinement of a tent. Just prefer the airy joy of a tarp and a hammock.

My winter tent (pyramid tent Go-Lite) is light and simple and I have pads for mild and deep winter camping but the hammock is just plain fun for me. Would use the tent if the need arrives but so far I have not gone back to it. Just not complex enough for me! That is a wee attempt at levity.

Think what you want about me but ol' Shug is hangin' free Jim.... hanging free.
    Last edited by Shug; 03-30-2010 at 00:12.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too once was blown away at how complicated complete hammock setups can be. Honestly once you start small and add things for comfort and convenience (like whoopie slings, s-biners, weather shields, figure 9's, etc) you can appreciate them being there in your rig.

Heck I just got an eno one day, started camping with it, realized how retarded I was for not having bottom insulation or a bug net (GA summers are nasty) and some other things. Then cracked open the wallet...

It grows on you, and for some never stops...

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Not to jump in on Jim but to show another perspective from someone else that is new to Hammock Forums and to hammock's in general.....

As many of you know, I am finishing my first DIY Hammock/Tarp project. After much thought, I decided to go big with the not so classic pole-barn disguised as a hammock tarp design. I mean this thing is a monster. I'm not sure If I was the "DIY Tarp with beaks" that Lori refers to or not. lol

I know it was overkill, but no one said a word of negativity.

Side note: The funny thing is I coined it the Skookum Stealth. Pole-barns aren't exactly stealthy you know.

Anyway, I have gotten nothing but help, out-right bend-over-backwardness, (that's a word in Indiana dammit) encouragement and friendship during my continued learning curve. I can just feel the love here. It's awesome.

Jim, I saw your Hammock in a Tent design. It reminded me of a houseboat as compared to a kayak. I love to kayak. Houseboats can be cool too. (as long as I don't have to drag them around). <- lil joke attempt

Don't take it personal. these fine folks are here to help. (Except for maybe Gargoyle. he likes to keep people in suspense and toy with them....

After reading your latest post, I would also agree that it can be a bit complicated but it can be extremely simple too. That's the beauty. It is what you make it. That's why I am digging on this so much.

I look forward to seeing your finished project.

Oh and Shug go to bed.

-Skookum
    Last edited by Skookum; 03-30-2010 at 00:11. Reason: Rethunk sumthin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I think Angry Sparrow said it best---------HYOH! hike your own hike, hang your own hammock! Especially with this crowd, making their own gear, and inventing/pushing the envelope with new designs etc, gear choice is intensly personal, and fully backed by very strong opinions! (my self included!) Thats what makes this forum so great! Theres really no right or wrong way to camp/hang. As Abe Lincoln once said............"what ever works for you dude"!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    After much thought, I decided to go big with the not so classic pole-barn disguised as a hammock tarp design. I mean this thing is a monster. I'm not sure If I was the "DIY Tarp with beaks" that Lori refers to or not. lol
    Nope - I was referring to an actual tarp tent suspended over a hammock. That there camo thing you have is a winter tarp on steroids. Coolllll.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have been watching hammock movies including Shugs, and I just am amazed at under quilts, under quilt covers, reflective pads, inflatable pads, extension pads and over quilts, covers, bug nets and tarps.
    Some very valid points.

I think that most people that take up hammock camping are converting from tents. They have $$ invested in tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc. The tendency is to try and use these items to start with. Plus they are hesitant to invest in something they are not sure of so they try all the lower cost ways of trying to stay warm. This leads to many repeat threads about things like using space blankets, windshield reflectors, and other alternative items.

You can go to work and say I bought a tent and everyone thinks you are a mountain man, say you bought a hammock and get the "he is crazy" looks. Anyone can go to REI and get outfitted for tent camping. This is what most of grew up exposed to in scouts, TV, car camping, etc.

No one starts out saying all I need is a hammock with bugnet, a big SWT style tarp (eliminates need for overcovers, undercovers, etc.) a good UQ (eliminates pads, space blankets, windshield reflectors etc), and I will use the sleeping bag I have always used. I will add something like an overcover later after I have tried the basic setup. If they did they would spend a lot less money in the long run and enjoy it more initially.

The thing is that every once in awhile someone going through the process will think of something new to improve the hammock camping experience. Some us like the tinkering part of the process. The biggest reason it can get confusing is that because of our families, jobs, etc we do not get to use our equipment as much as we want, so we get on here and think of ways we might use it. Most of the hammock hikers do tend to keep it simple on the trail. I know that when I car camp I will try new ideas etc. but when I hit the trail I want it fool proof, simple, and quick to set up. If every new hammock convert could go with an experienced hiker they would see that it is a simple process.

The bottom line is that hammock camping can be as simple as a tent but the conversion process from tent to hammock can be complicated. IMO

Also this forum is not just about how to hammock camp but is a place for anyone to share ideas about the next great diy project. Someone just coming on the forum could think that hammock camping is very complicated when threads like the bridge hammock math were the hot topic, etc.

Tent/rainfly = Hammock/Tarp
    Good Inflatable down pad= UQ
    Use sleeping bag in both

Everything else is what makes it your own journey

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    I only used a Dingo swag by Down Under Swags exclusively for years (packs great on a motorbike)when I was young, then came the wife and tin lids (kids) so I used tents for a time then I did my back in which meant no camping for 10 years until the back was better. Then I came accross one of Shugs vids on hammocks and went WOW I can camp out again whoobuddy thanks shug. The point is that ideas/ideals change with time and age. I used to only bring camping 1 pot 1 box of matches and a 6 pack of beer and instant pasta packs. I still have my swag but I cant use it mmmm swags minimalism is a good thing. Some people bring the whole house camping, good for them. I can use their dustpan & broom lol
    To each is own.
    Last edited by alienjeff650; 03-30-2010 at 02:21.
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is some complexity, but it roots in simplicity. To start you don't need to set everything up unless you are going to sleep right away. Once you get in camp, if its raining you just set up tarp. Once you are done with that you have a nice dry area to start cooking your dinner (I use freeze dried foods so I am boiling water). After dinner has started you can set up your hammock to sit in. You don't need the quilts yet. Once you are ready to go to bed, set up your quilts, make necessary adjustments and have a wonderful nights sleep.

In regards to time set up, I normally am not rushing to set up camp as quick as possible, unless I am going to sleep right away. You mentioned that your tent can be set up in 10 minutes. My hammock set up, suspension, hammock, tarp, underquilt can be set up in less than 10 minutes and I can start a cup of tea. As was said before, take our suggestions/advice/comments for what they are, helpful and hoping to bring clarity
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If you want to see how simple hammock camping can be, limit your hammock related equipment to what Ed Speer sells.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Unless the ground is frozen and I have to find something to pound in my stakes, I can have my winter kit set up in less than 10 minutes. And, for me, I'm much more comfortable in the hammock than on the ground. Works for my style.

And that Jeep thing? I only did that b/c I knew folks had video cameras and I wanted to put a teaching point on YouTube. I think I succeeded.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast