Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginTom View Post
    I too once was blown away at how complicated complete hammock setups can be. Honestly once you start small and add things for comfort and convenience (like whoopie slings, s-biners, weather shields, figure 9's, etc) you can appreciate them being there in your rig.

Heck I just got an eno one day, started camping with it, realized how retarded I was for not having bottom insulation or a bug net (GA summers are nasty) and some other things. Then cracked open the wallet...

It grows on you, and for some never stops...
    Right. And I can see how it all seems complicated to the Noob who had already got all ground techniques (for being "comfortable", dry and warm) down pat from years of experience. But is it really complicated, or just different and new?

I do remember how, when I 1st used them, I thought the HH and especially the HH Super Shelter were the most complicated crap I had ever seen. But, after I had used one for a week or two, and put the SS on and taken it off a few times, I'm suddenly wondering what it was I found so complicated about it in the first place.

And really, once you get past the whole "hanging in the air" concept, how different or complicated is it in actuality?

Look at the 4 season tent/pad combo that was mentioned by Jim. You have an inner tent, which is suspended by multiple poles, which is then covered by yet another tent known as the rain fly, then all staked out to the ground. What is simple about that, if you have never seen one set up before?

So OK, I can set up any of my tents- which I am quite familiar with- very easily. But if I loan those tents to friend/relatives who have not used them before, they are often quite confused for a while trying to figure out what to do first, which pole threads through which sleeve, etc. And if they have never used a 4 season tent of some different brand before, and it is getting dark fast, just forget it. It can become hopeless with out me being there to tell them what to do. Is that really all that much easier than first time in a hammock, even with a HHSS? I'm not sure it is. Maybe down UQs of the non-dif cut design add a little complexity at first. So that you don't hang them with too much gap or too tight.

And once you get that tent pitched, in a place where a rock or root or slope is not going to ruin your sleep, you are not done. You have to get your thick heavy pad inflated. You need an adequately thick pad for both insulation and cushioning. For a lot of us, that is a pretty thick pad. That is not a weight free object!

And Lord help you if you have to accomplish all of the above in a severe storm. I always found that to be quite a challenge! With my tarp in snake skins, I usually find it pretty easy to set up keeping dry.

But the hammock is a new and different approach at first, and requires learning a few new tricks. Things are different in a few ways compared to setting up a tent on the ground. But different is not really the same thing as harder or more complicated. Just different. All of these hammock related complexities, once I had learned them, suddenly seemed simple rather than complex.

But there is nothing wrong with some sort of hammock "tent" approach. There are times when that could be kind of handy.

But the main thing is: are you having fun? Which ever approach you find most pleasing, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    You can stack up two CCF pads and get to 0F for about $20 for bottom insulation, and use the sleeping bag you already have. Get a blue poly tarp from Walmart for another $15 and make a DIY hammock for around $10, suspension included. What are we at now...$45?

It's only robbery if they're taking it from you. People here willingly send their money!

It's only complex b/c we're gearheads and we like the challenge of over-analyzing everything. Without that, it's as simple as bottom insulation, top insulation, and rain protection...just like in a tent or under a tarp on the ground. Only more comfortable for many of us.

If the comfort doesn't convince you...well, as long as you're enjoying yourself in the woods, nothing else matters, does it?
    Hey Jeff, good suggestions..Not bad ideas if you ask me..I must say, it took me about 2 years to finally break down and buy a tarp tent, then when I did, I never went back to the old style..

saying that, the one hammock I am really convinced of (besides teh price) is the Clarks Jungle Hammock.Looks simple enough and watching the videos, I like the layout..

I can see the potentual for hammocks especially in the winter on a thru hike and the shelters are full and lots of snow on the ground..Does sound good to get off the snow..Thats for sure..

Even though I did make my last post sound I wasnt interested, I am, its just I look at the figures and, well, you know..I am going to look more into the Clarks Hammock, as i said I really like the layout of his..And haging in Texas does have it's promises...(If your from texas, you know what I'm talking about..)

Graywolf

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Great stuff Jeff. Personally I am quite happy right now down to 40 degrees with just a 1/4 inch GG Thinlite pad in the pad pocket of my Bridge. I have a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag and last night, at about 47 degrees I was way too hot because I stuffed a RidgeRest in there just to be safe. Forecast was for 39 degrees and I was alone so I erred on the cautious side.

Underquilts are wonderful but really I think the newcomer to hammocking should focus on double bottom hammocks and play around with pads for the summer. When the snow flies then the game changes baby!
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    It's human nature. Give a man a ball and he will invent a game around it, then add gear to play the game.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

This is the first thread that comes up searching for DOWN AIR MATTRESS. Apology in advance but has anyone tried using a D.A.M in a hammock, maybe not fully inflated, as a bottom layer for colder weather?

Edit to add scratch that I'll take it over to the bottom quilt thread.
    Last edited by obxcola; 04-07-2010 at 12:53.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It's human nature. Give a man a ball and he will invent a game around it, then add gear to play the game.
    Haha - wise words, SGT.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I feel nuts today. Well .... and yesterday too. And last Monday.
    Shug
    you don't suffer from insanity, you enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Graywolf,

Where exactly are you getting your figures from?

My complete shelter set - top uq, bottom uq, hammock, tarp and lines are 4.5lbs

For example my UQ is 11oz not 22oz??
    Straight from Warbonnets website..

Blackbird...........................28.8 oz..............175.00
    Yeti UQ.............................18.5 0z..............215.00
    Black Mamba OQ.................26.25 0z.............250.00

4.6 Pounds............................................ .....640.00

My cheap 25.00 tent that I dont use anymore weighs a mere 3 pounds

My tarp/Tent is 28 oz and cost less than 200.00

I worked hard to get my weight down. I want to keep it down..I do sleep comfotably on the ground..

However, read my last post and you will see the pros I posted for hanging..

I came close to the same figures at other sites adn YES the JrB Hammock is 899.00 Twice as much as my entire gear...Errrrrrr... But looks nice, but so does a Jag..

Graywolf

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    why is it that you only compare your tent weight to a hammock + UQ + TQ?
    You should also be adding in your sleeping bag + pad weight.
    The hammock system total will still be a little heavier than the total "tent system" weight, but not by much.
    If weight is your only criteria ... then stay with a tent.
    If weight vs comfort is a factor ... well, then .. need I say more.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I assume you have a sleeping bag and pad, Graywolf? Then that knocks off the cost. All you need is a hammock of some sort- while the BB is nice, you can make one yourself for pretty cheap. All you need now is a tarp. Up to you how much you spend and how much it weighs. You might even be able to use a tarp you already have.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast