Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    For starters (lack of funds) my current plan is to buy a xlc hammock and use my 10 x 12 Cooke custom sewing tarp for starters (and pad). If I stick with the hammock, I'll likely buy a dedicated tarp and probably underquilt as funds allow.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-o View Post
    For starters (lack of funds) my current plan is to buy a xlc hammock and use my 10 x 12 Cooke custom sewing tarp for starters (and pad). If I stick with the hammock, I'll likely buy a dedicated tarp and probably underquilt as funds allow.
    Maybe save a few bucks, get the Eldorado over the XLC (same body, bugnet minus the shelf) and put those funds towards a tarp or UQ?

Interesting thought. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What do you think about a mountainfly for winter and a RidgeRunner? Usually, with an RR, I think “13 ft” - but that's because you might want the two dogbones on each end covered if it rains. In the winter, around here, we get snow or nothing at all. So there is not so much need to have those ends completely covered. The other aspect is the ability to close a door completely. But that’s not so much a concern either - especially with the mini-doors of the MountainFly. So I’m thinking 12 ft instead of 13 ft. and that’s mainly because at 13 ft, there are fewer candidate trees and - though a RR can use a shallower hang angle - the further distance, the higher the connection point and that can be a challenge in the winter as the snow at the base of trees can be pretty soft.

On the other hand, 1 ft difference - or even 2 ft (going down to 11 ft model), seems like so little - especially if rain is not the main issue.

What do you think about ridgeline sizes?
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-15-2022 at 19:09.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I have a RR and I'm upgrading my 11' mountainfly with a 13' mountainfly, just because I like the coverage. I guess there's a chance I'll bump into a site that can handle 11' tarps but not 13', but I figure I'll make it work. I like the extra coverage and the wiggle room.

I think in snow your idea makes sense, but I'd have agita about it anyway because that's just me. One tarp, every where, good coverage.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I actually prefer an 11' tarp on my Ridgerunner. Width is a little more important to me than length. () The hammock body is much shorter on a bridge vs a gathered end, but it is harder to get a tight pitch because of the width with the spreader bars.
    Just my $0.02.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

I just went from an ENO profly XL to a mountain fly. I too was deciding between the mountain and super. I felt well covered in the MF. I like the “doors” at the end and having the ability to just duck underneath them vs having to open them every time I got to and from my hammock was the deciding factor to go with the MF. I found that there is quite a bit of room under the MF when pitched in a normal configuration.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have to remind myself that the tarp ridgeline doesn’t have to be level. So if the tree distance is a little too close for the tarp length, you can angle the tarp (low end towards the wind, etc.). An angle of about 23° will allow a 12 ft tarp to fit in an 11 ft space.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456