Not sure yet!
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Something Warm
    Suspension
    Still learning

Finally decided on kit-choices! Opinions please

Well, after STILL being awake for close to 24hrs now just reading and reading and reading, and eating, and pooping... I have FINALLY narrowed down my kit choices

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9dbl

OR

BB 1.7dbl

I really like the shelf idea of the BB and the footrest, but apparently the SB is quite wide and the foot rest isn't necessary... I like the dual zip on the SB, not sure if spreaders are in my future... Do they come pre-sown for spreaders if that addition or my own jury-rigged version comes to fruition in the future?

Tarp
    Supafly from Warbonnet - not clear if I need doors for most summer camping, even if it's rainy or can you batten down enough to stay dry? All of the fly's don't look like they're long enough to cover the ends in case of rain...

If you can suggest something else fairly large or at least put my fears to rest about wetness, please do and help me save some cash.

Plan on hanging this with an adjustable ridgeline, but am going to try rigging up with carabiners and 550 for now.

Other
    I'm going to start with close cell pads and do some cutting and pasting until I get a shape that works for me, at least until I can afford something to put between the layers of the Hammock.

I'm not certain what I want to do for suspension, I'm not clear on the basic Switchback suspension system, but I was planning on using the webbing based system with the BB until I'm comfortable enough with the whole experience to start modding.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You've outlined some very good gear choices. I have tried both the WBBB and the Switchback and prefer the Blackbird. YMMV.

What sold me on the WBBB is the lower weight and packed bulk, the fixed/structural ridgeline (which makes comfortable pitching easier IMO), and the convenience of the shelf and footbox. For me the Blackbird is more comfortable, lighter, and easier to pack.

The Switchback is bigger/roomier than the WBBB, with double zippers for the bug net (if that's important), and a bit more challenging to pitch comfortably (without a fixed ridgeline). Practice will address the ease of pitching. It's very well made.

The Superfly is not one I have direct experience with but it ought to be long enough. An 11 foot tarp usually overlaps the ends of the hammock by a foot or so at each end. In extreme wind/rain conditions, you may want flaps/doors, but picking a sheltered spot and paying attention to wind direction in your tree selection will usually serve to keep you dry.

The webbing suspension is a good start...simple to pitch and easy to adjust.

For your pad insulation, you may want to investigate the Speer SPE...or make your own clone thereof. It's a time-tested way to organize your CCF (or other pads) to give you wide protection where you need it (shoulders and knees) but still pack up conveniently. FWIW, there are LOTS of ideas about bottom insulation. Try things out to see what you like and what works for you. Most users (including me) eventually end up with an underquilt (down is lightest but priciest), but I also keep a stable of various pads for supplemental use in REALLY cold conditions. If you look at Shug's videos (again!!!) you'll notice some of his variations on the underquilt/pad theme.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Not sure yet!
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Something Warm
    Suspension
    Still learning
    Hey thanks Beep.... I've watched Shug's videos like 10 times, that's what got me here and introduced me to the BB... I neglected to notice that the SB doesn't have a ridgeline, and that was important to me... I thought it did though if you didn't want to use the spreaders, or is it more of a faux-ridgeline?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonohue View Post
    Hey thanks Beep.... I've watched Shug's videos like 10 times, that's what got me here and introduced me to the BB... I neglected to notice that the SB doesn't have a ridgeline, and that was important to me... I thought it did though if you didn't want to use the spreaders, or is it more of a faux-ridgeline?
    The SB uses a shock cord and woven "ridgeline" to hold up the bug net. It's very stretchy (by design). The spreaders (on the outside of the bug net) open up the net when zipped, but aren't required IMO. You could easily scrounge for a stick to do the same job in most situations or just do without.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonohue View Post
    Well, after STILL being awake for close to 24hrs now just reading and reading and reading, and eating, and pooping... I have FINALLY narrowed down my kit choices

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9dbl

OR

BB 1.7dbl

I really like the shelf idea of the BB and the footrest, but apparently the SB is quite wide and the foot rest isn't necessary... I like the dual zip on the SB, not sure if spreaders are in my future... Do they come pre-sown for spreaders if that addition or my own jury-rigged version comes to fruition in the future?

Tarp
    Supafly from Warbonnet - not clear if I need doors for most summer camping, even if it's rainy or can you batten down enough to stay dry? All of the fly's don't look like they're long enough to cover the ends in case of rain...

If you can suggest something else fairly large or at least put my fears to rest about wetness, please do and help me save some cash.

Plan on hanging this with an adjustable ridgeline, but am going to try rigging up with carabiners and 550 for now.

Other
    I'm going to start with close cell pads and do some cutting and pasting until I get a shape that works for me, at least until I can afford something to put between the layers of the Hammock.

I'm not certain what I want to do for suspension, I'm not clear on the basic Switchback suspension system, but I was planning on using the webbing based system with the BB until I'm comfortable enough with the whole experience to start modding.
    Thanks for considering the SB. Our hammock comes sewn for the spreader bars and we encourage people to make their own, but I prefer to set it up in A frame configuration without the spreaders. The hammock was designed without a fixed ridge line to allow each person to hang it with the amount of sag that is most comfortable to them individually. The interior line is adjustable to suit the individual. We have changed the suspension system and now use a whoopie sling suspension complete with straps, but no toggle. It is lighter than the ring buckle system and most importantly, it what our customers prefer. We will be posting the change on our web site soon. Hope this helps you make a decision, but you really cannot go wrong with either hammock, it"s just a matter of which options you like the most.--John
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear: Designer of the Switchback hammock, SB Light Hiker hammock, Light Hiker bedroll, Light Hiker diamond tarp http://stores.tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts