Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Yeah, that LAF tarp looked like it might have been a do-it-all size as it looked like it was a bit wider than the HG standard but less than the Palace. I wonder why they didn't resume making them because I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of demand.
    My guess is lack of man-power to get it done.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Complete numbskull question here, as I’ve been thinking of expanding beyond the tarp that came with my original HG tarp/hammock combo kit:

How do you decide on coverage size, particularly if you’re considering a model with doors?

I have an 11 foot hammock and the original silnylon tarp. Is there a way to set up/measure to determine how big of a doored model I need?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When considering the coverage, think about all the functions - like cooking and other things - you might be doing out of the hammock. Like the asymmetrical tarp that comes with the Hennessy Expedition is just enough to cover the hammock. But I want some “mess around” room under the tarp to cook if I have to, maybe sit in a camp chair, etc. So I’m a fan of larger tarps. For me, the extra weight is worth it.

When you are evaluating choices, it can be misleading to just look at bulk weight. It might be better to list just the weight differences between them. Like you know you need a tarp - that’s a given. By looking at the differences in weight your thought can roam into, “For only 2 more oz. I’d have more “hang out” space or doors for cooler weather or wind shifts.”

Also know that though the weight could be the same between two when dry - talking about silnylon vs silpoly now - one may have more carry weight when wet.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-23-2020 at 12:54.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Complete numbskull question here, as I’ve been thinking of expanding beyond the tarp that came with my original HG tarp/hammock combo kit:

How do you decide on coverage size, particularly if you’re considering a model with doors?

I have an 11 foot hammock and the original silnylon tarp. Is there a way to set up/measure to determine how big of a doored model I need?
    Welcome, from another Long Island'r.

Much of what is said elsewhere in this thread applies to your question. Doored or not is a separate decision from length and width since models like the Warbonnet MamaJamba and Superfly, or HG Standard with and without doors are essentially the same but with the extra protection of the doors. Keep in mind that an 11' foot hammock will have an actual length less that 11' due to the sag so an 11' tarp will provide plenty of coverage length wise, for an 11' hammock with six to ten inches past each end of the hammock (depending on how much sag you set).

Width of the tarp is a different issue and one best solved by seeing the tarps set up, or, if you're happy with the coverage you have just buy one that is the same width.

As far as doors... I am a fan. When you need/want them you'll be happy you carried the extra weight.

FWIW.. I used 12' tarps for about two years.. they were crazy wide as well. Turned out to be more than I needed and all of my tarps are now 11' long. Two are standard 8 foot width and one is a bit wider.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Thanks. I’m spatially challenged! Some people can see dimensions on a product spec sheet and know instantly that it will fit. I need to go out with my tape measure and see what it actually looks like. I’ve been using the stock HG tarp that came with the kit and so far no complaints but then again my number of nites out hasn’t been that high. I need to get out more and let experience guide me!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Thanks. I’m spatially challenged! Some people can see dimensions on a product spec sheet and know instantly that it will fit. I need to go out with my tape measure and see what it actually looks like. I’ve been using the stock HG tarp that came with the kit and so far no complaints but then again my number of nites out hasn’t been that high. I need to get out more and let experience guide me!
    All it takes is one rainy trip with blowing rain in the cold fall/winter and your decision will become easier For me and my Warbonnet Ridge runner it's a 12 ft tarp with doors and a lot of coverage on both sides. My Simply Light Designs Winter Haven provides just that. The nicer/higher the temps the less tarp I need but if there's a risk of rain the SLD is my tarp of choice. I only use my CF in the nicest of weather due to the width.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Plastic sheets, like black visqueen, are cheap; a couple of bucks. You could buy some packet and cut it to trial dimensions and see what area it covers. Afterward, you could cut it into smaller sections for "ground cloth/footprint” or other uses.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG Zippered Bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweave+fish hks
    I’m on the verge of getting the Palace from HG. I’m curious about opinions on plain vs camo. Does it offer that much more privacy or should I save the extra money and weight and go with plain green?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
    I’m on the verge of getting the Palace from HG. I’m curious about opinions on plain vs camo. Does it offer that much more privacy or should I save the extra money and weight and go with plain green?
    I like the camo for the sense that, when I am under it, it still feels like I'm under the tree canopy. Even with a full moon it almost feels like I'm not under a tarp. That..and the green ones are just ugly IMO.

Now, if you are up at the break of dawn and down after dark, and never spend a rainy day under it, it may not make any difference.

All depends on what matters to you.

I can't say for sure the difference in privacy as I have not used the green one. I have seen them though. I think that is probably not an issue. If you are under it with a light on, I'm sure you will see a silhouette, but I can't imagine any more than that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 10-18-2020 at 11:25.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    HG Zippered Bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweave+fish hks
    Didn’t think about that. Good point. Sounds like it might be worth the extra few bucks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast