Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sweden, Borås
    Posts
    7

    Question Questions concerning choice of size!

    Hello!

    I am preparing some gear for outdoor activities in Sweden next spring, so theres no rush.
    Its for casual camping only and i value warmth and comfort before lightweight.

    I know i want a double layered zip hammock but i cannot decide to go for L or XL, i am a small but heavy person 5’9 and 220!
    I noticed that L and XL has the same width so i would definately be fine with a L lenghtwise, but the weight gets close to the limit, especially if my small daughter wants to join me at some point.
    Then again i am looking at the XL but im afraid it just gets unnecessarily long at the cost of the versatility.

    How should i do?
    Also, which tarp do you recommend in the hh shop?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Merback; 09-23-2020 at 00:16.

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1-Hung-Low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Posts
    423
    I don’t know which model you’re looking at but at 5’9” the “L” would work but I would suggest the XL would be more comfortable.
    Their web site says Large for up to 6’ but that's that only 10’ long. I’m 5’10” and am more comfortable in an 11’ hammock.
    As far as a tarp goes, if you’re set on an HH brand, go with their Hex. Their tarps are heavy at 70D. I would suggest looking around at other venders for a tarp, Dutchwaregear, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet etc.
    Check these numbers from HH. https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/ha...parison-charts
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sweden, Borås
    Posts
    7
    Im looking at the 4 season expedition / explorer. I like the idea of integrated isolation between the layers, and perhaps i will add an underquilt of some sort if i find myself freezing later on.
    Thanks for the input, i will consider the XL again since we are about the same lenght!
    Right, i will have a look at the other tarps right away, im open for any solution!

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member sidneyhornblower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    outside
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    I don’t know which model you’re looking at but at 5’9” the “L” would work but I would suggest the XL would be more comfortable.
    Their web site says Large for up to 6’ but that's that only 10’ long. I’m 5’10” and am more comfortable in an 11’ hammock.
    As far as a tarp goes, if you’re set on an HH brand, go with their Hex. Their tarps are heavy at 70D.
    I'll double down on the above advice. Definitely get the longer hammock. I'm 69 inches tall and find the regular Expedition somewhat cramped. The Explorer would have been better. The Hennessey Hex in 70D is a fine tarp. Mine has lasted six years so far, but it is heavier than offerings from other vendors. On the other hand, it's priced very competitively.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Posts
    45
    I have the 4Season Explorer (XL) and my wife has the 4Season Expedition (L). I'm 5'10 and 220ish these days (thanks Covid) and for having tried both, I much prefer the Explorer (XL). I do fit in the shorter one, but feel much more comfortable in the Explorer.

    We also have the 70D Hex tarp, which has done the job so far. I may look at something lighter in the future, but "if it's not broken, don't fix it" for now!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Ga.(Macon area)
    Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Posts
    1,435
    Why do you want a double layer hammock?

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sweden, Borås
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I'll double down on the above advice. Definitely get the longer hammock. I'm 69 inches tall and find the regular Expedition somewhat cramped. The Explorer would have been better. The Hennessey Hex in 70D is a fine tarp. Mine has lasted six years so far, but it is heavier than offerings from other vendors. On the other hand, it's priced very competitively.
    Thank you for the input. Also weight is not a big deal for me at the moment so i will stick to the hex.

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    I have the 4Season Explorer (XL) and my wife has the 4Season Expedition (L). I'm 5'10 and 220ish these days (thanks Covid) and for having tried both, I much prefer the Explorer (XL). I do fit in the shorter one, but feel much more comfortable in the Explorer.

    We also have the 70D Hex tarp, which has done the job so far. I may look at something lighter in the future, but "if it's not broken, don't fix it" for now!
    Great, im glad to hear you tried both, i heard enough, xl it is

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Why do you want a double layer hammock?
    I want a double layer because i have had hard times with isolation on top of the layer before so i think this will be a good solution for me, atleast when temperature is allowing me to only use isolation between the layers.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Merback View Post
    I want a double layer because i have had hard times with isolation on top of the layer before so i think this will be a good solution for me, atleast when temperature is allowing me to only use isolation between the layers.
    Same here. I had an Explorer Ultralite XL before, and I got tired of fighting with the thermarest everytime I moved. The 4-Season pad has stayed in place so far, and I slept outside last night at 8C (46F) and my underside was fine, despite being cold above.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Sweden, Borås
    Posts
    7
    That sounds promising to me! And i suppose that when combining a spaceblanket and/or a cheaper underquilt like a snugpak will allow quite a bit harder conditions!

  10. #10
    Member kanazky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Posts
    62
    If your close to the limit in weight, I might worry about a little more stretch going on. Not sure if you like that feeling or not.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. DIY silnylon tarp size questions
      By yenemy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 09-15-2014, 18:54
    2. colour and size questions for quilts.
      By crunchiespg in forum Hammock Gear
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 06-30-2014, 23:39
    3. Tree strap questions (Length, eye size, etc)
      By mrjaw14 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 09-10-2013, 15:41
    4. FS - 2 Marmot Zues Full Zip 800 Fill Down Jackets - Size XL (Blue) , Size XXL (Green
      By Superfluous Grizzly in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-09-2012, 21:58

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •