Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Most folks using gathered end hammocks put a RL on after they find the adjustment- whether more sag or less sag(looser vs tighter adjustment between the trees) that is most comfortable for them. That way, next time they go to hang, they just pull it so that the RL is somewhat tight, and then they automatically have the same amount of sag they had last time.

I have never added one to my Speer or Claytor No Net. I just don't seem to need it. Especially with the Claytor it just doesn't seem to matter much, I can hang it fairly tight or quite loose and I am still OK. But most folks swear by the RL.

Can you give any specifics as to exactly what the discomfort was? If you can, it will be easier to suggest solutions.
    I just could not get flat enough and my legs went numb after a while I think do to them being to high above my head.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manta View Post
    is a ridgeline the rope that goes down the middle? if so than how can I attach one to the ENO
    yes. how to attach it depends, on my eno, I just attached a ridgeline to the suspension and let it catch on the bunching where the channels are. if you have whipped ends you can attach around that. you can probably search the site and find several different ways, I'd be willing to bet headchange4u has pics of just about every style somewhere.

as BillyBob says, just play with it and find what works for you. I generally just want the ridgeline to hang stuff from, it's not necessary, just helpful.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

ok so in order to get flat in the diagonal position do I need to have more sag or have it more tight?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    ok so in order to get flat in the diagonal position do I need to have more sag or have it more tight?
    More sag.

Once you get the sag where you like it then you add the ridgeline if you choose.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    more sag than you think you would need

it seems counterintuitive to me, but I know it works.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's an illustration that shows the angle from the trees. Lots of other good info, too.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

well thank you everyone for your help. I am now going out to try to put everything into practice. I will let you all know how it works out.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tinker_ View Post
    Here's an illustration that shows the angle from the trees. Lots of other good info, too.

Jerry
    nifty link there Jerry, got that bookmarked for future use. Thanks, and especially thanks to Dejoha for the illustration.

Images
    I just could not get flat enough and my legs went numb after a while I think do to them being to high above my head.
    OK, that's a start. If by "could not get flat enough", you mean that, when on your back, your knees were uncomfortable from being "hyper extended", then most likely you're going to have to do what lots of people do. That is, put something to serve as a pillow under your knees as has already been mentioned. In other words, a stuff sack with some clothing (that you don't need for sleeping) in the stuff sack.

If you mean that you are not able to get comfortable on your side, then just keep experimenting with more (or possibly even less) sag in the hammock. Some people place a small pillow under their side. Also, if you cannot get the hammock otherwise " flat enough" for side sleeping, you may also have to go to the fetal position. It just seems to me like I am better able to avoid " side torque" in some hammocks by going to the fetal position. In fact, in some hammocks, the fetal position is the only way I can be comfortable on my side.

I also find that, while in the fetal position, again with some hammocks but not all, it helps if I have whichever knee is "up", the one on top, is positioned slightly closer to the foot of the hammock. Hard to put into words. In other words, if the bottom knee (left knee if on left side) is pulled up a little bit closer to your chest than is the right knee, a little bit more into the fetal position with that bottom knee that is closer to the hammock. Anyway, sometimes this helps me. Just an inch or so in knee positioning can make a big difference. Just play around with knee positioning and you can quickly tell if it makes any dif.

As for your legs going numb: if you really think that's because your legs and or feet or "too high", then it would appear you need to lower the foot end of your hammock a little bit. But be careful with this. Most folks find that, unless using a bridge hammock, they need the foot end to be at least a few inches higher than the head end. Otherwise, you might end up sliding towards the foot of the hammock, which is most uncomfortable.

Just keep playing around with it and experimenting. You should find a very comfortable position soon enough. Good luck!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I think that illustrations by dejoha should be front page on the forum.. Answers a lot of questions in a simple, easy to understand manner.

Mods: are you listening, at least a sticky to folks that join, kind of a autoload 'welcome from the forum, please review the illustration' thing???
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast