Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

new ridge runner vs old model - do you like it?

For those who have tried both models, the newer having the updated fabric and spreader pole connection, how do you like the new over the old?

I’m thinking of switching up my older DL 1.7 w/Net to a SL, no net, newer fabric model. Haven’t calculated the weight difference yet. Curious how those who have used the older model notice the differences with the newer model.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Very happy with the newer version. The Dreamtex fabrix is quite soft and pleasant, and the spreader pole connections feel safer for my carbon fiber spreader bars.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Benjamin6264, Thank you for the report. I had a question, in the UL (ultralight) sub-forum, about the carbon fiber spreader poles. But if you are not a donating member, you can’t see that sub-forum. Did you get yours from Ruta Locura? If so, were they from overseas or the branch out of Utah? How old are they and have they held up? I understand that question isn’t about the ridgerunner per say, but the carbon fiber upgrade isn’t topically that far away and useful info for RidgeRunner owners.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-18-2020 at 17:26.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I’m not Benjamin, but I bought the Rita Locura carbon fibre bars a few years ago, from the Utah location. They lasted well. I recommend them to those who are really trying to shave every ounce.

That said, I eventually sold them for three reasons: 1) without the spreader bars, the hammock won’t work. I felt a little nervous when I was in remote areas (northwestern Ontario). I decided the strongest option was worth the weight. I sold the poles and switched to a lighter suspension [WB bucket hitch tree straps, fish hooks, continuous loop, no apex buckle] to make up the extra weight. 2) when carbon fibre goes, it goes catastrophically (I heard anecdotally, to be fair.). Not interested in jagged shards in my head. 3) the old poles had a small removable middle section, which, when removed, deepened the hammock and made it nicer for side sleeping. The newer Warbonnet poles don’t have this feature.

Just some more to think about.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    For those who have tried both models, the newer having the updated fabric and spreader pole connection, how do you like the new over the old?

I’m thinking of switching up my older DL 1.7 w/Net to a SL, no net, newer fabric model. Haven’t calculated the weight difference yet. Curious how those who have used the older model notice the differences with the newer model.
    I've used both models. An older type DL w/net was the 4th or 5th hammock I tried and I really like it. I sleep on my side and it just seems easier to do with a flatter lay, so the Ridgerunner became my primary rig.

Late last year I bought another DL RR, but with the updated soft spreader bar connections and the DreamTex fabric. Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to spend the night in it, but I've had several hangs around the house or park and I'm happy with the upgrades. I think the fabric feels nicer... it's hard to describe because the original nylon fabric doesn't feel bad in anyway, but the DreamTex fabric just feels a bit softer to the touch. The soft spreader bar connections seem more solid than the metal ones were, as odd as that may sound. It feels more snug on top of being that little bit quieter and lighter.

• + New Posts