Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I started with the zing-it and had slippage in the backyard test. I solved it by putting a loop around the lineloc. Then I decided to go to a larger and course line.

Sent from my couch
    I did the same. Swapped out to a course line no slippage since.

Hammock
    DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I too had issues with Zing-It and Reflect-It slipping out of Line Loc 3’s. I bought Lawson 2.5 mm Glowire and have not had any problems. The line feels like over kill for the tarp, but I find it much easier to work with when my hands are cold and wet. I think the increase in weight was negligible compared to the speed and ease I can adjust my tarp now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I had a terrible night once a few years ago when a hard wind and rain came out of nowhere and my zing-it lines slipped through my line locks. I was at a campsite besides a lake so I had few choices on how to hang my hammock and tarp. I've since replaced that tarps guy-out lines with Lawson glow wire in the 2.5 mm version and have been hammocking happily ever after. No slippage what so ever and no need for any knots, of which I wish I had thought of when I had zing-it installed.

I got so super soaked that night. My sleeping bag took two days in the sun to get mostly dry. It was a good experience and great lesson - since it was in July.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by FinneganMcBrisket View Post
    I too had issues with Zing-It and Reflect-It slipping out of Line Loc 3’s. I bought Lawson 2.5 mm Glowire and have not had any problems. The line feels like over kill for the tarp, but I find it much easier to work with when my hands are cold and wet. I think the increase in weight was negligible compared to the speed and ease I can adjust my tarp now.
    I think this is a better option for tarps than using zing-it. First, like you said, it's easier to work with. Second, it's reflective. Last, I like my tie-outs to be weaker than the tarp. If I trip on it, I'd rather break the line than tear the tarp.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinneganMcBrisket View Post
    I had the exact same evolution. Plus the glow ire shows up so much better at night, even with a red light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >If I trip on it, I'd rather break the line than tear the tarp.
    That’s one reason to have some bungee in the circuit - for a little give. I used to use split rings on the ridge line - sort of like a fuse - but that was when I setup with a continuous ridgeline that was like an ovel with the tarp part of the circuit. Now I use a single - not oval - continuous ridge line with the tarp hanging from it via Nama Claws. So stress on the line isn’t transferred to the tarp. If the wind is so strong that I worry about it in that configuration, it’s time to move.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I think this is a better option for tarps than using zing-it. First, like you said, it's easier to work with. Second, it's reflective. Last, I like my tie-outs to be weaker than the tarp. If I trip on it, I'd rather break the line than tear the tarp.

Sent from my couch
    I've now switch to Mason line for the tarp tie-outs. I made the Mason line into woopie slings and larks headed them onto the tarp. Loop it over the stake and tighten. It's not reflective, but if it gets tripped on it will break and not tear the tarp. No hardware, no knots.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    I found myself in some rather nasty weather in May (there was a tornado warning in effect at the time) and woke up to find that although everything held, my lines had slipped a couple of inches and the tarp was no longer taut. And this was with Lawson + Line Locs.

I haven't tried it out in the field yet, but I have since added some Dutchware tarpworms to my lines. It was a super, super tight fit to get them on the lines, but the intent is to take the tarpworm and snug it up underneath the Line Loc to prevent slippage. As others have suggested, you can just as easily tie a hitch. But I have this thing for titanium .........

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lawson Glowire/Guywire is particularly fond of Blake's hitch. No hardware and never slips even a micron.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I like Blake's Hitch too. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick. I also like it because it reminds me of an obscene hand gesture, which is how I remember how to tie it.

On my winter tarp, I use orange Reflect-It, which is a touch small at 1.8mm for Line-Loc 3s. I usually just add a slippery half-hitch under the Line-Loc after tensioning, and it holds pretty well through some rough stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast