Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Member Mgl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Posts
    58

    Dutchware DIY tarp kit......Help

    I need a tarp for my hammock and I saw that Dutchware has DIY kits for sale for around $50. And I was wondering if any other people have completed one of these and how hard it would be to complete. My Girlfriend does have a sewing machine that we could make it on. Imp debating just buying a tarp if its difficult to make.

  2. #2
    jgreenewv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible Robic1.2XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Posts
    95
    Not the Dutchware kit specfically, but a silpoly tarp was the second thing I ever sewed. The fabric is slippery and you need to take your time, but it is definitely possible.

  3. #3
    Member Mgl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Posts
    58
    awesome thank you

  4. #4
    Senior Member P-Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Ann Arbor MI
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Posts
    842
    Images
    1
    Great info on sewing slippery fabrics by Jellyfish, HF member

  5. #5
    Crazytown3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tooele County, UT, USA
    Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12' 1.1 Winter
    Insulation
    Snugpak/DIY
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Posts
    957
    Heck, I sewed my DIY silpoly tarp, so anyone should be able to. It did require about 2 weeks, and copious amounts of post-sewing session beverages, and lot's of colorful language. But I did it. You can too.

    EDIT: a BIG +1 on the Jellyfish youtube videos, and whatever she has posted on these forums.

  6. #6
    XJ35S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fulton,ny
    Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Posts
    770
    Images
    4
    One thing to keep in mind. The feed dogs will walk one layer faster than the other, without a walking foot. You have to go slooooooooooow. Keep checking everything is straight and lined up. My first sewing of sil poly I had about 4" of material past the top layer. The top layer bunched up and shortened so the bottom has extra length at the end. Pins will help with this. Scotch tape on the bottom of the pressor foot will help it slide over the material much easier also helping with less bunching.

    I now have a walking foot....

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Hammock
    Ridge pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    DIY 12’ hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, 20* bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6
    I just finished the tarp kit from RBTR. I used a sewing machine with just the regular foot on it. It was pretty easy, just go super slow and double check everything. I did not use pins or tape just my hands to hold it in place. One of the biggest things I found was make sure you set your machine up so that it stops with the needle in the down position. This holds everything in place while you adjust, move etc.

  8. #8
    Member Mgl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Heck, I sewed my DIY silpoly tarp, so anyone should be able to. It did require about 2 weeks, and copious amounts of post-sewing session beverages, and lot's of colorful language. But I did it. You can too.

    EDIT: a BIG +1 on the Jellyfish youtube videos, and whatever she has posted on these forums.
    LOL some very good info Thank you

  9. #9
    Member Mgl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Great info on sewing slippery fabrics by Jellyfish, HF member
    Thank you I will check this person out

  10. #10
    Member Mgl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    One thing to keep in mind. The feed dogs will walk one layer faster than the other, without a walking foot. You have to go slooooooooooow. Keep checking everything is straight and lined up. My first sewing of sil poly I had about 4" of material past the top layer. The top layer bunched up and shortened so the bottom has extra length at the end. Pins will help with this. Scotch tape on the bottom of the pressor foot will help it slide over the material much easier also helping with less bunching.

    I now have a walking foot....
    Thanks For the info but Most of what you are talking about im not sure what it is. My GF just got a sewing machine and ive only used it twice which is why i was wondering how hard all this is> Im thinking about just sewing a few easier projects first before the tarp.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: FS: ZPacks Hex Tarp, Dutchware Half-Wit Hammock, SLD Asym Tarp
      By baldknobber in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 06-02-2019, 15:45
    2. FS: Dutchware 11' Netless Hammock, Dutchware Summer Sock, Dutchware Winter Sock
      By ouroboros in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-20-2018, 08:47
    3. FS: Dutchware 11' Netless Hammock, Dutchware Summer Sock, Dutchware Winter Sock
      By ouroboros in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 09-03-2018, 10:39
    4. FS: Dutchware Sale - Dutchware Continuous Ridgeline, Dutch Clips, & Tato Tarp Connectors
      By Recalc in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-29-2018, 13:23
    5. FS: TARP, DUTCHWARE
      By Zilla in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-10-2017, 14:35

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •