Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

Jerven Multipurpose Bivi Tarp Hammock

This is the first time I've seen this interesting piece of kit.
    . It has added accessories like sleeves, an emergency beacon. It's fully zippered, can double as a bivi sack, and triple as a tarp. The product is very modular. The Bushcraft girl is displaying only the hammock related possibilities. I think that many would be interested in it's other potential uses while camping if we are still allowed to mention those here. It's popular in the UK and Scandivanian countries. I don't plan to get one, but thought that it might be of interest to you winter campers.
    Last thing is that it has a good lichen rock camo print... (IF I'm allowed to say that here anymore. Don't want to offend any sensitive moderator with improper language that might be vaguely confused with banned topics.)
    I will post a follow up video that shows this as a follow-up......IF that's ok.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

The fast pace of this video might be as frightening as the translation of this model's name. If you want to get to see the real action, it starts at 4 minutes and at 8 minutes begins the multifunctional description. Thereafter is the review. Check out how it disappears into the rock. I think that is cool.

If nothing else, it provides ideas for DIYers like us who have mini cottage set ups on various themes. I'm always looking for new ways to kill two birds with one stone and utilize one item for multiple uses.....No offense to anyone....no violence intended.... that's an American figure of speech in case you didn't know.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's been discussed on HF before, but not in many years. I suspect the idea of a waterproof hammock extremely limits its appeal. And there's also the issue of its supposed multifunctionality: If you use it as a tarp, you'll have no hammock. If you use it as a hammock, you'll have no tarp. And if you use it as a bivy, well, you're on the ground, and who wants that?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    I didn't know that.
    As to the h2o proof tarp/hammock conundrum, you make a point. That would limit it to tarp use, rain poncho, and perhaps utilizing the components separately for quilt covers or whatnot. The first video gets into that.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I used to be very much into bicycling, both road and MTB.

Concepts like this remind me of what I used to say about 'hybrid' bicycles... they're both lousy road bikes and lousy mountain bikes.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I used to be very much into bicycling, both road and MTB.

Concepts like this remind me of what I used to say about 'hybrid' bicycles... they're both lousy road bikes and lousy mountain bikes.
    I guess the bushcraft community thinks multifunction is the Holy Grail, but I think that''s a fundamental flaw. Why should you have an item that does one thing well when it can do two, or several things poorly? The Jerven is made for people who adhere to that philosophy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WoodsmanX & Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ synthetic
    Suspension
    in flux!
    ohhhh, that is cruel

My friend and very experienced adventurer wrote this
    https://www.jerven.com/bushcraft-uk-multimate

He got me into hammocks and has used them on at least four continents and is definitely into his light gear. He even used one while we were on a winter course in Alberta. He used the Jerven Multimate as an all encompassing over-cover, insulated, to boost the rating of his other insulation.

I think though that he has never tried using it as the actual hammock and think he would agree that it was pushing its practicality a little far.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I guess the bushcraft community thinks multifunction is the Holy Grail, but I think that''s a fundamental flaw. Why should you have an item that does one thing well when it can do two, or several things poorly? The Jerven is made for people who adhere to that philosophy.
    There's a couple of ways to look at "multifunction". One is, as you say, along the bushcraft lines where one usage precludes another even though many times you'd want to be having access to both usages. But you can also have items that perform multiple functions when the two usages don't intersect. An example would be how I bikepack - I use the handlebars of the bike as one "pole" for my tarp (I'm generally ground sleeping) so only need to take one other pole. I'm either riding or at camp/sleeping so one usage doesn't affect how the other works.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've looked at the Jerven website and do not see this specific product. Are they actually selling it?

No doubt there are some bushcraft, military, hunting, SAR and other applications for it. However, for the kind of backpacking I do it doesn't seem that it would come anywhere near the versatility, compactness and low weight of the a la carte, single use items that make up my current shelter and sleep systems.

For example, a light summer setup that includes everything — tarp, hammock, all cordage and suspension, TQ and UQ — can weigh as little as 2.5 lbs (1.14kg), and a winter kit (down to 0°F) with appropriate components can weigh a bit over 5lbs (say 2.5kg).

Heck, you can buy HG Wanderluxe kit complete for $800 and have a 20°F setup that weighs a tick over 2kg, and a couple of simple substitutions would bring it under 2kg.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    That's an interesting blog. It sounds like he made good use of it in a wide range of environments and temperatures for sure. Most of us hike in familiar terrane and go light to u.l. standards, so the appeal is lost in this forum it seems. However with trade offs, I doubt if the UL fabrics of RSBTR or cottage industry offerings would meet all of your friends needs with ONE tarp.

Most of us go back home between "tours" and resupply with the lighter gear for maybe just a long weekend.
    The luxuries and benefits if the home base vs required heavy duty gear of long travel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast