WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps

2020 AT Sobo hammock set-up

Completed my thru-hike a few weeks ago and thought I'd post what set-up I used. I started in Maine on July 2nd and finished in Georgia the day after Thanksgiving. My set-up changed as the weather changed but the overall system stayed pretty much the same.

Hammock - Warbonnet Ridgerunner with shortened dogbones and carbon fiber stretcher bars; switched to a netless RR and Spindrift in southern PA
    Under quilt - started with 50 degree torso length Lynx and switched to a 20 degree full length Lynx in Glasgow, VA
    Top quilt - started with a 40 degree Burrow and switched to a 20 degree Burrow in Glasgow, VA
    Tarp - HG Palace in DCF with carbon fiber spreader poles

My starting set-up was designed for low weight and volume. The pack I was using was small (Pa'lante V2) and the max resupply I could carry with the light set-up was about four days. After that I ran out of pack space and weight carrying capacity. Once I switched to the 20 degree quilts, I switched packs to a ZPAcks Arc Blast and still had some room left, easily carrying any weight I put in it.

I only had trouble with cold weather in southern PA (south of Hamilton to Rt 30 west of Gettysburg). Night temps in the low 40s to low 30s. I did a fair bit of hostel hopping through there and was able to get inside for most of it. Picked up the netless RR and Spindrift in Gettysburg and that allowed me to keep the light quilts and my small pack for another couple of weeks. Night temps went also back into the upper 40s to low 50s so I had no trouble. Once I got the heavier quilts in Glasgow I never worried about night temps and never felt cold until I had to get out of bed in the morning.

Overall the set-up worked well. I've been using a RR for several years and am very happy with it. I am more than willing to carry the little extra weight of the spreader bars to get the comfort it provides. The tarp was light and packed pretty small. I did get a bit nervous when the wind was up since it is a big tarp but it came through the remnants of a hurricane with no issue while in the Whites in early August so that was mostly wasted energy. The only damage to the tarp was two punctures from the ends of the hammock spreader bars when it was pitched in "storm mode" and I was lax about how I got in and out of the hammock. Both were easily repaired with DCF repair tape. The quilts worked fine and the only change I might make is to see if the V2 would hold a full length 50 degree UQ. I was always able to find a place to hang the hammock although I did have to use a few less than ideal spots. There are a lot of trees on the east coast but not all are the right size or distance apart or free from other trees/undergrowth. The RR does need a bit more space due to its length even with shortened suspension.

Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013, AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Good info, thanks for sharing. Why did you shorten the dog bones and, how did that work out.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Love hearing about a RR on a thru hike!

For the tarp was it a 12 foot ridgeline with the bridge option? Were the carbon bars for this because you don’t carry trekking poles?

Do you have any covers for your spreader bar tips?

Where did you get the carbon bars for the RR?

Congrats on completing the hike!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    Good info, thanks for sharing. Why did you shorten the dog bones and, how did that work out.
    Was trying to shorten the overall length of the hammock. It does make it a little tippier and you have to be careful not to take too much off so as not to stress the spreader bars too much.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    Tarp has 11' ridge. It was my daughter's but she never got comfortable with it (she prefers the Cloudburst) and since it was new, she struggled with the volume of the rolled tarp in her pack (she has one of Pa'lante's original Simple Packs). I never was concerned about totally closing in the ends of the tarp when pitching it and, since I shortened my dogbones a bit on the hammock, I did't have any issues with small gap at the suspension triangle. I made a set of very light carbon bars (https://www.questoutfitters.com/Tent..._Poles_&_Parts) to pull the tie-outs up. I do use trekking poles while hiking but I think the greater flexibility in the thinner bars allows more flex in higher wind conditions.

I don't have any covers for my hammock spreader bar tips. May look at grinding them back a bit just to keep them from extending as far beyond the metal corner plates. I got the CF spreader bars through http://www.rutalocura.com/. Sent them an email asking for RR spreader bars and they shipped them right out.

Right on man, happy to see RR out in the wild. I started looking at them after using my XLC

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    How much did you shorten the dogbones? Notice a change in stability? Probably sick of hanging up the RR after finishing a thur hike but some picks of your setup would be awesome.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    I shortened them to 37" loop to loop. Stability didn't change much but I have spent a lot of time in some pretty twitchy canoes over the years so I don't notice that much. I think the amount of sag you have in the hammock probably affects it more than the length of the dogbones. The biggest benefit to me was shortening the overall length of the hammock apex to apex. Lets me get into some spots where the trees are closer together than ideal.

There is a practical limit to how much you can safely shorten them before they start applying too much "side" pressure to the spreader bars. There is an old thread on here somewhere that talks about it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We are all capable of making our own decisions. But for those who are considering shortening the RR dogbones - dogbones that WB has engineered with appropriate safety measures (and they have no incentive to make them longer than necessary) - picture how you will know if you shortened them too much. Just Say’n.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'll have to look at my RR next time I have it out to measure how much shorter 37" is compared to standard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast